2020 Shelby GT500: Bad start, happy ending

Cars, planes, boats & movies
Datsun240Z71
Founding Member - WIS

2020 Shelby GT500: Bad start, happy ending

Post by Datsun240Z71 » December 9th 2022, 4:46am

Just getting around to posting this:

I bought a 2020 Shelby GT500 from a luxury used car dealer in Pelham, Alabama on October 19, 2022. Car had 3,500 miles at time of purchase.

Drove the car home that afternoon, took the wife to dinner that evening, and car did great. The only apparent issues were two open recalls noted on the Carfax (brake pedal bracket and a computer update), a rattling door speaker, a misaligned headliner and a split area on the passenger door panel (hey, it's a Ford!).

The next morning, ironically on the way to the Ford dealer to set an appointment to address these issues, the car made really "bad engine noises", ran really rough for a moment, the Check Engine Light began flashing, and the car shut down. Was about 2 miles from home going about 20 miles an hour.

A real gut punch! I had to tell myself that it's a machine, machines can be fixed, and thankfully it's in full warranty! But still...

Had the car flatbedded to the dealer (it ran just enough to get on the wrecker), and followed the wrecker to the dealer. Met the service advisor who I called when the car shut down, and was told they'd get it into the shop in a few days to determine what happened.

Long story short, 26 days later, all except the door panel and speaker (both on order) were fixed. Turned out a defective secondary timing chain tensioner (a known issue apparently) caused the chain to snap. Thankfully there was no damage to the pistons or valves. The technician replaced all the affected timing parts entirely, and did it all with hand tools only, as originally done. These engines are hand-built and signed. He sent me pictures by text of the teardown and rebuild, and then, with my permission, drove it home for a few days to make sure everything was OK. Never had that happen at a dealership before!

Kudos to Ford and Lincoln of Franklin in Franklin, Tennessee. The service adviser texted or contacted me EVERY day the car was there to keep me updated, and the tech's pictures and texts over the final 10 days made me feel better about the repair. They did things as directed by Ford due to the warranty, but IMO went way beyond any service experience I've had at any dealership EVER!

Weeks later, the car runs fine, the door panel is waiting at the dealer, and the speaker is on backorder.

Update 12/9/22: Getting door panel replaced 12/12.

Here's some of the pics:

The culprit tensioner, which is supposed to be extended:

Resulting in the broken chain:

The sprockets missing the chain:

Fixed!
Randy in Nashville
codguy
ASSHAT

Re: 2020 Shelby GT500: Bad start, happy ending

Post by codguy » December 9th 2022, 7:43am

Beautiful low mileage car!! Big time congrats Randy.
5.2L, 760ish HP torque monster that is both trackable and suitable for a leisure/spirited drive on public roads.

I've driven my niece's GT350 and it was a blast despite being 200 some HP down from the GT500.

Nice to have a discussion with differing viewpoints as adults, agreement or not. I am beginning to like this place. - koimaster

Mark1
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by Mark1 » December 9th 2022, 11:43am

Nice ride. In my experience, timing chains are preferable to belts. Hopefully this one lasts the life of the engine. I can't be the only one who has noticed that customer service is in a general decline over the last few years. It's nice to see a business that is still looking out for their customers.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
robatsu (Online)
Master of Time

Post by robatsu » December 9th 2022, 1:59pm

Great car. Glad the engine didn’t get damaged.

Back in mid 90s, I moved to Cincinnati for a job.

New city, new job so new girlfriend on the by and by.

Gets far enough along that it’s time for a road trip to Ga to meet my folks.

Great trip, driving in my 3rd gen RX-7 definitely helped.

But on the way back, middle of nowhere in Kentucky, blowing along on interstate, the car suddenly runs kinda rough for a few seconds then loses all power.

Well this sucks, especially with girlfriend in tow, but we get AAA and ride back to Cincinnati and drop it off at the Mazda place

Other than the inconvenience I wasn’t too worried. The car was pushing 60k, but I had had it since new without a single problem

Because of how it failed I figured it was some electrical issue or maybe a fuel punp or something. I wasn’t too worried about it

So imagine my shock when the dealer calls and says I need a new engine, and then goes on to explain about the engine seals in these engines, which wasn’t as common knowledge then as it is now.

So I’m thinking I guess I should just sell it as is get a new car, I did have 3-4 years and 60k out of it.

But when I asked how much, the service mgr says 1500 USD, which even by 1996 standards was a ridiculously small amount of money.

So I tell the guy, that’s unbelievably cheap, but he’s completely unruffled, says the engine is only 500 USD, installation 1k

Explains that the engine core on rotary is really simple and so is the installation

I’m thinking well why are these cars so expensive then? But I keep that thought to myself and said well if I can have as much fun for 60k miles I have had with that car, eventually blowing the engine, then get a new one installled for 1500 USD, hell yeah, sign me up

I stopped by the dealership a few times during the repair, they were solicitous to me as it was a top model of theirs, and each time I marveled at how cheap this was.

Service mgr finally calls me to tell me my car would be ready tomorrow. But there was something else they needed to talk about.

They made a mistake, engine costs 5k USD not 500 so . . .

I let this sink in for a bit, then I responded, just guessing, “Doesn’t Ohio have some kind of a law that says how much you can quote and then how much you can charge me?

There was a long silence then just a sullen “yep”, to which I kindly suggested, “Well why don’t we go with that “

To their credit, they did exactly that and gave me first class service all the way through the end. Dealership is still there looking at maps

The girlfriend became my wife, celebrated 24th this year, I think it helped her case that she was the one who had AAA. RX7 was a great boyfriend car, not so much a newlywed husband car.

Anyhow I still can’t believe I discussed the pricing many times with these guys, thought it unrealistic, and I’m not in the business at all and they keep telling me no, that’s what it is.

