Electrical vehicle fires

Cars, planes, boats & movies
Post Reply
User avatar
codguy
ASSHAT
Posts: 8205
Joined: June 9th 2011, 10:00pm
Contact:

Electrical vehicle fires

Post by codguy » June 21st 2021, 5:59am

It’s the kind of blaze that veteran Chief Palmer Buck of The Woodlands Township Fire Department in suburban Houston compared to “a trick birthday candle.”

On April 17, when firefighters responded to a 911 call at around 9:30 p.m., they came upon a Tesla Model S that had crashed, killing two people, and was now on fire.

They extinguished it, but then a small flare shot out of the bottom of the charred hulk. Firefighters quickly put out those flames. Not long after, the car reignited for a third time.

“What the heck? How do we make this stop?’” Buck asked his team. They quickly consulted Tesla’s first responder guide and realized that it would take far more personnel and water than they could have imagined. Eight firefighters ultimately spent seven hours putting out the fire. They also used up 28,000 gallons of water — an amount the department normally uses in a month. That same volume of water serves an average American home for nearly two years.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/autos/ ... s-n1271084



At least the are good for the environment..........and salmon.
.



Image

Super-Spreaders traveling to meca.....

.
User avatar
Masshole (Online)
Posts: 262
Joined: April 12th 2021, 11:53pm
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Re: Electrical vehicle fires

Post by Masshole » June 21st 2021, 6:48am

Reminds me of the old Volkswagens years ago. When they caught on fire the block would get so hot that water could not cool them off and extinguish it. They figured out to dump sand on the block and it would heat the sand enough to turn it to glass. At that point the glass would starve the block of oxygen and it would smother the fire out.
I would think this would have to be done to these Tesla’s
User avatar
smellody (Online)
Founding Member & Master of Time
Posts: 7707
Joined: December 18th 2009, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: OR
Contact:

Re: Electrical vehicle fires

Post by smellody » June 21st 2021, 8:28am

Masshole wrote:
June 21st 2021, 6:48am
Reminds me of the old Volkswagens years ago. When they caught on fire the block would get so hot that water could not cool them off and extinguish it. They figured out to dump sand on the block and it would heat the sand enough to turn it to glass. At that point the glass would starve the block of oxygen and it would smother the fire out.
I would think this would have to be done to these Tesla’s
As a preventative measure, let dig a deep hole and bury them all.

Fake cars.
   Image
User avatar
Masshole (Online)
Posts: 262
Joined: April 12th 2021, 11:53pm
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Re: Electrical vehicle fires

Post by Masshole » June 21st 2021, 8:44am

smellody wrote:
June 21st 2021, 8:28am
Masshole wrote:
June 21st 2021, 6:48am
Reminds me of the old Volkswagens years ago. When they caught on fire the block would get so hot that water could not cool them off and extinguish it. They figured out to dump sand on the block and it would heat the sand enough to turn it to glass. At that point the glass would starve the block of oxygen and it would smother the fire out.
I would think this would have to be done to these Tesla’s
As a preventative measure, let dig a deep hole and bury them all.

Fake cars.
Agreed!
User avatar
smellody (Online)
Founding Member & Master of Time
Posts: 7707
Joined: December 18th 2009, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: OR
Contact:

Re: Electrical vehicle fires

Post by smellody » June 21st 2021, 9:39am

Regardless of what Foggy says, cars and wrist watches can have soul. A car should go vroom. A car should make you want to wash it and wipe it down with a diaper. Coastal and mountain views should involve the car. A car should make your heart beat faster when you put you foot into it halfway through a corner.

If cars don't do that for you, then you or the car have not yet experienced this soul that I speak of.

I had an electric car too. When I was a kid. It had a remote. It took batteries. It was fun until the batteries ran out and had to be recharged.

That was nothing to the thrill of the roar of an XKE or a 289 Cobra or watching the Spirit of Ecstacy salute when she bobs up when you punch all 6.75 liters from a stoplight.
   Image
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS
Posts: 1425
Joined: July 11th 2019, 2:51pm
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Re: Electrical vehicle fires

Post by bbattle » June 21st 2021, 2:42pm

Sand is the preferred material for putting out reactive metal fires. Lithium, Calcium, sodium, potassium metals and their hydrides are extremely flammable and water just makes things worse.

