BMW R18 - mmmmmmm!

Cars, planes, boats & movies
MAX
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: BMW R18 - mmmmmmm!

Post by MAX » April 6th 2020, 12:52pm

Nice, I almost bought a preloved BMW for my first bike in the 70s but too pricey for me then. Loved the 180 degree cylinder heads and the driveshaft instead of a chain.
NRPI here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » April 6th 2020, 6:16pm

I stand by my firm resolve to not get on any two-wheel contraption with an engine. But I do like the looks of some motorbikes, and that's definitely one nice bike. A bit of a modern competition to the looks of the civilian versions of the 1930s/1940s Sahara.
MAX wrote:
April 6th 2020, 12:52pm
Nice, I almost bought a preloved BMW for my first bike in the 70s but too pricey for me then. Loved the 180 degree cylinder heads and the driveshaft instead of a chain.
This reminds me of how when I was 18, and learning to drive. The driving instructor was a part-time motorbike tinkerer, and just couldn't shut up once he started praising BMW and their use of the Cardan shaft. Guess this solution really has die-hard fans.

I can't really understand their point, though. I just won't even sit on a fucking motorbike.
You cannot explain away a wantonly immoral act, because you think that it is connected to some higher purpose.
Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: The Next Generation
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » April 7th 2020, 7:56am

I suppose the traditionalists are gradually "aging out" but if so it did nothing to breath life into the Porsche designed yet still (more or less) HD-looking V-Rod which passed away several years ago.

I kinda like it but that's possibly a jinx - I liked the V-Rod too.

'Tis neither fish nor fowl. Cruiser seat but the HD foot position is ruled out by those outrigger cylinders. A reverse quasi-gear is more Gold-Wing-ish and the thing is portly. It looks like an Edsel from the front and a chrome plated boiler room from the Titanic from the side.

It'll be interesting to see how it sells once the new wears off.
Nuvolari (Online)
Watchlord WIS

Post by Nuvolari » April 7th 2020, 6:38pm

One point eight litres is a shitload of displacement out of two - TWO - cylinders. Think of an 10.8 litre six-cylinder and you’ll innately appreciate appreciate that a toque-meister awaits.

I’m largely ambivalent about two-wheels unless it’s a GS1100, a KTM, or a two-stroke anything-Yamaha - but can certainly appreciate the draw here.

Return to “The Drive in”