Shawn Wilsie says good-bye to Watchgeeks

watches under $1000

Re: Shawn Wilsie says good-bye to Watchgeeks

Post by Guest » August 4th 2010, 6:53am

WOW very interesting , I think i was still a member over there at this time and this one went right over my head , cause i dont recall ever hearing about this?
Kudos for Shawn for speaking his mind and not want to be involved with a bunch of half-wits!
Wilse has always been a personal fav. as a host
mrneddles
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Post by mrneddles » August 4th 2010, 7:10am

Watch Noob wrote:"Someone was upset about a MEMBER'S commentary, but did not notify us. They chose to be vague so that we could not figure it out. They took the overly dramatic route, played the martyr, and are enjoying the attention from it."

Now if Shawn was just a joe-blow regular member I could see possibly not going the extra mile to see what the specific concern was. But when a co-worker, friend, and member all in one get's blown off like this, that's just wrong. No wonder everyone thinks Skelton's a douchebag. Once again JS you have shown your true colors. If you didn't own the forum, I'm sure you'd be banned from WG's as well by now.

Someone posted a picture of a homosexual male in leather underwear, chaps, and wearing a dog collar. I don't recall what the context of posting the picture was, but likely some thread regarding Skeletor's innuendo jokes on the shop.

Wilse got po'd. The thread was deleted, loud conversations over pm occured, and a la Goodfellas..."That was that."
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » September 9th 2010, 9:48am

A reminder of what a tool skelton is

Host shawn wilsie leaves watchgeeks...................

to [email protected] facebook

Shawn Wilsie

let it be known here I have requested my membership be terminated in a popular watch group. While there are many, MANY great people as members I have a personal issue with the tone the board has taken lately. Watch collecting (or coins, or anything) should be open to all people based on sex or age without fear that a...ny content they read on a message board will be offensive to them.

From Shawn:

Shawn Wilsie: My last words on the subject

Shawn's Notes|Notes about Shawn|Shawn's Profile

My last words on the subject

Today at 3:27am

Back about 5 years or so ago I used to listen to a radio show hosted by these two guys "Opie and Anthony". They were a comedy show along the lines of Howard Stern, Mancow and that type. Thier particular brand of "no holds barred" comedy meant nobody and no subject was off topic, everything should be "fair game" to their humor.

Then one day the wife of a host they used to be in competition with died suddenly in a car accident. I'm talking about Fredia, wife of "Don Geronimo" (Mike Source in real life) and it started a serious conversation. "O&A" used to be at war with the "Don and Mike show" and many on the "O&A message board" users, and callers, took the hosts to task for not making jokes about her sudden death. The callers insisted "everything is fair game and should be made fun of, you always said so"! The hosts, and comedian Jim Norton, held firm in the belief (as did Howard Stern btw) that after all there are some things that are not funny and you should not under any circumstances make jokes about. Everyone has their line and, in this case, this was theirs.

I'm not saying what my line was, but WG crossed it. If you want to be a member and participate I hold no ill will. Go for it. I just can't endorse them anymore.

I have spoken my LAST WORD on the subject. We need to all move on from this.

Thank you all. I can't express enough how your support has meant so much to me.

Mr. Skelton and his response at Watchgeeks.

jskelton
WatchGeeks Owner
True WatchGeek Join Date: Feb 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is an excerpt from a recent response I made to this topic on another thread yesterday.............

Especially now while there seems to be a line drawn in the sand, and a handful of WG feel the need to choose one side over the other on this issue... even though there are no sides.. WG ownership/staff has done absolutely nothing wrong.

Someone was upset about a MEMBER'S commentary, but did not notify us. They chose to be vague so that we could not figure it out. They took the overly dramatic route, played the martyr, and are enjoying the attention from it.

We believe through research to have discovered the offending post and eliminated it (as we would have anyway), but yet receive no credit for trying to help the situation.

As you can tell, this bothers me on many levels, especially on a personal level. A PM or email, or phone call would have kept this from being an issue at all, but that was not the route chosen.

WG will continue on as it always has, with no changes to our structure or rules. We have a wonderful community filled with terrific people, and we will not let one person sour or poison that, no matter what their motivations truly are.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » October 15th 2010, 12:36pm

jskelton
WatchGeeks Owner
True WatchGeek Join Date: Feb 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is an excerpt from a recent response I made to this topic on another thread yesterday.............

