2020 Corvette Stingray Convertible Z51

Cars, planes, boats & movies
Hawk
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

Re: 2020 Corvette Stingray Convertible Z51

Post by Hawk » March 11th 2020, 5:53am

Getting in and out of a Z4 is something I credit with keeping my old self limber. Then again I suppose the Z4's ingress and egress is more akin to a Chevy Suburban when compared to the Corvette.

I wonder if the purists will object to the Corvette borrowing some low-rider tech to jack up the front when confronted with an obstacle like a speed bump? After all shouldn't a hydraulic lift be viewed like electronically amplified engine noise? A proper low-slung roadster should throw sparks by grinding the pavement from time to time.
Datsun240Z71
Founding Member - WIS

Post by Datsun240Z71 » March 11th 2020, 10:54am

I got to sit in one last month at a dealership exhibition of the new car which was provided by Chevrolet/GM. They put out a nice spread of gourmet finger foods, meats and cheeses and it was supposedly by invitation only. although they never asked for my invitation.

My brief time in the car left me with a positive impression and the interior was more comfortable and a step above my 2017 C7 Grand Sport in quality and materials. Seemed to be a bit more legroom, and the seats were more comfortable also IMO. Still low to the ground however.

As for the styling, overall well done with just a few too many creases and lines IMO, especially in the rear. Typical mid-engine design with a pretty large "behind the door" area necessitated by the layout. Build quality looked great for the price.

The car on display was $89,000.

As for the lifting mechanism, I think it's a good idea, but in my experience, unless the new car is lower, maybe not really necessary. My C7 actually has a bit more ground clearance (about 3.5 inches) than did my C6 Grand Sport. I do have an aftermarket protective plate under my carbon fiber front splitter, which has prevented damage at least twice in 12,000 miles. There are also air deflectors under the body that scrape but are designed to do so and are considered a wear item by some. You do have to approach some driveways at an angle and exhibit caution from parking lot blocks. Speed bumps have not been an issue.

Randy in Nashville
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » March 11th 2020, 12:34pm

I'm not purist enough to object to front end lifters. But if it's going to have hydraulic front end lifting it might as well be sensor-enabled with an option to disable the feature.

My only problem with the Corvette is that it's too good and too popular - consequently they hold their value distressingly well. Apart from that I'd cheerfully risk being accused of having a late-life crisis to get one if the lotto were to smile benignly on me.

Hmmm. Since they're flirting with hydraulic lifters anyway maybe they could offer an option for old guys with creaky joints and put an assist on the seat - one of those swing out and up then in and down gizmos like a mobility scooter. That would be impure. At the risk of more impurity I applaud them finally getting with the dual clutch auto.

I heard they did a good job of keeping the sills reasonable for a mid-engine - did you notice?
MAX
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by MAX » March 11th 2020, 12:45pm

Well, my last of the Mohicans 2002 Trans Am is still a viable option for me. Getting in and out is pretty easy but the 6 speed clutch can be a problem some days.

Funny, when I bought my 1993 Trans Am I compared it to a 93 Vette and bought it since it was easier to get in and out of, had more room, the same engine and transmission and handled pretty well. I even thought it was tied on looks. Oh yeah, it was half the price also.

Being an old codger my 82 Vette would be perfect for me today.

Last edited by MAX on March 12th 2020, 8:12am, edited 1 time in total.
NRPI here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » March 12th 2020, 8:08am

I had a 2001 Formula Firehawk - pretty much a must purchase since they were nice enough to name it after me. And Sewell Dallas was nice enough to have one on the floor - you pretty much had to special order the things from most dealers.

The only thing I have to remember it by is the book Customer For Life. And I probably would have been had I not moved to Florida.

Now I'm feeling old.
MAX
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by MAX » March 12th 2020, 11:35am

You are killing me here, Alain!

Not for the car but for the location and roads he is driving on. Well, OK, for the car too.
NRPI here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”

Return to “The Drive in”