30 Coolest Cars of the 1980s

Cars, planes, boats & movies
koimaster
Founder

30 Coolest Cars of the 1980s

Post by koimaster » August 20th 2020, 11:23pm

If the automobiles of the decade weren't universally great, they were at least often interesting, as the industry discovered how to make emissions-friendly power, experimented heavily with turbocharging, and began serious work on the all-wheel-drive systems we take for granted today. If the sad-sack 1970s marked the end of the postwar performance boom, the '80s signaled a fresh wave of original thinking. So, cue up some New Wave, crack open a Bartles & Jaymes, and scroll through this gathering of 1980s metal, compiled by the Car and Driver editorial staff and hashed out via cage matches held in our office garage.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g ... J2k7Bxt40E

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
MAX
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: 30 Coolest Cars of the 1980s

Post by MAX » August 21st 2020, 4:39am

1 Grand National, Testa Rossa and Lamborghini Countach to go please.

Car and Driver used to be the best, funniest car mag around, now they all suck.

When the last few went digital only I gave up. I just get Hemmings Muscle Cars and Classic Cars now.
NRPI here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » August 21st 2020, 1:14pm

Loved the Grand National. Came up against one in a street race. I drove a Pontiac Formula 350. I got smoked. Of course my recently traded Maxima had 300HP and was blisteringly fast compared to most ‘80s sports cars, and would do the speed without killing you. Electronically limited to 132MPH, I got it to 126MPH. One things for sure, the brakes were most definitely NOT built for those speeds. Shit got squirrelly getting it back down to 80MPH.

Roommate had that gen of RX-7. Was a blast to drive.

My HS football coach had a Supra. Used to let me take it, aged 15, to get us gumbo for lunch. Was a mile round-trip but I drove it like I stole it.

HS girlfriend’s Mom has a MR-2. Did 100MPH in it in the neighborhood, like a dumbass kid would. Was fun. Her daughter was more fun but a bit crazy.

Also got to drive the Merkur XR4Ti in college. Liked it but it was weird, but cool too.

College frat brother had the Mustang 5.0. That was a fun ride...in a straight line.

Didn’t see the 928S on the list. Drove one in college, ragged out, as a used car test drive. Was worn out, rattled like a pulpwood truck and didn’t accelerate for shit. But it could take a curve. Took it over the Ouachita River I-20 bridge at 120MPH in traffic. My roommate was laughing his ass off while the Middle Eastern salesman was cursing me furiously in his native tongue from the backseat. Good times.

Still would love to have a Testarossa. The styling is still to die for. Or a Countach. God, what a beast of a machine.
"I believe in a God who doesn't need heavy financing." Irwin M. Fletcher, Fletch Lives, 1989
MAX

Post by MAX » August 21st 2020, 1:35pm

BTW, I want Eliazbeth Hurley as the Devil getting out of my Countach.

Best female devil in any flick. (Bedazzled)

Best Male devil, Ray Wise in "Reaper" on TV. Guy in "Lucifer" isnt bad either so honorable mention.
NRPI here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bbattle » August 21st 2020, 3:15pm

The Honda CRX was a blast to drive. It was so light; if you kept the revs high you could have a lot of fun with it.

Johnny Rutherford's son went to my college and he had a Quattro. Pretty cool but not as cool as the split rear window Corvette at the frat house next door. Damn.

That Grand National and the Monte Carlo SS were badass sleeper cars back then unless you knew what you were looking at.

The 80's were just a glimpse at what the 90's would bring but were such a welcome relief to the crap put out in the 70's that many thought they'd died and gone to heaven. But the 80's were also the time when high school kids could buy late 60's muscle cars and get in all sorts of trouble. My first car was a '69 Firebird. Great in a straight line on a nice day; downright scary otherwise unless you drove like grandma. My 1980 Plymouth Champ (made by Mitsubishi) handled way better and if I could get out front on a particular curvy, twisty road, I could beat the Mustangs and Camaros to Columbia with my little 1.6L FWD. Most high school kids didn't know how to drive worth a shit. :-)
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » August 21st 2020, 9:47pm

Owned the audi quattro in brown. Great car, nimble and held the road. Carol drove a black saab 900 turbo and a porsche 924.

I have a 91 audi 200 turbo quattro in storage, same motor as the audi ur and 4000

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
Mark1

Post by Mark1 » August 21st 2020, 9:52pm

I spent the last part of the eighties as an Air Force junior enlisted GI. Hence my budget was pretty limited. Bought my first new car in 1985, a white Honda CRX. Fun little car for a young airman that didn't know any better. Traded that one in for an 87 Acura Integra, which required travel to Mobile, Alabama to purchase. Acura was brand new back then. Nice car, but it was struck by three different Chuckleberries in less than 2 years. I traded the Integra for an 89 CRX Si which I drove for another six years. A good friend of mine has owned an 86 Grand National for thirty years, really nice car. If I could find a nice low mileage CRX Si today I would probably buy it just for the memories. I suppose that's the point.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.

Return to “The Drive in”