[IMAGES] Bentley, Rolls-Royce, Packard & The Guy Who Pushed For Statehood

Cars, planes, boats & movies
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 0

[IMAGES] Bentley, Rolls-Royce, Packard & The Guy Who Pushed For Statehood

Post by Nuvolari » October 31st 2021, 11:11pm

It was a beautiful day today in the area formerly known as Alta California and I met up with a few Rolls-Royce, Bentley, and Packard enthusiasts for a little history tour that would pass through my town in the East Bay and stop by the historic Marsh Stone House before we all arrived at a winery for a late lunch and, for me, fantastic cabernet.

We all met up at a small local museum in the near-by historical town of Clayton.

I’m a touch OCD about stupid shit like this… but it drives me crazy to have cars from different manufacturers and completely different eras all mixed in together. It garbles the various aesthetics to have no lineage or evolution of design in the groupings.

It’s not big deal, really… but next time parking should be segregated, IMHO. This guy and I were of similar mind.

We eventually hit the road toward Brentwood along one of my all time favorite roads, Marsh Creek, and arrived at (near) the Marsh House which is currently being preserved while a large section of that area is being converted into a state park.

John Marsh was well-known, but not well loved…. He was the first settler in the area and wrote to influential colleagues and newspapers to entice people to head west to California territory and prefaced the ‘49er rush. He bought a Mexican land grant in 1837 and became very wealthy grazing cattle and farming. He is credited with triggering the great pre-gold rush migration to California.

Marsh sought to make California a state by attracting Americans, persuading the Bartleson-Bidwell
party to make the trek in 1841. But when they ate a prize oxen, he lost his temper and Bidwell later wrote in his memoirs, “John Marsh is the meanest man I ever met…”.

The stone house was built in 1856 and was a monument to his second wife, Abby, and daughter Alice. However, Abby died before the house was completed. Later, approximately 3 weeks after moving into the home, Marsh was on a journey to San Francisco and on the road was ambushed by three of his ranch hands over a dispute about their wages and was murdered.

The sandstone for the exterior walls was quarried on site and the bricks were fired near by. The 7,000 square foot home was designed by San Francisco architect Thomas Boyd and included seven gables in a reference to the Nathaniel Hawthorn novel.

Finally, it was time to press onward toward my Italian sandwich and red wine, damn it.

See? ^^THAT looks ridiculous - like zero forethought! A hodge-podge of automotive design and historical timing without chronology.

Mind you, they are *all* BEAUTIFUL machines - but this parking reminds me of a college roommate who used to put all the silverware together in one clump. Never separated, just all heaped together.

But, whatever… it was still fun and I had a great time. And I think the dog did, too!

It was a great opportunity to get out and about with other enthusiasts while we retraced certain elements of California history!

Oversteer scares passengers, understeer scares drivers...
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Re: [IMAGES] Bentley, Rolls-Royce, Packard & The Guy Who Pushed For Statehood

Post by Nuvolari » November 1st 2021, 9:34pm

bbattle wrote:
November 1st 2021, 9:59am
Looked to be a great time!

Is that the original or the reissue of that Longines? I was just looking at the new one yesterday. I think it looks pretty cool. And it goes well with the RR.
Thanks Bee! That is a great example of the reissue - with Watch Lord provenance.

(I got it from a doctor lawyer gardener contractor mechanic - who smells!)
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Post by Nuvolari » November 1st 2021, 9:36pm

Falstaff wrote:
November 1st 2021, 12:54pm
Looks like a splendid Cali day! I'm sure your group was the cynosure of every eye. Those Packards are spectacular! Which winery?
A little joint called, Hanna Nicole… https://hnvwines.com
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Post by Nuvolari » November 1st 2021, 9:54pm

Post Script:

When my daughter Emily was chosen to be John Marsh in her school play in the 4th grade she had to give a little speech about John Marsh (“I’m John Marsh and I planted crops and raised cattle to feed and support the miners…”).

I told her I would give her $50 if, at the end of the speech she would make a little jigity J-hook gesture with her arm and say, “…AND I REALLY STUCK IT TO ‘THOSE INDIANS’!”

Every dad I shared the story with agreed it was hilarious, though most of the moms offered inconclusive feedback

But as the lights dimmed and her part came up I had a TON of misgivings and wondered what kind of fiasco I had walked this poor child into….

Unsurprisingly, she did a great job, remembered all her lines - and then, at the moment of truth…. She walked off stage and the next character came up to do their schpeil.

In the car on the way home, I complimented her on her very mature judgment-call in deciding not to go through the gag her immature father had suggested.

A look of consternation came across her face, “Oh nooooo… I FORGOT! That stinks! I really wanted the fifty dollars!!”

Return to “The Drive in”