Talk about a close call

Cars, planes, boats & movies
biglove
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Talk about a close call

Post by biglove » November 29th 2020, 10:35am

There are miracles then there is surviving this F1 crash...

https://jalopnik.com/haas-driver-romain ... =algorithm
My best friend from college shared his secret to his huge financial success, "I fell out of the right vagina."

"We should just sanction stupidity as our national pastime and be done with it."-TemerityB, WL Asshat
Datsun240Z71
Founding Member - WIS

Re: Talk about a close call

Post by Datsun240Z71 » November 29th 2020, 11:36am

I was watching this morning. Truly incredible. Scary too.

The halo is probably the thing that saved him. Still unbelievable that he was able to get out after being in that inferno for 18 to 20 seconds. Broadcast said he had possible burns to hands and feet and maybe broken ribs.

He was very lucky.
Randy in Nashville
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » November 29th 2020, 6:46pm

Decades of ever advancing technology and a bit of luck allowed that gentleman to see another day. It most definitely was not his time.

https://youtu.be/U_je9S6z1fI
My best friend from college shared his secret to his huge financial success, "I fell out of the right vagina."

"We should just sanction stupidity as our national pastime and be done with it."-TemerityB, WL Asshat
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Post by Nuvolari » November 30th 2020, 9:35pm

People - myself included - bitched about the halo.

And we were most certainly and completely incorrect. Motorsport is not ready for a public decapitation - which, it is said, would have been the likely result from this shunt in a car without the halo.

We were wrong. Consequently, Grojean lives to crash another day.

And he will. He’s terrible.
“Could somebody please let me know what the fuck is going on here?? It's like walking into the local Safeway to do some grocery shopping and finding a bunch of ghey midgets cornholing each other in the produce department.” - Conjurer

Datsun240Z71
Founding Member - WIS

Post by Datsun240Z71 » December 1st 2020, 5:06am

"Grojean lives to crash another day. And he will. He’s terrible."

I thought the same thing. He's the Danica Patrick of F1 when it comes to destroying equipment..

I still haven't heard why he turned right like he did. I suppose he was anticipating the off-track car to his left to come back on track, but it looked like his move was premature.

He's just very luck.
Randy in Nashville
nimbleboy
Senior Member & WIS

Post by nimbleboy » December 1st 2020, 4:46pm

Holy crap...

I don't know anything about F1 anymore, and I found this video explaining what happened fascinating...

(I'm sure if this talking head/former (?) driver is a turd, someone here will say so... heh)

https://youtu.be/EyTeDaiUL6s
Is it safe?
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Post by Nuvolari » December 1st 2020, 11:50pm

Great analysis!

Palmer was cool. He never set the world on fire, but he wasn’t a whiner or, worse - a crasher like that nutty Venezuelan Armco-magnet, Pastor Maldonado .

Palmer drove for Force India, Lotus, and Renault in Formula One... a talented and a charming dude - but it is a cruel sport with a staggeringly high cubic-€uro burn rate.

But I’d say this lad could be likened to a [much] younger David Hobbs... a damn good driver on any given day just without the correct balance of skill, sponsor cash flow, and - the critical factor all try to influence - luck to carve out a sustainable career behind the wheel. He is certainly worth of respect.

Good on him for the well-framed and insightful commentary. Thanks for posting that link, I hadn’t seen it!
“Could somebody please let me know what the fuck is going on here?? It's like walking into the local Safeway to do some grocery shopping and finding a bunch of ghey midgets cornholing each other in the produce department.” - Conjurer

Return to “The Drive in”