800-HP Shelby

Cars, planes, boats & movies
koimaster
Founder

800-HP Shelby

Post by koimaster » August 3rd 2020, 11:26pm

The 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 is already a car worthy of the Shelby name, but for those who want a more conspicuous connection to racing legend and entrepreneur Carroll Shelby, Las Vegas-based Shelby American is offering a Carroll Shelby Signature Edition package that turns your stock Mustang GT500 into a GT500SE with more power and an official Shelby CSM number.
Wondering why you'd want Shelby to tune and Shelby-fy a car that's already a Shelby? The relationship between Ford and Shelby can be a little confusing, so here's a quick breakdown: Ford licenses the Shelby name for the GT500 and GT350, which were developed 100-percent in-house at Ford. Shelby American is the company that Carroll Shelby founded, and still builds its own cars including continuation-series Cobras and modified Mustangs and F-150s. Shelby American is also the keeper of the official Shelby registry, which documents every Shelby-built vehicle going back to the early '60s. Because the 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 is not built by Shelby, it doesn't get a Shelby serial number.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020-fo ... 6rsZOLdIjQ

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Re: 800-HP Shelby

Post by bbattle » August 4th 2020, 7:59am

The son of the local Ford dealer convinced my brother-in-law to let him drive his modified Shelby (~2015 model) down to the dealership for a car show. But on the way, the lad thought it might be fun to do doughnuts in a parking lot. With a buddy filming it to put on Facebook. Yep, he wrecked the car, tried to lie about it, but got busted when the video was found.

The cost of the racing stripes on the front hood alone made my head spin; and I'm sure the dealership was getting things at a good discount.

There is such a thing as too much horsepower but there will always be people that do not believe that.
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » August 4th 2020, 12:30pm

codguy wrote:
August 4th 2020, 8:26am
Meh.
Ford produced a 1400hp all electric Mustang recently both in drag and road course trim..........

https://www.thedrive.com/news/33129/beh ... 0-drag-car

I know one of the developers involved with this ^ car (a world champ dragracer from the PNW).
But would you own one?

My perhaps mistaken impression was that you held battery powered autos in roughly the same esteem as battery powered watches.

I thought I was pretty open minded about such things but I found to my chagrin that I just couldn't warm up to the BMW I-8 with that 3 cylinder Maytag engine in it. I guess I wasn't alone to judge by the resale value on those beasts - I think they set a world speed record for depreciation. The resale on them looks more like a smoking crater than a car.
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » August 4th 2020, 2:37pm

Sorry, but most people cannot handle RWD above 300HP without finding a ditch. AWD with proper computer assistance to correct lack of experience or sheer stupidity is handy.

Always wanted a 500+HP car but likely will never have one. If I did, it sure as hell wouldn’t be a Mustang. And I love Ford products but that’s just goofy. Fine in a straight line with sticky tires but don’t sneeze or cough in the 1/4 mile or BOOM.
My best friend from college shared his secret to his huge financial success, "I fell out of the right vagina."
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Post by bedlam » August 5th 2020, 10:30pm

I had a quick drive of a colleagues Tesla. Holy shit...that has some torque.

I would love to see a decent hybrid 4x4. Doesn't seem to be much on offer so far.
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Post by Nuvolari » August 6th 2020, 8:11am

I dig it - the petrol-burning one...

On the electric version: the absence of an exhaust note is disservice to the Cobra Jet name...
“Could somebody please let me know what the fuck is going on here?? It's like walking into the local Safeway to do some grocery shopping and finding a bunch of ghey midgets cornholing each other in the produce department.” - Conjurer

Return to “The Drive in”