The old Z got new shoes

Cars, planes, boats & movies
Datsun240Z71
Founding Member - WIS

The old Z got new shoes

Post by Datsun240Z71 » November 16th 2021, 7:26am

Bought a set of tires in 2020 for the 1971 Datsun 240Z. For many years, I've been running Falken tires, with great results for a 14 inch tire. Unfortunately, discontinued and not available any longer. Choices in tires for the 14 X6 inch wheels (I got them in 1990 from a junkyard 1981 Datsun 280ZX and ran 205/60/14 tires) were limited to brands called Nankang or Federal. I went with the Federals. They were junk, but were only $200 mounted, etc. because the tire store damaged the car during installation, requiring body work on their dime, and sold me the tires at their cost. Tires were great if you were going straight.

So, back in July, I ordered a set of 16X7 KONIG Rewind wheels and Continental EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06 PLUS tires (205/55/16) from Discount Tire locally that were finally available on November 5. Needless to say, the handling is vastly improved. Ride is somewhat deteriorated, but it drives like a sports car... AGAIN! The car has Tokico 5-way adjustable struts, European market Nissan Z springs, and a larger sway bar set up in the front. Feedback through the steering wheel (no power steering) is also increased.

Here's the before and after (2 each):

Randy in Nashville
MAX
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: The old Z got new shoes

Post by MAX » November 16th 2021, 9:29am

Like the new wheels also. Have had Continentals on 2 cars and no complaints.

Like the older Zs so much better.
NRPI here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
codguy
ASSHAT

Post by codguy » November 17th 2021, 8:32am

Love the 240Z ! Had owned a '70 and also a predecessor, a SRL311 Roadster. Two of my favorite cars to drive.

Your new tire/wheel combo looks nice.

FWIW, I have had great luck with Hankook (G37) and Nitto (Mustang) tires. Worth a look when ever you are in the market for your stable.

Mark1
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Post by Mark1 » November 17th 2021, 5:55pm

The new wheels look like they should have come with the car new. Much cleaner look than the old wheels IMO. Beautiful car.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.

Return to “The Drive in”