Daniel Craig says the next Bond should be...

Cars, planes, boats & movies
User avatar
Hawk
ASSHAT
Posts: 10670
Joined: October 8th 2010, 10:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Re: Daniel Craig says the next Bond should be...

Post by Hawk » September 30th 2021, 3:21pm

smellody wrote:
September 29th 2021, 10:48pm


I love those things! ❤ 😍 I also love Rolls Royce and Jaguar.
You should try the Travis McGee novels. The generational backdrop is about right and one of the more notable recurring “characters” is an electric blue Rolls Royce named “Miss Alice”. She’s old, had a hard life but Travis treats her well.
User avatar
smellody (Online)
Founding Member & Master of Time
Posts: 8119
Joined: December 18th 2009, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: OR
Contact:

Re: Daniel Craig says the next Bond should be...

Post by smellody » September 30th 2021, 3:39pm

Hawk wrote:
September 30th 2021, 3:21pm
smellody wrote:
September 29th 2021, 10:48pm


I love those things! ❤ 😍 I also love Rolls Royce and Jaguar.
You should try the Travis McGee novels. The generational backdrop is about right and one of the more notable recurring “characters” is an electric blue Rolls Royce named “Miss Alice”. She’s old, had a hard life but Travis treats her well.
A fine suggestion!
   Image
User avatar
jason_recliner
ASSHAT
Posts: 8432
Joined: September 17th 2011, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Daniel Craig says the next Bond should be...

Post by jason_recliner » September 30th 2021, 3:56pm

Falstaff wrote:
September 30th 2021, 7:00am
jason_recliner wrote:
September 29th 2021, 2:41pm


Every bogan/chav between here, Hong Kong, London and LA knows wagyu, LV, Rolex, Hennessy and Chateau Lafite.
Ah, but did "every bogan/chav" know them in the 50s and early 60s? At the time the novels were written, none of the items you mentioned were either the most expensive or heavily marketed - nor did any of them other than Rolex appear in the novels - so your conclusion is sheer rubbish. Bond is undoubtedly a snob, but his snobbery isn't based on the price of his preferred tastes.

Edit: As to "good taste" and whether it exists or not, those chavs in Hong Kong who can afford it prefer their Chateau Lafite mixed with Coca Cola.
Are you suggesting LV, Rolex, etc were not well known and heavily marketed in the 50s and 60s? They were, and what would be the point of amateuerishly name dropping all those brands if they were not? So your 'retort' is, because I'm too busy to think of something well phrased and unpretentious, sheer rubbish.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
User avatar
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS
Posts: 8967
Joined: August 31st 2010, 10:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Re: Daniel Craig says the next Bond should be...

Post by Falstaff » September 30th 2021, 4:51pm

jason_recliner wrote:
September 30th 2021, 3:56pm
Falstaff wrote:
September 30th 2021, 7:00am
jason_recliner wrote:
September 29th 2021, 2:41pm


Every bogan/chav between here, Hong Kong, London and LA knows wagyu, LV, Rolex, Hennessy and Chateau Lafite.
Ah, but did "every bogan/chav" know them in the 50s and early 60s? At the time the novels were written, none of the items you mentioned were either the most expensive or heavily marketed - nor did any of them other than Rolex appear in the novels - so your conclusion is sheer rubbish. Bond is undoubtedly a snob, but his snobbery isn't based on the price of his preferred tastes.

Edit: As to "good taste" and whether it exists or not, those chavs in Hong Kong who can afford it prefer their Chateau Lafite mixed with Coca Cola.
Are you suggesting LV, Rolex, etc were not well known and heavily marketed in the 50s and 60s? They were, and what would be the point of amateuerishly name dropping all those brands if they were not? So your 'retort' is, because I'm too busy to think of something well phrased and unpretentious, sheer rubbish.

My Bond is the Bond of the novels, in case you weren't paying attention. So, whatever your point may be, other than Rolex, those brands were not mentioned in the novels - although there was a reference in "You Only Live Twice" to Bond, while suffering amnesia in Japan, helping a farmer spray sake on his beef cattle and then rub them down with it - although I don't remember if it took place in the prefecture of Kobe. Would you like a Coke with your Cru Classe'?

Further, you've only read one of the fucking novels. Hardly an informed opinion.
Last edited by Falstaff on October 4th 2021, 10:05am, edited 1 time in total.
"Open the pod bay door HAL."
"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."
Post Reply

Return to “The Drive in”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest