MAX
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Dune

Post by MAX » September 10th 2020, 4:29am

"Rebecca Ferguson will be playing his mother, Lady Jessica."

OK, Im in.
NRPI here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bbattle » September 10th 2020, 5:40am

I agree with the idea of making it into a mini series like Game of Thrones rather than one movie.

If they did an HBO series, they could then run through the whole Dune collection.
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » September 10th 2020, 7:46am

Definitely not one movie. They tried that before and had to hand out explanatory materials in the lobby. Guess they forgot you can't read shit while a movie is running.

And the length of the Dune lexicon might as well be a foreign language. It's be like the Star Trek franchise floating a movie completely in Klingon without subtitles.

ETA: So I get curious and look - turns out somebody kept a copy of the damned thing: https://www.cinemablend.com/new/See-Ori ... 66855.html
MAX
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by MAX » September 10th 2020, 8:03am

After the last Dune movie, some people stood up and clapped and some booed. I guess if you were familiar with the books you clapped.
NRPI here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » September 10th 2020, 8:52am

The books were a cult classic for reasons I never understood. Had I understood them I might have been moved to applaud but just couldn't get there.

It seemed to me a mash of medieval palace intrigue using science fiction as a backdrop when fantasy magic would have served better. Then again I probably would have never made it through the books if I hadn't been laid up in the hospital over one summer. It would probably have had more appeal through a haze of recreational pharmaceuticals.

Nevertheless some movies actually turn out better than the books they were based on - this might be one of those.
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » September 10th 2020, 2:45pm

Dune was a horribly boring movie.

And I love sci-fi, but OMG. Fucking Dune. Fucking spice. Fucking 2.5 hours of my young life I will never get back.
My best friend from college shared his secret to his huge financial success, "I fell out of the right vagina."
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » September 10th 2020, 8:00pm

biglove wrote:
September 10th 2020, 2:45pm
Dune was a horribly boring movie.

And I love sci-fi, but OMG. Fucking Dune. Fucking spice. Fucking 2.5 hours of my young life I will never get back.

I saw a clip of this on HBO or something a hundred years ago when the first movie came out. I decided not to watch it, and have never been sorry.
bobbee
Master of Time

Post by bobbee » September 11th 2020, 12:54am

If you have read the book, you don't need to see the eighties movie.
If you haven't read the book, the movie would make zero sense.

Maybe like the eighties animated Lord of the Rings and the modern LOTR movies, the Dune remake will be watchable and understandable.
Breath pointedly not being held over here...

Return to “The Drive in”