A lot of fire departments will be better off to just let the car burn. Except the car may burn for several hours and there's a possibility of batteries exploding.

wow! fun fact Did you guys know Dolph Lundgren has more degrees in science than Bill Nye? For that matter, so do I. I never boxed Rocky, though.
DocKlock
Senior Member & WIS
Posts: 601
Joined: December 25th 2010, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: CNY
Contact:

Re: Electrical vehicle fires

Post by DocKlock » June 22nd 2021, 7:04am

Didn't realize that many 'battery packs' are comprised of a bizillion 18650 3.7 volt Li-ion batteries. What could possibly go wrong??
While these electric toys might work for a VERY mall segment of society -- they simply won't work for the vast majority.
Example --- I live in a small city of 30,000. Many people park on the street and we have year-around alternate side parking. So I can run an extension cord out my window, across the street and charge up my car/truck??
I also live in the Northeast of the country --- we have winter 6 months a year. Doesn't do well for batteries, especially using heat/defrost in addition to moving the car.
And last but not least -- we don't have the electrical infrastructure to even begin to support the "proposed" flood of electric cars/trucks.
Some major companies, like Ford, are putting an awful lot of faith in people buying electric trucks. Can't haul squat; cost a fortune; and the range is extremely exaggerated.
Can't wait for huge cities like LA (and the like) to have massive traffic jams because someone "forgot" to plug in their ride before leaving home. Can't just call AAA and have them fill up the battery tank.
And don't even get me started on the foolish venture Harley Davidson took with their electric MC. Instead of the beautiful "potato-potato-potato" sound it was .
User avatar
codguy
ASSHAT
Posts: 8205
Joined: June 9th 2011, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Electrical vehicle fires

Post by codguy » June 22nd 2021, 7:40am

DocKlock wrote:
June 22nd 2021, 7:04am
And don't even get me started on the foolish venture Harley Davidson took with their electric MC. Instead of the beautiful "potato-potato-potato" sound it was .
Yep. You know this country is going to shit with plug-in Harleys.

I cringed when I heard Porsche was making a fucking four door 911.......... a car only those from Austin TX or Seattle WA could jizz over................

and then I find out about the fucking four door, battery powered Mustang.

Image

Though admittedly, I would find it entertaining to watch one (or acouple dozen) of them burn to the ground while all the time thinking of the negative impact to the environment they would cause.
.



Image

Super-Spreaders traveling to meca.....

.
iwasbanned (Online)
Master of Time
Posts: 6275
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Austin, Texas
Contact:

Re: Electrical vehicle fires

Post by iwasbanned » June 22nd 2021, 7:54am

codguy wrote:
June 22nd 2021, 7:40am
I cringed when I heard Porsche was making a fucking four door 911.......... a car only those from Austin TX or Seattle WA could jizz over................
WTF man... take it easy on a brother out here in Austin. I actually don't see many 4 door Porche's around here, though I do see tons of Teslas, lots of ferrari and some lambo's. I myself drive a 14 year old Acura TL, the best looking model they've ever made :). I do want a Ford Raptor though as my next car.
User avatar
DoctorIvey
Senior Member & WIS
Posts: 1184
Joined: May 19th 2011, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Electrical vehicle fires

Post by DoctorIvey » June 22nd 2021, 10:05am

DocKlock wrote:
June 22nd 2021, 7:04am
Didn't realize that many 'battery packs' are comprised of a bizillion 18650 3.7 volt Li-ion batteries. What could possibly go wrong??
While these electric toys might work for a VERY mall segment of society -- they simply won't work for the vast majority.
Example --- I live in a small city of 30,000. Many people park on the street and we have year-around alternate side parking. So I can run an extension cord out my window, across the street and charge up my car/truck??
I also live in the Northeast of the country --- we have winter 6 months a year. Doesn't do well for batteries, especially using heat/defrost in addition to moving the car.
And last but not least -- we don't have the electrical infrastructure to even begin to support the "proposed" flood of electric cars/trucks.
Some major companies, like Ford, are putting an awful lot of faith in people buying electric trucks. Can't haul squat; cost a fortune; and the range is extremely exaggerated.
Can't wait for huge cities like LA (and the like) to have massive traffic jams because someone "forgot" to plug in their ride before leaving home. Can't just call AAA and have them fill up the battery tank.
And don't even get me started on the foolish venture Harley Davidson took with their electric MC. Instead of the beautiful "potato-potato-potato" sound it was .
I agree with everything you said, but make no mistake: electric cars are the future. It isn’t a proposal, they’re being foisted upon us. Even someone who pays no attention can see that there is no free market democracy/republic at work. Electric cars are the future, and the consumer (or voter if you will) has no say in the matter.
User avatar
Hawk (Online)
ASSHAT
Posts: 10498
Joined: October 8th 2010, 10:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Re: Electrical vehicle fires

