A Netflix series worth watching

Cars, planes, boats & movies
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

A Netflix series worth watching

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » May 10th 2020, 9:53am

Some time ago, before I've returned to work, I was just browsing through series on Netflix, looking for anything interesting. And, I found this:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7371666/
It's an 8-episode Netflix original miniseries from 2 years ago, and frankly, it's a really good one, at least the way I see it. It's Polish, however it's also available with English dubbing or English subtitles. I would recommend going for the Polish audio and English subtitles, if you want the Polish vibe to be amplified with the "KURWA" flying around every now and then.

Takes place in an alternative 2003, in a dystopian vision of Poland. As the plot goes, in 1983, a series of bombings occurs in major Polish cities. The PZPR (Polish United Workers' Party) uses it as an excuse to put an end to the democratic resistance movement, the Church turns its back on the opposition and takes the side of the state. As a result, the Communist regime doesn't fall, and by 2003, the USSR still exists, the Berlin Wall still stands, and Poland is a PZPR-headed, quasi-Communist, isolated nationalist regime...with a stash of nuclear warheads. The commie Security Department (Służba Bezpieczeństwa - SB) turns from common goons to an SS-style unit. What's left of the opposition turns into an IRA/ETA-style guerilla/terrorist organization.

IMO, worth checking out - at least I liked it a lot. Looking back at the shitty state of our cinematography in the last decade, both TV and cinema stuff, I've been positively surprised by it.
You cannot explain away a wantonly immoral act, because you think that it is connected to some higher purpose.
Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: The Next Generation
mrneddles
Watchlord WIS

Re: A Netflix series worth watching

Post by mrneddles » May 10th 2020, 10:57am

I will check it out. I tried to get into HBO's "The Plot Against America", which also is a period, alternate reality series. Production value and acting is up to the usual HBO high standard. The pace and story just bored my wife and I too much, and we signed off after 3 episodes.
Datsun240Z71 (Online)
Founding Member - WIS

Post by Datsun240Z71 » May 10th 2020, 1:27pm

Don't have Netflix, but enjoying the ESPN series The Last Dance about the Chicago Bulls championship runs with Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Dennis Rodman, etc.

World on Fire on PBS Masterpiece series looks good too. Watched Episode 1 and have the others recorded.
Randy in Nashville
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » May 10th 2020, 2:15pm

Datsun240Z71 wrote:
May 10th 2020, 1:27pm
Don't have Netflix, but enjoying the ESPN series The Last Dance about the Chicago Bulls championship runs with Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Dennis Rodman, etc.

World on Fire on PBS Masterpiece series looks good too. Watched Episode 1 and have the others recorded.
World on Fire is very good!!..looking forward to the latest installment this evening..as is Showtimes 'City of Angels'..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
biglove (Online)
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » May 10th 2020, 6:54pm

Have been trying to finish “The Man in the High Castle” that looks at an alternative America when they lost WWII.

Will have to watch your recommended show, too.

https://g.co/kgs/RJaCho
"I believe in a God who doesn't need heavy financing." Irwin M. Fletcher, Fletch Lives, 1989
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » May 10th 2020, 8:40pm

biglove wrote:
May 10th 2020, 6:54pm
Have been trying to finish “The Man in the High Castle” that looks at an alternative America when they lost WWII.

Will have to watch your recommended show, too.

https://g.co/kgs/RJaCho
Seen ”The Man in the High Castle,” except the last season. Loosely based on a novel, if my memory serves me well. It started really well, although later on, that sci-fi arc became somewhat overdone. The ”what if” concept in ”1983” is similar, although without any sci-fi arc. It’s more of a crime/political/spy thriller.
You cannot explain away a wantonly immoral act, because you think that it is connected to some higher purpose.
Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: The Next Generation

Return to “The Drive in”