Meet Concorde’s million mile man

Cars, planes, boats & movies
koimaster
Founder

Meet Concorde’s million mile man

Post by koimaster » July 27th 2021, 10:05pm

“It was a sports car, it wasn’t a Rolls Royce,” says Fred Finn wistfully as he provides a second-by-second account of taking off in Concorde, the iconic supersonic airliner. “It was bumpy — you sure felt it — and with the full reheats on, Concorde was like a fighter,” he says with a smile. Of course, for Frederick W Finn, describing every surge, smell and sound of a Concorde at full chat is second nature. At the age of 81, he holds the Guinness World Record for the most supersonic passenger flights. Of the 15 million miles Finn clocked up in the sky, 2.5 million of those were recorded on the 718 Concorde flights he took between 1976 and 2003, in ‘his’ seat 9A. Why that particular seat? Because “that’s where they started the refreshment service from,” of course. Fast becoming a regular on the supersonic service, Finn would always find a complimentary half bottle of Dom Perignon stashed under his seat to welcome him back to his 11-mile high, 1,350 mph home. “I became an ad hoc part of the Concorde family and still I am very much so to this day,” he says.

https://www.thegentlemansjournal.com/ar ... -mile-man/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
Hawk
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Meet Concorde’s million mile man

Post by Hawk » July 28th 2021, 1:28pm

One assumes that was before the Trent 900 issue. I don’t usually pay attention to uncontained failure, defective oil stubs or airworthiness directives but I’ve got about 150,000 miles on that bus.

Shit can happen in spite of a “RR” sticker. Good on them getting it in hand promptly after the one gave the bogans some stress. No deaths but dry cleaning the pants wasn’t sufficient - they probably needed to be burnt.

https://www.industryweek.com/operations ... gine-blast
smellody
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by smellody » July 28th 2021, 2:08pm

Hawk wrote:
July 28th 2021, 1:28pm
One assumes that was before the Trent 900 issue. I don’t usually pay attention to uncontained failure, defective oil stubs or airworthiness directives but I’ve got about 150,000 miles on that bus.

Shit can happen in spite of a “RR” sticker. Good on them getting it in hand promptly after the one gave the bogans some stress. No deaths but dry cleaning the pants wasn’t sufficient - they probably needed to be burnt.

https://www.industryweek.com/operations ... gine-blast
Remember that a Rolls Royce does not break down. It merely fails to proceed.
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bbattle » July 28th 2021, 2:36pm

Back in 1999, an Air France Concorde landed in Huntsville, Alabama.

https://www.al.com/news/2014/11/this_da ... ry_10.html

And for watch fiddlers, the flight began at 1pm local time and arrived at 1:20pm local time.

Side note: a replica of the Pinta is here, docked at the local marina. I saw it Sunday but didn't pay the $5 to go inside. That was a small vessel to be crossing the Atlantic. Wow.

https://whnt.com/news/huntsville/pinta- ... ng-friday/
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » July 28th 2021, 4:10pm

A co-worker took a turn on the Concord.

Regrettably for most of my flying NY to London is barely getting started and the Concord wasn’t much good for anything else. Long before it was SE Asia for personal trips it was working trips to Saudi, Qatar and China. The boss hogged the German, Italian and British trips for himself while he was sending me to stand ankle deep in sand. Bahrain was pleasant though.
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » July 28th 2021, 4:51pm

Hawk wrote:
July 28th 2021, 4:10pm
A co-worker took a turn on the Concord.

Regrettably for most of my flying NY to London is barely getting started and the Concord wasn’t much good for anything else. Long before it was SE Asia for personal trips it was working trips to Saudi, Qatar and China. The boss hogged the German, Italian and British trips for himself while he was sending me to stand ankle deep in sand. Bahrain was pleasant though.

My first flight to europe was on a TWA Connie with my grandparents. Sleeping berths included. While in Bahrain did you happen to come across an "aviator" who worked supply at the navy base there?

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » July 28th 2021, 5:22pm

Nope. Bahrain was actually a sort of R&R at the urging of a Korean contractor we were working with in Qatar. It was a teensy bit like an alcohol fueled party place set compared to the surroundings.

The only aviator was flying the plane. The closest I came to a European trip were stopovers in Paris and London. And the closest I got to a naval base was driving past a NAS in Grand Prairie, Texas.

Come to think of it I did have a few days in Paris. The goof that booked my flights had me running as the arrival was 20 minutes before the departure. After about 100 yards I said “fuck this” and slow walked it. Missed my flight. Served ‘em right.

Return to “The Drive in”