Porsche will always have a combustion engine

Cars, planes, boats & movies
koimaster
Founder

Porsche will always have a combustion engine

Post by koimaster » March 9th 2020, 10:03am

This might just be the feel good we need, as petrolheads around the world continually groan at the release of 'x' electric car, or at the headlines of another big name stopping dinosaur-burning fun.

In an interview that first appeared in BILD, Porsche CEO Oliver Blume spoke about many topics like electric engines, speed limits on motorways, the environment and the future of Porsche keeping their employees.

In that complete mix of statements on the topics, came a very big statement:

"Porsche will always offer combustion engines, particularly in the 911".

https://drivetribe.com/p/porsche-ceo-ol ... ce=organic

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Porsche will always have a combustion engine

Post by Nuvolari » March 9th 2020, 1:50pm

You’re damn right! Automotive passion can only be accentuated by a proper exhaust note.

That is final - Nuvolari has spoken.

Just as a quartz movements keep better time while mechanical movements remain inherently more interesting so, too, is the dynamic between combustion and electric propulsion...

With no exhaust note, you’re driving a soulless quartz watch - and you know it’s true. Sure, it may even be a pretty good machine - but you know it’s soulless and passion-free in a way that pushed the acceptance of “Meh!” into our common vernacular.
“Could somebody please let me know what the fuck is going on here?? It's like walking into the local Safeway to do some grocery shopping and finding a bunch of ghey midgets cornholing each other in the produce department.” - Conjurer

gerdson
Master of Time

Post by gerdson » March 10th 2020, 5:37am

^ I am afraid I will have to agree with Pubbie. Of course the EU will not tell them what to build and what not to build. But the EU will tell them what kind of car can still be registered as new, and what not. However... (apart from the option to move to the US, if that should indeed help long term) - I do believe we will still see vehicles with combustion engines being built also in Europe, for another 1-2 centuries, probably. Long term? No.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Post by Nuvolari » March 10th 2020, 3:01pm

Hawk wrote:
March 10th 2020, 7:29am
One wonders if "a proper exhaust note" must have a proper source. I'm thinking BMW I-8 and Mustang ecoboost here.
That would be an improper source... a drum machine to Neil Pert.

That’s more like a mecha-quartz solution - it will appease many as they transition into electrification.

But it ain’t no 77fiddy.
“Could somebody please let me know what the fuck is going on here?? It's like walking into the local Safeway to do some grocery shopping and finding a bunch of ghey midgets cornholing each other in the produce department.” - Conjurer

Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » March 11th 2020, 5:45am

The I-8 was pretty up-front about faking the sound but if the intertubz are to be believed Ford was stealthy - something about a fuse blowing on the stereo when Road & Track was doing a review and the exhaust note up and disappeared. At that point Ford fesses up.

What I found interesting is that the Mustang stereo-based engine sounds were being used with a full on combustion power train - no hybrid to blame it on.

So maybe the BMW was mecha-quartz and the Mustang was a proper ETA 2892 with a speaker used only to amplify the mechanical noises that were already there?

That suggests we have degrees of improper exhaust note sources. Or maybe the Mustang was indeed a proper source with only the amplification improper or rather than a drum machine it was actual drums merely amplified?

If taken in small enough doses I could possibly enjoy the auto enthusiasts descending into the devolved debates that WIS get involved with when "soul" enters the discussion.

Makes me wonder if USAC would still have legislated the STP-Paxton Turbocar out of contention if Granatelli had included a recording of an Offenhauser at full song. Rumors were afloat that there were concerns nobody would care about the Indy 500 if the race sounded like a field of vacuum cleaners navigating the oval. (Sorry - I'm actually old enough to remember that kerfuffle).

Return to “The Drive in”