15 years of Bugatti Veyron

Cars, planes, boats & movies
koimaster
Founder

15 years of Bugatti Veyron

Post by koimaster » April 19th 2020, 11:02am

87B840AA-2E2B-48C3-9734-79671D784CC7.jpeg

15 years of Bugatti Veyron – how it all began? In 1997, on the “Shinkansen” express train between Tokyo and Nagoya, a sketch was created that would change the automotive world. Following a discussion with the then Head of Powertrain Development at VW, Karl-Heinz Neumann, he drew on an envelope – he had had the idea for a long time – an engine with 18 cylinders. Powerful, strong and better than anything else. The man was Ferdinand Karl Piëch, a gifted engineer and long-time CEO and Chairman of the Volkswagen Group – and the driving force behind the development of the Bugatti Veyron 16.4.

The first hyper sports car of modern times was a true pioneering achievement and wrote automotive history at its launch in 2005. The coupé was the first series-production car to produce more than 1,000 PS and to drive faster than 400 km/h. The Veyron was an engineering masterpiece. Its development however was as much a historic achievement as the Veyron itself.

https://watchilove.com/15-years-of-buga ... aNF9htUkaY
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Founder

Re: 15 years of Bugatti Veyron

Post by koimaster » April 19th 2020, 7:27pm

Nuvolari wrote:
April 19th 2020, 7:26pm
>400kph!!!!! 404 ERROR SERVER NOT FOUND
https://watchilove.com/15-years-of-buga ... aNF9htUkaY

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
biglove
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Post by biglove » April 19th 2020, 8:05pm

The first supercar that brought tears of joy to my eyes. Watching the piece where Top Gear’s James May took a Veyron to top speed on Volkswagen’s German test track was magnificent.
"I always complain because I'm old now and everything hurts."-Mike Rowe
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » April 21st 2020, 3:57pm

^^^ 164MPH here. But I was 22, on an elevated stretch of I-55 at night with brand new set of Goodyear Eagle "Gatorback" tires. Pontiac Formula 350 with zero traffic. Was a bit spooky but not bad. It rode very well at 130MOH cruising much of the time I was behind the wheel and felt could get away with that speed.

Did get my 2016 Maxima up to 126MPH(has 136MPH limiter) last summer when heading down I-49 en route to hospital to see my youngest (her first baby). Cruised most of the way ~115MPH once south of Alexandria, LA with open road and a 75MPH speed limit. Rare traffic.

Maxima was solid at cruises 105MPH way smooth. Gets a bit spooky above 115. The brakes are very much not meant for that speed and braking above 110 is more than spooky. Just can't dissipate the heat quickly enough is my guess.

Always wanted to hit 100 on water, 200 on land and ride along at Mach 1 airborne. At 51, those are not ever going to happen now.
"I always complain because I'm old now and everything hurts."-Mike Rowe
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bbattle » April 21st 2020, 4:01pm

My speedometer on my 1969 Firebird said 140mph but it was rather shaky and questionable. As was the handling of the car at the time.

My VW is certainly capable of faster speeds but the Big Brother computer programmers have seen fit to limit my top speed in my GTI to rather more pedestrian levels. Luckily, there are ways around that. :-)

The trouble with top speed is that it's really only useful on long straightaways. People harp on about how much faster automatic clutches are these days but that's only on flat, straight roads, like a drag strip. My GTI is not a dragster and the roads around here are not straight or flat. And I'm an old, cranky guy that prefers his gears shift when HE decides, not some stupid-ass computer chip.

Meanwhile, I'd kill to get a ride in that Veyron. Straight road or curvy, it don't matter.

Return to “The Drive in”