Post by Hawk » June 23rd 2021, 4:21pm

My wife’s Volt provided a couple of surprises. The first being its failure to short out when a flooded Florida road turned out to be deeper than I expected. The second was not catching on fire when she reduced it to component parts in a spectacular wreck. At any rate it was replaced with something more traditional and the garage charger is gathering dust.

The electric Harley was no doubt some mixture of heresy and sacrilege but some Harley fans are too hide bound and more averse to change of any sort than the Vatican’s college of cardinals. At least that was my impression when parking my V-Rod rental in the middle of a bunch of “proper” Harleys. To this day I don’t know what it did to annoy them so completely. It made the right noises so maybe it was the overhead cams, the liquid cooling or Porsche’s involvement. Maybe the conspicuous lack of cruiser chops or park bench ergonomics?

Buncha damn mossbacks. Never did buy it - not because I didn’t like it but more to avoid needless controversy.
User avatar
Mark1
Founding Member & Master of Time
Posts: 8448
Joined: December 19th 2009, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Oregon
Contact:

Re: Electrical vehicle fires

Post by Mark1 » June 23rd 2021, 5:58pm

Take it from a retired industrial electrician, electrical energy (AC or DC) is converted into mechanical work or it just creates heat. In the event of an electrical fire, you isolate the electrical feeder source, or it burns to the ground. This is why the National Electrical Code Book is written by the NFPA, (National Fire Protection Association.)
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
Posts: 32836
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Electrical vehicle fires

Post by conjurer » June 23rd 2021, 10:57pm

Interestingly, I don't believe in EVs. I just don't. Yesterday, me and Mrs. C took my Sonata 1.6 turbo on a road trip to Ocean Shores. We rode in total comfort, with a full tank of gas; the trip cost me twenty five dollars in fuel.

I could. instead, have piloted the car east to visit my brother in Chicago. The Sonata has nearly five hundred miles of range on the tank on highways (heading to Ocean Shores, we had to pass through Aberdeen, WA, the birthplace of Kurt Cobain and literally nothing else, slowing down to thirty and enduring many stoplights and sew Fourth, and the car still averaged 38.5 mpg). I would have had to stop five times for gas to Illinois. There are, according to Google, 168,000 gas stations in the US. Each stop would have cost me, at most, five to ten minutes of time before I returned to the interstate.

Gas rules.
User avatar
smellody (Online)
Founding Member & Master of Time
Posts: 7707
Joined: December 18th 2009, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: OR
Contact:

Re: Electrical vehicle fires

Post by smellody » June 24th 2021, 7:28am

conjurer wrote:
June 23rd 2021, 10:57pm
Interestingly, I don't believe in EVs. I just don't. Yesterday, me and Mrs. C took my Sonata 1.6 turbo on a road trip to Ocean Shores. We rode in total comfort, with a full tank of gas; the trip cost me twenty five dollars in fuel.

I could. instead, have piloted the car east to visit my brother in Chicago. The Sonata has nearly five hundred miles of range on the tank on highways (heading to Ocean Shores, we had to pass through Aberdeen, WA, the birthplace of Kurt Cobain and literally nothing else, slowing down to thirty and enduring many stoplights and sew Fourth, and the car still averaged 38.5 mpg). I would have had to stop five times for gas to Illinois. There are, according to Google, 168,000 gas stations in the US. Each stop would have cost me, at most, five to ten minutes of time before I returned to the interstate.

Gas rules.
Very sensible.
   Image
Post Reply

Return to “The Drive in”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest