Ford v Ferrari

Cars, planes, boats & movies
bedlam
WIS Divemaster
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Ford v Ferrari

Post by bedlam » June 3rd 2019, 4:59pm

The GT remains my all-time favourite race car. And its still one of the best looking cars on the road.
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
codguy
ASSHAT

Post by codguy » June 4th 2019, 3:17am

bedlam wrote:The GT remains my all-time favourite race car. And its still one of the best looking cars on the road.

Same here!
The GT in modern race/street attire...

I haven't gone to a movie theater in decades, but will for this flick.

loving some Russian relationship.....................
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » June 23rd 2019, 1:00pm

3Flushes wrote:
Britboy wrote:
800_Gulf_trio.jpg

These were pretty iconic as well in the Gulf colours

Sure, sure, but what happened to 8 and 9?

Spoilsport.. :)
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » June 23rd 2019, 1:32pm

Thunder1 wrote:
3Flushes wrote:
Britboy wrote:
800_Gulf_trio.jpg

These were pretty iconic as well in the Gulf colours

Spoilsport.. :)

I like these... and Vipers, too. I had a neighbor who was addicted to flipping vipers, they were a lot of fun. Never had the pleasure of driving or riding in the GT.

That LE MANS shot in Cod's post is as good an advertising / PR pic as I've seen.

The silver GT is incredible- just like Daniels said about the finishing of a watch- done to the highest practice, it looks like it just materialized out of thin air.
Copyright ©️ 2019 3flushes Media.

The past is never dead. It isn't even past.- Faulkner
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » June 23rd 2019, 1:51pm

foghorn wrote:
3Flushes wrote:

In the shop along with 1-5. They are Fords, after all.

Please..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Post by Nuvolari » Yesterday, 9:59pm

An entertaining film - and probably about as well done as it can be while still appealing to the largest audience.

Still, as a former docent at the Blackhawk Auto Museum it bothers me much more than it should when a storyteller/racing movie deviates too far from from established conventions and/or facts, damn it.

NUVOLARI PRESENTS *** FORD v.FERRARI FLAWS ***

{Potential Spoiler Alert}

Aaaaaaand NOW - for your convenience, a complete list of the notably major flaws or historical inaccuracies in Ford v Ferrari:

1. Nobody makes eye contact while passing, especially at 190+mph. No body;

2. No racer is going to run at 3/4 throttle and then, once he sees competition, go full throttle. Not even Crashy O’Toole;

3. No one downshifts at 7,000 rpm mid-way through the Mulsanne straight because they saw a competitor and now really want to hustle. Nope. Just no.

4. Iacocca never went to Italy to talk to Enzo about a buy out, he sent an emissary. (Headed by an engineer named, Don Frey.)

5. Ferrari did not play Ford against Fiat: the Ford/Ferrari merger conversation occurred in 1963; Ferrari did not sell a controlling interest to Fiat until late 1968; (But Enzo’s unwillingness to not have 100% control over Ferrari’s racing program did end negotiations in a well-known profanity-ladden tirade.)

6. Enzo, after the 1950s, did not attend races - Il Commendatore stayed in Modena and awaited updates from his staff.

7. Complete omission of the dry taciturn character who was the Aston Martin racing boss when Shelby won LeMans, John Wyer - who really oversaw almost all of the GT 40 $22 million dollar development but was unfortunately only witness to the disastrous 1964 & 1965 seasons. (He came back in 68 & 69 when it was no longer the Ford GT40, but instead “GT 40” (and “Mirage”) “powered by Ford”. But, that’s too many cooks in the Silver Screen kitchen, and a recipe of pure minutia, damn it. Nobody knows what the hell is going on after a while. Plus, nobody gives two shits! (“...except Nuvolari, damn it!”)

8. Shelby never locked marketing guy & Ford-confidant, Leo Beebe, in a room in order to get a few private moments with the Duece, but I’ll bet he wanted to! John Wyer was actually the one that locked horns with Beebe over micromanagement by committee. Beebe is accurately portrayed as a douchenozzle.

9. When Ken Miles acquiesced into a photo finish - his comment out loud was something along the lines of, “I think I’ve been fucked!”

That's pretty much it... otherwise Ford v Ferrari (billed as "LeMans 1966" in other markets) remains largely true to history... the complaints above are obviously for "dramatic element" so non-enthusiasts will “get” the excitement, too.

And, really, the target audience is a lot larger than the handful of racers and historians - who already know the story and end result.

/end rant
codguy
ASSHAT

Post by codguy » Today, 4:17am

Nuvolari wrote:
Yesterday, 9:59pm

NUVOLARI PRESENTS *** FORD v.FERRARI FLAWS ***

I do believe you just save me some admission & snack money Novo. I fucking hate it when "history" on the big screen is bigger than real life for effect.

I have the same problem watching modern movies involving aircraft carriers (Flight of the Intruder, Top Gun, etc.). All the added bullshit crammed into the flick for effect that just doesn't happen, ruins it for me..................... but obviously I'm not their target audience.

loving some Russian relationship.....................

Return to “The Drive in”