Proud Anglophile

Cars, planes, boats & movies
smellody (Online)
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Proud Anglophile

Post by smellody » May 26th 2021, 1:52pm

You may have picked up that I'm a proud Anglophile. My father, a war baby, was born in Stratford. His great-grandfather, Charlie, arrived in America in 1852 via Edinburgh. I've had many happy trips to England to meet my great aunties before they passed. British cars have always been in my blood. My father had a '59 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud I and a '54 Jaguar Mk7M when I was a young boy. When I was 12 he bought the '62 Jaguar Mk2 that I took over as my own.

Fast forward to adult hood. I sold the Mk2 when I got married, as I lost my garage storage, and sold my '69 XKE to pay for the building materials to make our 420 square ft house 744 square feet when my first baby was due. A little more than a decade later I replaced my lost cars with my low mileage '91 Rolls Royce Silver Spur II. Might I add the only British car I've owned that always starts and never leaks. I guess at $176,500 new it had to be good.

The Rolls is amazing and Mercedes also always start, but I missed having a Jaguar. About eight years ago I bought my '97 XK8.

Love it. The only problem it had was the headliner sunk to my shoulders. I promptly bought 3M adhesive and ended up with a still sagging headliner with what looked like snot trails soaked through. Next step.... remove the headliner. A few years and 40k miles later there ZF transmission gave up while returning from Bend. I made it home in limp mode and parked it in the Jag in the garage. It took a couple of years but I finally sourced and installed a low mileage junk yard transmission myself. The car sat another year or two before I actually started driving it again regularly this year. The car was great, sans the headliner.

I loved Austin Power's Shaguar

and had an idea to adhere the Union Jack in flag form as the headliner. I found an actual auto upholsterer (something I have not used in 25 years) and took him my project. He said the flag was too thin. I agreed and asked him to adhere some nice grey headliner material to the form and call me when it was ready.

Six weeks later he sent me this picture.

He had sourced a large enough fleece blanket from the BBC website and made it into my new improved headliner. I was over the moon.

I installed it last week.

I hope you can appreciate it. It makes me beyond happy every time I drive my XK8. I imagine only dirtbag will understand the shagging possibilities in a Shaguar. I might add that the cockpit is very quiet now with a headliner again...

gerdson
Master of Time

Re: Proud Anglophile

Post by gerdson » May 26th 2021, 10:13pm

Rule, Britannia....

Wife and I love the UK (as most German do, of course we are not overly impressed by their cars quality). We can't wait to go to Wales again for vacation.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » May 26th 2021, 10:41pm

gerdson wrote:
May 26th 2021, 10:13pm
Rule, Britannia....

Wife and I love the UK (as most German do, of course we are not overly impressed by their cars quality). We can't wait to go to Wales again for vacation.
You guys almost bought property there in the forties, if us Americans hadn't come along.
smellody (Online)

Post by smellody » May 26th 2021, 10:50pm

conjurer wrote:
May 26th 2021, 10:41pm
gerdson wrote:
Rule, Britannia....

Don't like British car quality? Try a French car!
You guys almost bought property there in the forties, if us Americans hadn't come along.
Don't like British? Try French car quality!
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » May 26th 2021, 11:23pm

smellody wrote:
May 26th 2021, 10:50pm
conjurer wrote:
May 26th 2021, 10:41pm
gerdson wrote:
Rule, Britannia....

Don't like British car quality? Try a French car!
Don't like British? Try French car quality!
Interestingly, you didn't catch my ball-breaking of A) the Brits, for not being able to handle the Germans by themselves, which they couldn't, and my ball-breaking of B) the Germans, for always coming second to the US of A.

BTW, German car quality is the best, followed very closely by the South Koreans. There. I said it.
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » May 27th 2021, 4:02am

conjurer wrote:
May 26th 2021, 11:23pm

BTW, German car quality is the best, followed very closely by the South Koreans. There. I said it.
Really? Not sure about that. We have zero German cars on our fleet. In my experience they are good at perceived quality - soft dashboards and silver painted plastic - but the engineering is second rate. Toyota, again, in my experience, is how MB was pre-90s. Engineered and manufactured to a standard, not to a price.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
smellody (Online)

Post by smellody » May 27th 2021, 6:27am

jason_recliner wrote:
May 27th 2021, 4:02am
conjurer wrote:
May 26th 2021, 11:23pm

Really? Not sure about that. We have zero German cars on our fleet. In my experience they are good at perceived quality - soft dashboards and silver painted plastic - but the engineering is second rate. Toyota, again, in my experience, is how MB was pre-90s. Engineered and manufactured to a standard, not to a price.
I'd rather push a three ton British car than drive a Japanese car.

Toyota is like Seiko of the car industry. Not my bag.
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bbattle » May 30th 2021, 3:28pm

That headliner is Shagadelic, Baby!

My '95 Honda Civic was assembled in USA using more domestically-sourced parts than a Cadillac. I think the transmission was the only Japanese part. My 2003 Honda Element was also assembled in the USA.

My VW GTi was assembled in Mexico. Passats are assembled just up the road in Chattanooga.

Toyota/Mazda is building an assembly plant here in the Rocket City; Toyota already has an engine plant here.

Hyundai has an assembly plant in Montgomery for their sedans.

Mercedes Benz has an assembly plant in Vance, AL. Between B'ham and T-town. They started out making the M-Class. Not sure what they are doing now but the place is huge. They always sponsor a nice biergarten in Tuscaloosa every year at a big whole hog barbecue competition.

Where a car is put together doesn't matter; it's the design team that's important. That, and a good quality control department. British cars are notorious for breaking down. A lot. My dad's '72 MGB was awesome for the first 40k; then it spent more time in the shop than on the road. Just like my '69 Pontiac Firebird.

Return to “The Drive in”