The only reason I held them to it was no way would I have done a 6k USD repair on the car had I known it up front, would have just sold it

Glad to see it all went well with the Cobra, those are awesome. Enjoy it in good health.
smellody (Online)
Owner

Post by smellody » December 9th 2022, 2:47pm

robatsu wrote:
December 9th 2022, 1:59pm
Great car. Glad the engine didn’t get damaged.

Back in mid 90s, I moved to Cincinnati for a job.

New city, new job so new girlfriend on the by and by.

Gets far enough along that it’s time for a road trip to Ga to meet my folks.

Great trip, driving in my 3rd gen RX-7 definitely helped.

But on the way back, middle of nowhere in Kentucky, blowing along on interstate, the car suddenly runs kinda rough for a few seconds then loses all power.

Well this sucks, especially with girlfriend in tow, but we get AAA and ride back to Cincinnati and drop it off at the Mazda place

Other than the inconvenience I wasn’t too worried. The car was pushing 60k, but I had had it since new without a single problem

Because of how it failed I figured it was some electrical issue or maybe a fuel punp or something. I wasn’t too worried about it

So imagine my shock when the dealer calls and says I need a new engine, and then goes on to explain about the engine seals in these engines, which wasn’t as common knowledge then as it is now.

So I’m thinking I guess I should just sell it as is get a new car, I did have 3-4 years and 60k out of it.

But when I asked how much, the service mgr says 1500 USD, which even by 1996 standards was a ridiculously small amount of money.

So I tell the guy, that’s unbelievably cheap, but he’s completely unruffled, says the engine is only 500 USD, installation 1k

Explains that the engine core on rotary is really simple and so is the installation

I’m thinking well why are these cars so expensive then? But I keep that thought to myself and said well if I can have as much fun for 60k miles I have had with that car, eventually blowing the engine, then get a new one installled for 1500 USD, hell yeah, sign me up

I stopped by the dealership a few times during the repair, they were solicitous to me as it was a top model of theirs, and each time I marveled at how cheap this was.

Service mgr finally calls me to tell me my car would be ready tomorrow. But there was something else they needed to talk about.

They made a mistake, engine costs 5k USD not 500 so . . .

I let this sink in for a bit, then I responded, just guessing, “Doesn’t Ohio have some kind of a law that says how much you can quote and then how much you can charge me?

There was a long silence then just a sullen “yep”, to which I kindly suggested, “Well why don’t we go with that “

To their credit, they did exactly that and gave me first class service all the way through the end. Dealership is still there looking at maps

The girlfriend became my wife, celebrated 24th this year, I think it helped her case that she was the one who had AAA. RX7 was a great boyfriend car, not so much a newlywed husband car.

Anyhow I still can’t believe I discussed the pricing many times with these guys, thought it unrealistic, and I’m not in the business at all and they keep telling me no, that’s what it is.

The only reason I held them to it was no way would I have done a 6k USD repair on the car had I known it up front, would have just sold it

Glad to see it all went well with the Cobra, those are awesome. Enjoy it in good health.
Fantastic story! Wow!
codguy
ASSHAT

Post by codguy » December 9th 2022, 3:01pm

Datsun240Z71 wrote:
December 9th 2022, 4:46am
These engines are hand-built and signed.
Yep, something special when the engine builders put their names on their build !!
This is from my '03 Terminator (Ford codename)

Nice to have a discussion with differing viewpoints as adults, agreement or not. I am beginning to like this place. - koimaster

bedlam
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bedlam » December 9th 2022, 5:40pm

Mark1 wrote:
December 9th 2022, 11:43am
Nice ride. In my experience, timing chains are preferable to belts. Hopefully this one lasts the life of the engine. I can't be the only one who has noticed that customer service is in a general decline over the last few years. It's nice to see a business that is still looking out for their customers.
I find its patchy. I think you still get good service but its not as universal.

I wonder if its related to how attached the business is to a core product. If they are proud of their product I think the service follows with that. If its a company just pushing products generally then it goes downhill more often, I think.
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
Capitalism: a cult that promised to do good for the worst reasons.
Nationalism: a profound longing to go back to a past that never existed.
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » December 9th 2022, 9:09pm

robatsu wrote:
December 9th 2022, 3:47pm
Nuvolari wrote:
December 9th 2022, 2:58pm
Good on Ford - service matters. That’s fantastic the chain let go and the pistons & valves weren’t impacted. That’s a big deal on most 4v engines.
I’ve been kind of wondering how that fate was avoided.
Some engines the valves will hit the piston, some won't. I can't remember the terminology.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
smellody (Online)
Owner

Post by smellody » December 9th 2022, 9:50pm

jason_recliner wrote:
December 9th 2022, 9:09pm
robatsu wrote:
December 9th 2022, 3:47pm
Nuvolari wrote:
December 9th 2022, 2:58pm
Good on Ford - service matters. That’s fantastic the chain let go and the pistons & valves weren’t impacted. That’s a big deal on most 4v engines.
I’ve been kind of wondering how that fate was avoided.
Some engines the valves will hit the piston, some won't. I can't remember the terminology.
Interference v noninterference
Datsun240Z71
Founding Member - WIS

Post by Datsun240Z71 » December 15th 2022, 3:59am

UPDATE:
All is finally repaired. They replaced the passenger side door panel and driver's side speaker.

Great service again. Had a 1:30 appointment and was on my way at 2:45.

Hopefully, this will be the end of the issues with it, and now I just need some warmer weather to enjoy it, as the car is definitely "traction challenged", especially in the cold.

Thanks for all the positive comments. It is a helluva machine!

Last weekend at a high school car exhibition:

Randy in Nashville

Return to “The Drive in”