Sunday at the races

Cars, planes, boats & movies
Mark1
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Sunday at the races

Post by Mark1 » July 12th 2021, 8:11am

Codguy and I met up at Portland International Raceway for the 60th annual Rose Cup Races. After a year off due to covid, the crowd was a little smaller and the race field was also smaller. After all, a few months ago the events status this year was uncertain. Cars from many different classes were there and sometimes multiple classes were on the track at the same time. It was at times a little confusing, following a race within a race, but still a good time. For the most part these folks are hobby racing people who love to talk about their hobby (sound like anyone we know?) so a lot of them are very approachable. We wandered through the pit area talking to any of them that didn't look too busy. From middle aged guys racing 125 or 250cc Go Karts capable of speeds well over 100 mph to Spec racers of several varieties. Little 900 lb. open wheel Formula Fords with 115HP inline 4's to Spec Racer Fords to Spec Miatas to production based cars with big bore classes, small bore sports cars and several more. There was also a vintage class of racecars running as built with modern safety equipment.

Spec Racer Fords running through the chicane.
Spec Racer Ford goes around in the chicane. Flat spotted tires and a bruised ego but no body damage.
Here's your watch forum shot. A Hublot sponsored Ferrari competing for the Rose Cup.
Spec Miata racers coming through turn 12. Not the best pic, the camera focus is broken by the fence top.
A couple of the Kart racers, well over 100 mph, two inches off the ground.
Formula Fords running the chicane. We visited with the #14 for a while in the pits, really good guy, he finished 5th.
The class of the field in the Rose Cup race was this Challenger Hellcat which lapped everybody.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.

Return to “The Drive in”