If It Ain't Boeing, I Ain't Going--Lockheed L1011!

Cars, planes, boats & movies
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: If It Ain't Boeing, I Ain't Going--United Boeing 377 To Hawaii

Post by 3Flushes » August 26th 2021, 2:35am

Didn't these have a bad safety record? I never flew on one of these but I did fly on its jet engined successor from Boeing, the 707, on a flight with my dad to see my grandparents in 1960. It was a grand event to fly back then, my dad wore a jacket and tie for the flights, and for me flying was the best part of the trip; even the airport was great. How times have changed, indeed.
^^^Copyright ©️ 2021 3flushes Media.^^^
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS

Re: If It Ain't Boeing, I Ain't Going--Lockheed L1011!

Post by bbattle » August 26th 2021, 3:58am

I rode in one of those back in '79 to San Francisco. Big and roomy but not big enough to get away from my bossy sister.

I read the book about the crash in the Everglades. At least the investigation led to lots of safety improvements. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_L-1011_TriStar
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bbattle » August 26th 2021, 4:10am

Flying used to be an event, now it's torture. I'd rather take the Greyhound bus. I haven't been on a decently sized plane in over 20 years; tiny Bombardiers packed to the gills with gigantic people, crying babies, and massive amounts of overhead baggage.

Or 10 passenger prop planes that don't want to stay on the ground when landing. And the pilot has to seat the passengers to balance the weight.
Hawk (Online)
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » August 26th 2021, 8:12pm

Usually an A320 wouldn’t match a Bombardier for sheer torture but an obvious exception are the A320s AirAsia operates for domestic Thai flights. I’m pretty sure they jammed 600 of us on one of those things in seats designed for the average 45KG Asian. It made a one hour flight seem like a transatlantic crossing in steerage on a coal burner.

So far the smallest thing Emirates has put me on is a 777 with enough leg room you had to get out of the seat to reach the TV (which prompted the young lady to direct my attention to the remote).

Return to “The Drive in”