What's the Matador?

Cars, planes, boats & movies
codguy
ASSHAT

Re: What's the Matador?

Post by codguy » August 12th 2021, 6:10am

The only AMC cars I liked were the big motored Javelin, AMX 390 SS & the SC/Rambler.
Was never really a fan of either Hudson, Nash nor AMC's offerings except the above three.

YMMV

edit: spelling
Last edited by codguy on August 12th 2021, 11:25am, edited 2 times in total.

1) If the vaccines are effective, why do the vaccinated need to be protected from the unvaccinated?
And
2) If the vaccines are not effective, then why should the unvaccinated get one?

MAX
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Post by MAX » August 12th 2021, 8:36am

I rented one in Denver to compare it to my Javelin. No contest. Wish I still had the Javelin today.
NRPI here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » August 12th 2021, 2:21pm

Never did like these.

A friend still has his '69 Scrambler that he's modified over the years. He takes it out to the drag strip on occasion - still runs a 12.5 quarter.
Last edited by 3Flushes on August 13th 2021, 3:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
^^^Copyright ©️ 2021 3flushes Media.^^^
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bbattle » August 12th 2021, 4:21pm

A neighbor had a green Matador back in the early 80's. Ugly car. Looked ungainly, and it lurched and bobbled as she maneuvered the Abrams-sized tank out into the street.

A friend of my dad had a Javelin and that car was badass.

And you may not believe this, but in the small town in central Missouri where I lived for 11 years, they had a Gremlin club. As the driver of a '69 Firebird, I had no business with them. :-)
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Post by Falstaff » August 13th 2021, 6:36am

That model of the Matador is one of the most ungainly looking cars ever. AMC in its final days (prior to the last gasp American Eagle line) had some real dogs in the looks department i.e. Matador, Gremlin and last, but by no means least - the Pacer. The previous generation though, had some winners - Javelin, AMX and the Rebel muscle car. My dad always said Ramblers " got hot under the floorboards".
"...and I shan't quit ripping them till I do get buckled!"

J the R 1888
Mark1
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by Mark1 » August 13th 2021, 3:19pm

I couldn't watch the video because the narrator is too fucking annoying. The Oleg Cassini edition of the Matador coupe appeared in the Man with a Golden Gun. I've seen vintage NASCAR videos from the 70s, (when you could actually recognize the different car models) of the mighty Matador running 150 miles an hour but still looking like grandma's car. They even won a few races.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » August 13th 2021, 6:18pm

Slightly off-topic: What's The Matador? is a classic short by the Three Stooges; film historians recall it as being one of Curly's last good performances before poor health eventually took away his career. Yeah, the scenes of him coaxing a bull are worth your time.

However, do not confuse What's The Matador? with its eventual remake, Sappy Bull Fighters. Not only is it the final Columbia Stooge short, but they plunked Joe Besser into Curly's role, and the result is about as funny as a cyst lancing. The listless final scene - of a "crowd" of Mexicans carrying Besser off on their shoulders - is literally sad. Poorly and cheaply filmed by a bored Jules White (reportedly on one take), it's all just stretching the Stooge careers out way past their once-brilliant prime.
The Best Invicta Ever is: The ones you used to own. - Boscoe

Return to “The Drive in”