Especially now while there seems to be a line drawn in the sand, and a handful of WG feel the need to choose one side over the other on this issue... even though there are no sides.. WG ownership/staff has done absolutely nothing wrong.

Someone was upset about a MEMBER'S commentary, but did not notify us. They chose to be vague so that we could not figure it out. They took the overly dramatic route, played the martyr, and are enjoying the attention from it.

We believe through research to have discovered the offending post and eliminated it (as we would have anyway), but yet receive no credit for trying to help the situation.

As you can tell, this bothers me on many levels, especially on a personal level. A PM or email, or phone call would have kept this from being an issue at all, but that was not the route chosen.

WG will continue on as it always has, with no changes to our structure or rules. We have a wonderful community filled with terrific people, and we will not let one person sour or poison that, no matter what their motivations truly are.

1946-2006

CA Crew

Post by CA Crew » October 17th 2010, 11:49am

Koi wrote:
Someone posted a picture of a homosexual male in leather underwear, chaps, and wearing a dog collar. I don't recall what the context of posting the picture was, but likely some thread regarding Skeletor's innuendo jokes on the shop.

Wilse got po'd. The thread was deleted, loud conversations over pm occured, and a la Goodfellas..."That was that."

Koi, did Shawn & WG admins PM before he went public w/ resignation?
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » October 17th 2010, 12:30pm

SHawn left not only for that which he saw after the fact, but because the forum was toxic. Shawn is a good guy and I suspect when he saw the direction WG was going he no longer felt comfortable there.

1946-2006

mrneddles
Watchlord WIS

Post by mrneddles » February 6th 2011, 3:38pm

Slowpo wrote:Does anybody know what did the post say. I wonder what did Wilsie read that made leave WG's????

Wilse got po'd. The thread was deleted.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » February 6th 2011, 4:15pm

mps,

I'd be careful with a post like that. Unless Mr. Wilsie wants to admit to that, you'd better be damn sure you are accurate. I really don't think that's an appropriate post here.

Personally, I'd hope you can back up that statement with facts. I know the discourse can get raw on this stie, but you made a clear statement there.

And unless we heard something about the WG snafu from Wilsie himself, this is all hearsay. And I'd hope we as a site could do a lot better than that.

The Best Invicta Ever is: The ones you used to own. - Boscoe
WatchDorks.Net
Senior Member & WIS

Post by WatchDorks.Net » February 6th 2011, 4:27pm

mpswatches wrote:And Shawn is gay, so that did it for him.

Proof? I've never seen anything from Shawn acknowledging his sexual preference. If it's an assumption based on his jovial nature or mannerisms, that's idiocy.
Proud "hater" since 2009. Get over it and have fun reassembling yer wartches.

CA Crew

Post by CA Crew » February 6th 2011, 11:01pm

mpswatches wrote:And Shawn is gay, so that did it for him.

Every day, people's lives are ruined permanently because of such statements. It doesn't matter if it's true or not. And, as someone said above, that's a particular person's info to reveal... or not, and to whom and when.

It saddens and angers me that our country isn't more mature about people's sexual orientation, homosexual or heterosexual. Unfortunately, statements such as yours can mean the difference between a decent income and minimum wages, between being accepted by your family and being kicked out and disinherited, between serving in the military and being dismissed via a dehumanizing process. Yes, this last is ending, but it's just now ending. 2011.

If you consider making this type remark again, please, please think ahead to the catastrophe you may set in motion for the person.
dude
Senior Member & WIS

Post by dude » February 6th 2011, 11:13pm

Back to the slippery slope on that one.

Besides, what difference does it make anyways? Shawn does a decent job on his shows, he took a stand at WGs, that's the long and short of it in my book. Image

My experience on the issue of guys that have a problem with sexuality is that they aren't either comfortable or satified in their own lives. Just my take, YMMV . . . if you will.
Bahoomba
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Bahoomba » February 7th 2011, 7:07am

It's a little ironic that the comment made here is no doubt the type of thing that drove Wilsie away from WGs in the first place. And the last thing this (or any site) needs is to be compared to WGs.

I don't think that comment was appropriate. Actually, I'm offended by it as well.

koi, dark, I'm the last one for censorship, but unsubstantiated claims like that have no place being published in any manner. It's your call, but that's pretty lame.
Rule 1,493: Never photograph a watch on a wrist. On a lovely rock in a pond or a parapet, certainly - but never on a wrist.
- Chapter Seven, The Bazinga! Way To Become A Blogger Billionaire

Return to “Affordable Watch Forum”