Typical Carrier launch for a E-2C Hawkeye

Cars, planes, boats & movies
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Typical Carrier launch for a E-2C Hawkeye

Post by bbattle » August 4th 2021, 4:30pm

On the way back to work, I saw what appeared to me to be an C-2 Greyhound with a red tail. That's the plane the Hawkeye would be without the radardome.

While I've seen twin rotor craft above the arsenal before, this one was larger. The Army actually has quite a few aircraft they operate besides helicopters and NASA has a bunch, too.

That female in the cockpit was not amused by the flight deck personnel. Good, salty language befitting a sailor.
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » August 4th 2021, 8:16pm

Mark1 wrote:
August 3rd 2021, 10:12am
Just like skydiving, once would be enough for me.
:chump:

You would have loved halo training :sarc:

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
gerdson
Master of Time

Post by gerdson » August 5th 2021, 3:28am

I do agree. That captain or pilot or whatever they call the guys in the Navy aviation was talking like a waterfall. All I ever understood was when the female copilot briefly got a word of "wtf" in...
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
codguy
ASSHAT

Post by codguy » August 5th 2021, 7:10am

gerdson wrote:
August 5th 2021, 3:28am
That captain or pilot or whatever they call the guys in the Navy aviation was talking like a waterfall. All I ever understood was when the female copilot briefly got a word of "wtf" in...

There was more than one person in the aircraft talking over the ICS (internal communication system) and was what you were hearing.

Some of the banter/cockpit discussion (not in order)..........

- Going through the pre-launch check list
- Setting up radios & navigation aids
- Checking windspeed/airspeed coming over the deck
- Notifying crew front & back that the plane is being broken down (removing all tiedown chains and pulling wheel chocks). Crew in the back end only know what's going on verbally from the crew in the front.
- Joking about simply being able to back up (via ground hand signals) instead of having to use a tow tractor/tow bar which is typical for other platforms and them wondering how far back they are needing to go. I am sure the back of the plane was AOW (aircraft hanging over water) prior to being pulled forward
- Notifying entire crew they were moving to catapult one and when they were crossing the JBD (jet blast deflector)
- Joking about how green (inexperienced) some of the deck hands were performing.... despite doing this for months (training newbies???)
- Checking to ensure all is clear before spreading the wings and checking to ensure locked in place (red metal flags near nacelles drops indicating wing locks deployed)
- Looking for, seeing and ok-ing the the aircraft take-off weight (54,000 pounds in this instance)
- Going into attention (catapult is pulling on the aircraft just prior to being shot off)
- Triple checking everything (engines, flight controls, crew ready, checklist complete) prior to acknowledging the aircraft was ready for launch by the pilot saluting the Catapult Officer (guy in the yellow jersey touching the deck signaling to launch)

- Then enjoying the E-ticket ride only a small portion of the population can ever do.

Well that.... and some small talk with a curse word or three thrown as required per Navy Tradition

1) If the vaccines are effective, why do the vaccinated need to be protected from the unvaccinated?
And
2) If the vaccines are not effective, then why should the unvaccinated get one?

gerdson
Master of Time

Post by gerdson » August 5th 2021, 7:29am

:Thumbsup:

I just watched parts of it again and could understand more than this morning, when only watching it on my phone.

I am also pretty happy that all the talks we had on the "Battalion HOT loop" back in my SAM days were never recorded, not to speak about internal comms within the Battery Command Center... :mrgreen:
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer

Return to “The Drive in”