Lunch with Charlie

Cars, planes, boats & movies
Mark1 (Online)
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Lunch with Charlie

Post by Mark1 » July 16th 2021, 8:01am

A friend and I decided to take "Charlie", (shorthand for our aircraft call sign) up to Friday Harbor in the San Juan Islands for lunch yesterday. A marine layer (clouds) hung over most of western Washington until late morning. As it began to burn off down south we got an FAA weather briefing. All three of us expected it to burn off enroute. It never really did, but we were able to make the flight going VFR on top. Going up we went at 6500 feet to maintain clearance over the cloud deck. Crappy cell pics I took as copilot on the way up.

Mount Rainier towers over the 5000 foot or so cloud layer.

The green box on our GPS depicts the prohibited airspace over Bangor, a nuclear sub base.

Finally out of the clouds, Friday Harbor is severe clear. The airport is off the right wing. We fly west over the island to lose altitude before turning inbound. Some pretty spendy real estate around here.

On final for runway 16 Friday Harbor.

Walking downtown for lunch, you can see how most people get to Friday Harbor, the ferry landing.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1 (Online)

Re: Lunch with Charlie

Post by Mark1 » July 16th 2021, 9:47am

codguy wrote:
July 16th 2021, 8:56am
Waaaay cool!

Let me know when you might be in the Gig Harbor area on a Tuesday!
Our airplane is tied up for most of the next month with Oshkosh and another members camping trip. If you or John (or both) wanted to meet up there for lunch I could probably drive up. The Hub restaurant (right on the airport) has Taco Tuesday which I can recommend from experience. If I drove up I could even have a beer with lunch.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
codguy
ASSHAT

Post by codguy » July 16th 2021, 10:27am

It is quite the drive (and bridge toll) for a simple Taco lunch & brew.... just saying.

Instead we can meet somewhere half way for a casual lunch & cervezas.... but the place will need to have beer kegs on tap, cuz we know how conj can pound that stuff.

#LETSGOBRANDON

Mark1 (Online)

Post by Mark1 » July 16th 2021, 5:34pm

codguy wrote:
July 16th 2021, 10:27am
It is quite the drive (and bridge toll) for a simple Taco lunch & brew.... just saying.

Instead we can meet somewhere half way for a casual lunch & cervezas.... but the place will need to have beer kegs on tap, cuz we know how conj can pound that stuff.
Okay, anyone can pick a spot-I'm easy. I mentioned the airport because you said Gig Harbor.
Mark1 (Online)

Post by Mark1 » July 18th 2021, 8:40am

conjurer wrote:
July 16th 2021, 9:21pm
Great pics, Mark!

Let me know if you guys want to meet up. My current days off are Mondays and Tuesdays.

Okay, you and cod pick a time and place and I will drive up that way.
codguy
ASSHAT

Post by codguy » July 18th 2021, 10:28am

Since I'm on a strict budget (being retired and poor), this hole in the wall joint in Chehalis looks promising (but it could be crap). I say for a 1:00 - 2:00ish lunch, conj can pick the date.

I've never been there before but a quick web check of the joint looks ok. Not the ritzy/fancy/schmancy joints you both typically dine at but .........

Chehalis is a happy middle point between us but I'm open to go anywhere you guys choose.
Haven't checked to see if there was a Golden Corral around there but I can look into it if you like.

Here are some links to above mentioned dive:

https://taqueriajuquilita.food96.com/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... ngton.html
Last edited by codguy on July 18th 2021, 10:39am, edited 1 time in total.

#LETSGOBRANDON

codguy
ASSHAT

Post by codguy » July 18th 2021, 10:35am

And here are acouple Mount Rainer picks from ground level (posting to advance my post count).

The two pics are maybe two miles apart.

From basically my back yard

and from my previous favorite golf course........ which they ripped up and planted about 400 more homes

#LETSGOBRANDON

Mark1 (Online)

Post by Mark1 » July 18th 2021, 5:13pm

codguy wrote:
July 18th 2021, 10:28am
Since I'm on a strict budget (being retired and poor), this hole in the wall joint in Chehalis looks promising (but it could be crap). I say for a 1:00 - 2:00ish lunch, conj can pick the date.

I've never been there before but a quick web check of the joint looks ok. Not the ritzy/fancy/schmancy joints you both typically dine at but .........

Chehalis is a happy middle point between us but I'm open to go anywhere you guys choose.
Haven't checked to see if there was a Golden Corral around there but I can look into it if you like.

Here are some links to above mentioned dive:

https://taqueriajuquilita.food96.com/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... ngton.html
That works for me. Tacos and cerveza. Plus, it's only blocks away from the Green Hill School, that juvey facility with the barbed wire fences you see from I5. Anybody gets out of line, you're going to school. Pick a date.

Return to “The Drive in”