Ceramic Coating?

Cars, planes, boats & movies
labman
Watchlord WIS

Ceramic Coating?

Post by labman » September 3rd 2018, 10:01pm

Any of you gear-heads or wrench-monkeys put a ceramic finish or any or your rides?

I meticulously maintain the finish on my '04 325Ci and winter it in the garage from the northeast Ohio winters.

Be thinking of doing a ceramic finish like this - (makes a huge difference in gloss IMO)

https://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-pro-ceramic-coating-kit.html?trk_msg=N7T59BG7T7O4RENPP33PUH3CHC&trk_contact=56MLR1RSQPDKILOLP01HBIHKQC&trk_sid=AJ8E03FO0K166OO8IK8H408F04&utm_source=listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=BLACKFIRE+Pro+Ceramic+Coating+-+Image&utm_campaign=Looking+for+a+new+Paint+Coating%3f+We%27ve+got+you+%22covered%22!

Just looking for opinions good or bad

:cheers:
codguy
ASSHAT

Re: Ceramic Coating?

Post by codguy » September 4th 2018, 6:58am

No help here but it sounds interesting! Paint finishes/coatings have come a looong way since the days of carnuba wax.
Chemical Guys has a product called Jet Seal, I contemplated trying that one but thus far haven't.

If you do try this Blackfire product, let me know how it goes pros/cons.
Datsun240Z71
Founding Member - WIS

Post by Datsun240Z71 » September 5th 2018, 2:59am

No ceramic experience here (they say of course prep is the key), but I've found good products and info here:
https://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-Deta ... /Coatings/

I've had my Corvette (garaged and mainly a fair-weather car) almost a year and have only put two coatings of CAR PRO RELOAD on it. It's a silica based coating. Easy.
Randy in Nashville
labman
Watchlord WIS

Post by labman » September 5th 2018, 12:14pm

Thanks for the link Randy, some good info.

After doing some more research into ceramic sealants I have found that it is susceptible to water spotting that can be difficult to remove if the ceramic coating is not sealed with SiO2.

The SiO2 can be used as its own sealant and does not require the ceramic treatment prior to use.

My car's finish feels like polished glass

One to two times a year I wash, decontaminate, clay bar, use in the following in order (with a Porter Cable XP7424 and appropriate foam pads) M105, M205, Mirror Glaze#7 and then Gold Class Carnauba paste wax.

I am thinking of doing a last step protection with Meguiar's Ultimate Fast Finish - which can be applied over the wax.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?65527-Using-Meguiar-s-Ultimate-Fast-Finish&p=578757

For some reason I tend to migrate towards Meguiar's products. :scratch:

For regular washes I use a good quality wash and wax, silicone squeegee blade the majority of the water off, chamois dry and then finish with Griots Spray On Wax(a good and easy to use product IMO).

I'll follow up with my impression of the Ultimate Fast Finish and am planning on staying away from the ceramic coating for now.
Datsun240Z71
Founding Member - WIS

Post by Datsun240Z71 » September 6th 2018, 4:17am

I need to get some FAST FINISH. I use their Meguiar's ULTIMATE line on my 4 other cars. The compound is a great product (works really well on the Corvette which seems to have inordinately hard clearcoat), and all of them are easy to apply and don't leave white residue behind.

Check out the Car Pro Reload....
https://www.detailedimage.com/CarPro-M5 ... 400-ml-S1/
Randy in Nashville
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Post by 3Flushes » March 5th 2019, 10:08am

I use the Meguiars on my 4Runner and highly recommend it. Good results is all about prep, like everything I 'spose... bad or no prep will lead to streaking and ultimately, the coating won't stick. The first time I used it, I prepped with their clay kit as I had let the finish go for a little while and then I used the spray. The ceramic went on nicely and is great stuff.

I used carnauba wax after to further protect from the salt air, which I will keep up here to protect from the anti and de-icing chemicals they spray on the road- they use a lot of magnesium chloride around here for anti-icing and it's brutal, and the salt mixed with God knows what for de-icing and traction is tough on everything, especially mags.

Now all I have to figure out is how to make a hail-proof car cover for use on the road.

P.S. Use lots of rags and change to clean surfaces about twice as much as you would for wax.
Copyright ©️ 2019 3flushes Media.

The past is never dead. It isn't even past.- Faulkner

Return to “The Drive in”