Introducing The Zenith El Primero 36,000 vph

koimaster (Online)
Administrator/Founder

Introducing The Zenith El Primero 36,000 vph

Post by koimaster » January 24th 2017, 9:34am

No, "The Return Of The Panda" is not the next animated movie being released by Dreamworks, but rather a serious trend we have seen developing lately, and not only at SIHH. In many ways, it is similar to the revival of the sector dial we also witnessed this past week, since both styles borrow design cues from the vintage world but with new interpretations. This new Zenith El Primero 36,000 vph is just that, bringing contrasting sub-registers to an El Primeo with the freshly released 42mm black ceramicised aluminum case.

Since 1969 and the release of the very first model, the El Primero chronograph has held a prominent role within Zenith's portfolio. It makes total sense too, since this automatic high-beat chronograph caliber represented a crucial step in watchmaking history, achieving, after many years of research, what was deemed almost impossible. The very same year Seiko and a Swiss conglomerate also released an automatic chronograph movement, but neither was high-beat, a characteristic which allows better measurement of the elapsed time, given the higher frequency of the caliber. The El Primero was not only used by Zenith, but was also adopted by Ebel and Rolex in the 1980s and 1990s (despite almost disappearing entirely at one point). To this day, it still remains the core of Zenith, which offers the chronograph in three case sizes, the original 38mm, 42mm, and 45mm.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/zenit ... 1cc48dd36b

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
TemerityB
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Introducing The Zenith El Primero 36,000 vph

Post by TemerityB » January 24th 2017, 9:12pm

Man! That's the first watch of that caliber that is actually about $3,500 less than I thought the list price would be.

As for me, there's nothing not to like. I mean, it's got all my check-off points, and the movement just pushes in into I'll Never Own It, But I'd Love To land.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » January 25th 2017, 6:24am

biglove wrote:If I am ever going to spring for one it will be the original El Primero design; not something that looks like a hundred other chronographs.

Agreed. I'll probably go vintage if I'm ever lucky enough to snag an El Primero.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » January 25th 2017, 7:47am

The dial would look better with a steel case... And they still haven't fixed the subdial overlap. The hour counter making a part of the minute register illegible is just impractical.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
H.P. Lovecraft

I'd send them all an animated gif of Ron Jeremy sucking his own cock.
Conjurer, of people asking about their Doxas
bobbee (Online)
Master of Time

Post by bobbee » January 25th 2017, 9:46am

codguy wrote:Hate the dial.
The sub-dials gives the watch a fucking Disney appearance.

^^^^^
So much this! We surely got enough Mickey Mouse watches without this "non-MM".
"O' cruel fate, to be thusly boned! Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee." ~ Bender Bending Rodriguez

Return to “Zenith”