No Time To Die

Cars, planes, boats & movies
jason_recliner (Online)
ASSHAT

No Time To Die

Post by jason_recliner » November 13th 2021, 6:29pm

Saw it last night. The opening scenes suggested this was a big movie with big story and it didn't disappoint. It's long, with a bit of a lull for about 20-30 minutes in the second act, but it's probably necessary to provide enough detail for the plot. Less attempts and jokes and one-liners than most 007 movies, but a few good ones, and warmth and humor more broadly provided by the main subplot. The ending gives some tantalising possibilites for the next instalments.

If you haven't seen it and you like Bond movies you really should see it. If you have seen it, what did you think?
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
smellody (Online)
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: No Time To Die

Post by smellody » November 13th 2021, 6:40pm

I felt like I was kicked in the balls at the end.

I was grumpy for two weeks. End of an era.

Makes me wonder about nanobots and viruses and current world affairs.

Also, why the fuck kill Felix?

Also, the lasses were HOT 🔥.
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » November 14th 2021, 7:56am

Seen it. And frankly, I'm no fan of it. Parts of it felt like a Robert Rodriguez film. Which is OK...in a Robert Rodriguez film, not in a goddamn Bond. What I really didn't like was the sheer way of being of Bond in this film. I mean... Sort of like a special forces veteran who hit the lotto jackpot and is now doing his best to spend the winnings on booze alone. Which would make a good film, just not a good Bond film.
Agree with Smells that the lasses were hot.
I always hope for the best. Experience, unfortunately, has taught me to expect the worst.
Elim Garak, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

No good deed ever goes unpunished.
Rule of Acquisition no.285
Thunder1 (Online)
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » November 14th 2021, 8:37am

smellody wrote:
November 13th 2021, 6:40pm

Felt pretty much the same here..sadly, an end of an era..but no, many of the prior films had much hotter lasses, imo..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Post by Nuvolari » November 14th 2021, 11:33am

Thunder1 wrote:
November 14th 2021, 8:37am
smellody wrote:

Felt pretty much the same here..sadly, an end of an era..but no, many of the prior films had much hotter lasses, imo..
and names - like, Pussy Galore!
Oversteer scares passengers, understeer scares drivers...
Thunder1 (Online)
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » November 14th 2021, 12:24pm

Nuvolari wrote:
November 14th 2021, 11:33am
Thunder1 wrote:
November 14th 2021, 8:37am
smellody wrote:

and names - like, Pussy Galore!
^^Just saying..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » November 14th 2021, 1:14pm

I can’t lay claim to Bond fandom but I’m not seeing an era ending. With seven actors taking swings at the role the character always was shifting.

Any random MI6 agent could step in without needing plot adjustments - it’s not like the character was ever developed. If the fan base is fixated on the name I’m sure the philanderer has a half dozen offspring that could claim the name.

“My name? Bond. Bale Bond”.

It’ll give the IP holders a chance to recycle the villains - many are well past their “sell by” date. Nothing wrong with a fresh coat of paint from time to time.

Come to think of it Ziyi Zhang would make a great Bond.
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » November 14th 2021, 1:46pm

Different strokes. For me it wasn’t dead but it was in its dotage. I wouldn’t object to a good, solid jolt from the paddles and maybe a transfusion of fresh blood.

Interestingly the latest offering was among the best critically reviewed of the lot - something like number 7 out of 25. Not a controlled survey to be sure as many of the original reviewers are, well, dead. But 7 out of 25 isn’t bad. I would have put it closer to number one.

Then again it was out tomato-metered by Shang Chi so what do I know?
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » November 14th 2021, 6:23pm

Well, if they’ve made themselves dead to the traditionalists is there any reason for them not to experiment?

I suppose they could take a page out of TV’s “Supernatural” - those guys are dying all the time and keep coming back.

Now if there was something they could do to romance the traditionalists back then there would be reason to change the current trajectory. What would do it I wonder? If the answer is “nothing” then they might as well experiment or just drive a stake through the franchise and call it done.

I’m in the “wait and see” camp.
jason_recliner (Online)
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » November 14th 2021, 7:38pm

I think they'll start a sort of 00x universe. Latasha Laylana looks like she'll be the new 007. Wouldn't be at all surprised if there's a 008 and 009 also starring. Personally I think this would make for more interesting movies with more varied and realistic plots than old man with superhuman abilities saves world yet again. I reckon we'll see more of Cici as the new Felix (Chris I also couldn't believed they killed him off). Hopefully less of a focus on a ridiculous super-terror cabal led by a Dr. Evil type. More human trafficking, drug trafficking, white supremacists, government actors. You know, things that might actually happen.

Wouldn't be surprised if they reprise Bond by way of some prequels or just earlier stories e.g. what did he do in the years after ditching Madeline?

Overall, many positive possibilities and opportunities to revitalise an increasingly stale and silly franchise. Can't wait for the next one - hopefully it drops before 2026!
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » November 14th 2021, 11:58pm

Definitely not Fleming’s Beretta 418. Prequel or not I could never wrap my head around the 418 being used as anything other than a backup concealed in one’s sock.

A local woman awoke in the middle of the night and confused her Beretta .25 for her nasal spray. She drove herself to the hospital in no obvious distress.

Just doesn’t belong on a Bond - Fleming canon notwithstanding.
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » November 15th 2021, 6:46am

smellody wrote:
November 15th 2021, 12:11am
.22, .25 it is plenty enough for James Bond!
The PPK was actually issued to British agents. If Bond’s super powers worked to rehabilitate the 418 it would perhaps be more appropriate for the MCU. Sometimes - not often - the movies correct inexplicable stuff in the books.

Christian Bale sounds plausible. Maybe Henry Cavill too. I would concede that a prequel would be too early for a babe Bond though Hayley Atwell would work - she’s got a built in fan base for time appropriate British MI6 babes. (At considerable risk from the Peggy Carter IP holders)

Return to “The Drive in”