The Last Super Connie

Cars, planes, boats & movies
Mark1
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: The Last Super Connie

Post by Mark1 » March 30th 2021, 9:41am

Cool. I'd read about those wacky Aussies and their Super Connie in one of my aviation mags some time ago. An interesting aside, the only other recently flying Constellation-dismantled a couple years ago, was owned by the Swiss wartch company, Breitling.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » March 30th 2021, 2:34pm

http://www.conniesurvivors.com/1-airworthy.htm

Some are still flying. On a personal note, in 1955 I flew from laguardia airport to paris on a super connie, TWA. My grandparents were in the first class section which also included sleeping bunks for long flights. I preferred taking ocean liners across the atlantic, still do.

https://airwaysmag.com/magazine/howard- ... ellations/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » March 30th 2021, 8:10pm

I have a certain fondness for bygone times myself in general and the Connie in particular but I’d hate like hell actually trying to reenact international routes using the old means in 2021.

Especially by ship - mostly because transit visas don’t really exist and if we disembarked in Southampton we’d be in some dank British prison before we got to a connecting airport.

Ocean crossings by ship are a non-starter in 2021 if you’re planning on going elsewhere once it docks. Works great if you stay on the boat.

Now, getting to Asia on one of those old Pan Am clipper flying boats could be fun. Once.
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » March 30th 2021, 11:32pm

Hawk wrote:
March 30th 2021, 8:10pm
I have a certain fondness for bygone times myself in general and the Connie in particular but I’d hate like hell actually trying to reenact international routes using the old means in 2021.

Especially by ship - mostly because transit visas don’t really exist and if we disembarked in Southampton we’d be in some dank British prison before we got to a connecting airport.

Ocean crossings by ship are a non-starter in 2021 if you’re planning on going elsewhere once it docks. Works great if you stay on the boat.

Now, getting to Asia on one of those old Pan Am clipper flying boats could be fun. Once.
Take the queen mary from nyc to south hampton. Pick up a range rover, load it up on the train and explore europe.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » March 31st 2021, 7:01am

I’d like to do that except for the whole prison and deportation thing.

In the 21st century only airports have transit lounges. They’re like really posh detention centers where you’re golden provided you don’t actually enter the country you’re transiting through. Renting a Range Rover to complete the trip is off the table. Hell, you wouldn’t even make it past the visa check at the rental counter.

When that Connie was operational things were a lot different.

Return to “The Drive in”