Land Yachts

Cars, planes, boats & movies
conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Land Yachts

Post by conjurer » March 5th 2020, 11:13pm

A couple of cool cars. The host's mustache bothers me.
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
labman
Watchlord WIS

Re: Land Yachts

Post by labman » March 6th 2020, 12:27am

We had a '76 white Grand Marquis when I was growing up - the thing was a barge.

Living north of Pittsburgh, PA the area was tough on gas mileage - you would actually see the gas needle drop driving out of some of the valleys along Allegheny river.

It was a great car!
gerdson
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Post by gerdson » March 6th 2020, 4:31am

I did drive a Mercury Cougar fourth generation for a couple of weeks, at the start of my time at Fort Bliss. (I do believe it was 4rd gen, I don't recall the exact year of build and would have to dig out paper pictures from the mid 90ies, which are in some box in my garage). Small engine (5 liters only), but I loved it. I also remember it did cost extra much in insurance because it only had 2 doors.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Post by Falstaff » March 6th 2020, 8:20am

Had a '76 Town Car - black vinyl half roof on charcoal paint, acres of black leather interior, 460 cubes, 4 bbl, fender skirts, opera lamps, moon roof, 8 track tape. Great fucking car - thirsty, but a fast, quiet, comfy cruiser. I used to buy second hand 8 track tapes at the flea market - a mixed boxful for 5 bucks, when they crapped out, I'd just toss 'em out the window. Mantovani, Hank Williams, BB King, James Brown, Herb Alpert, Loretta Lynn, Cream, Stones, Temptations, Cher, Supremes, Buddy Holly, The Hollies, Kinks - you name it. One of my strongest memories of that time is cruising Miami Beach in that Lincoln just before sunrise listening to War's "LA Sunshine" from the Platinum Jazz album on the 8 track at the end of a long wild night. Great fucking car....
"Open the pod bay doors, Hal." "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » March 6th 2020, 3:16pm

Cousin had a DeLorean and a Continental Mark III. I preferred the Lincoln.

If I had the disposable cash I would have a 60s Continental.
"I believe in a God who doesn't need heavy financing." Irwin M. Fletcher, Fletch Lives, 1989
TemerityB (Online)
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » March 6th 2020, 4:51pm

My first car was a third-hand 1975 Mercury Bobcat (as I recall), purchased in 1977. It lasted about three months in my ownershop; such was the planned obsolescence of the 1970s. Replaced it with a Ford Pinto.

My first five cars are so were complete shit boxes.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by foghorn » March 6th 2020, 5:00pm

TemerityB wrote:
March 6th 2020, 4:51pm
My first car was a third-hand 1975 Mercury Bobcat (as I recall), purchased in 1977. It lasted about three months in my ownershop; such was the planned obsolescence of the 1970s. Replaced it with a Ford Pinto.

I, too ,owned a Pinto as my second car. I'm sure others did but won't admit it.
My first was a VW beetle w/ the famous "automatic stick shift" Best damn car I ever had. My copy of Volkswagen Repair for the Complete Idiot proudly lived, in a hundred sections , in the back seat.
Datsun240Z71
Founding Member - WIS

Post by Datsun240Z71 » March 7th 2020, 4:12am

I had a Pinto too. 72 model all black with no A/C.

Took it in for service at the dealer, and it was stolen. (Who would steal a Pinto off a dealer's lot?)

Their insurance paid off, and the police found it 6 weeks later in someone's front yard wrapped around a tree.
Randy in Nashville
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bbattle » March 7th 2020, 5:24am

My French teacher in high school had an old Pinto, completely ratted but at least it ran. Somebody stole it one day and she laughed and laughed. Police asked her what the value of the car was and she said, "I just filled it up so it's now worth $20". The newspaper actually printed that.

They found it a week later; kids had taken it for a joyride and left it out in the country.
Nuvolari (Online)
Watchlord WIS

Post by Nuvolari » March 7th 2020, 7:10am

foghorn wrote:
March 6th 2020, 5:00pm
TemerityB wrote:
March 6th 2020, 4:51pm

I, too ,owned a Pinto as my second car. I'm sure others did but won't admit it.
My first was a VW beetle w/ the famous "automatic stick shift" Best damn car I ever had. My copy of Volkswagen Repair for the Complete Idiot proudly lived, in a hundred sections , in the back seat.
Very cool! But... For craps sake - don’t rest your hand on the gear selector!!
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » March 7th 2020, 3:49pm

I do get the appeal of muscle cars like the Mustang or the Camaro... But I never understood the logic behind the American sedans made in the 1970s and later. Ridiculously big, clumsy on bends, and in spite of usually having an insane engine capacity, pretty slow. What's the point of 5 litres under the bonnet, if it barely moves? If I wanted something that's slow and handles badly, I'd go for an FSO Polonez, a Lada, or a Fiat 125. Or an FSO Warszawa M20, based on the GAZ Pobeda.
You cannot explain away a wantonly immoral act, because you think that it is connected to some higher purpose.
Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: The Next Generation
conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » March 7th 2020, 8:15pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
March 7th 2020, 3:49pm
I do get the appeal of muscle cars like the Mustang or the Camaro... But I never understood the logic behind the American sedans made in the 1970s and later. Ridiculously big, clumsy on bends, and in spite of usually having an insane engine capacity, pretty slow. What's the point of 5 litres under the bonnet, if it barely moves? If I wanted something that's slow and handles badly, I'd go for an FSO Polonez, a Lada, or a Fiat 125. Or an FSO Warszawa M20, based on the GAZ Pobeda.
Because, Mr. Bloke, as James May once said of American cars, if it didn't have a V8, it was for goddamned Communists.

I had a 1975 Coupe Deville coupe. It was over 19 feet long, weighed over two and a half tons, did 0-60 in 12.5 seconds, and got a little under 10 mpg. If I ran over a Toyota in it, I'd barely feel a bump. But, this was the car everybody wanted, unless they were goddamned Communists--and most of them probably wanted one too. There's no denying that looking over that square-acre hood, with the Cadillac hood ornament at the end (remember them?), and seeing all the plebes hustling to get the fuck out of the way, was capital fun. It was, in retrospect, almost appalling terrible to drive (apart from long highway cruises, which weren't that long, since you'd drain the 27 gallon tank in less than three hundred miles), crass, vulgar, and stupid. But that's what we wanted back then--go big or go home.
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » March 7th 2020, 8:15pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
March 7th 2020, 3:49pm
Because, Mr. Bloke, as James May once said of American cars, if it didn't have a V8, it was for goddamned Communists.

I had a 1975 Coupe Deville coupe. It was over 19 feet long, weighed over two and a half tons, did 0-60 in 12.5 seconds, and got a little under 10 mpg. If I ran over a Toyota in it, I'd barely feel a bump. But, this was the car everybody wanted, unless they were goddamned Communists--and most of them probably wanted one too. There's no denying that looking over that square-acre hood, with the Cadillac hood ornament at the end (remember them?), and seeing all the plebes hustling to get the fuck out of the way, was capital fun. It was, in retrospect, almost appalling terrible to drive (apart from long highway cruises, which weren't that long, since you'd drain the 27 gallon tank in less than three hundred miles), crass, vulgar, and stupid. But that's what we wanted back then--go big or go home.

--Hawkeye

Return to “The Drive in”