What's So Wrong with "Made for TV" Watches?

watches under $!000
JtN©
Senior Member & WIS

What's So Wrong with "Made for TV" Watches?

Post by JtN© » September 16th 2010, 10:38am

If y'all can read the other place ya gotta check out that topic of discussion, it is just dripping with the sweetness of the Kool-Aid as to why they are so fantastic.

What they seriously don't realize is its like riding your Pep-Boys moped motorcycle to down the streets of Sturgis while wearing your Wal-Mart leather vest with a "Mommy's Boy" sticker on your back and ya think your a biker.

It really is a funny thread that deserves all of your attentions.
andrema

Re: What's So Wrong with "Made for TV" Watches?

Post by andrema » September 16th 2010, 11:44am

JtN© wrote:What they seriously don't realize is its like riding your Pep-Boys moped motorcycle to down the streets of Sturgis while wearing your Wal-Mart leather vest with a "Mommy's Boy" sticker on your back and ya think your a biker.

What is wrong with that, this fine filly does it...

Nice button job, you dolt...
andrema

Post by andrema » September 16th 2010, 12:47pm

Maybe he wears his vest like that on purpose. You know, like the gangs wear one pant leg up...that is the way his biker gang rolls. Keep an eye out for him throwing signs in future pictures!
andrema

Post by andrema » September 16th 2010, 12:51pm

Mark2 wrote:Maybe he wears his vest like that on purpose. You know, like the gangs wear one pant leg up...that is the way his biker gang rolls. Keep an eye out for him throwing signs in future pictures!

Bigjimzlll
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 1043975795

Post by Bigjimzlll » September 16th 2010, 1:26pm

Mark2 wrote:
JtN© wrote:What they seriously don't realize is its like riding your Pep-Boys moped motorcycle to down the streets of Sturgis while wearing your Wal-Mart leather vest with a "Mommy's Boy" sticker on your back and ya think your a biker.

What's killing me is...whoever took the picture had to of noticed...lol
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by eddiea » September 16th 2010, 1:39pm

JtN© wrote:If y'all can read the other place ya gotta check out that topic of discussion, it is just dripping with the sweetness of the Kool-Aid as to why they are so fantastic.

What they seriously don't realize is its like riding your Pep-Boys moped motorcycle to down the streets of Sturgis while wearing your Wal-Mart leather vest with a "Mommy's Boy" sticker on your back and ya think your a biker.

It really is a funny thread that deserves all of your attentions.

There is no such thing as made for TV watches... originally, made to be sold in flea and department stores markets everywhere in the world.... Eyal's Invicta is different in claiming a level of workmanship and true watchmaking skills, they just never had while conveying the impression of a serious watch house, in reality they are pretenders, Eyal's Invicta, as well as Lior's SWI, Dave's Croton, Wing's Android, Danny Blair's(the Watch Commander)Oceanaut etc. etc. epitomize the cheap Department Store/flea market watches then TV came along, they all use the medium brillianty.
BTW and quoting foggy... most of us, have no access to WG's

Last edited by Anonymous on September 16th 2010, 2:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » September 16th 2010, 1:47pm

Bigjimzlll wrote:
Mark2 wrote:

What's killing me is...whoever took the picture had to of noticed...lol

Misfit island where all the defective invicta's and geeks go to live! Image
TVDinner

Post by TVDinner » September 16th 2010, 1:59pm

Sturhling WAS created to be sold on TV and limited online outlets. So were some other brands. But the problem is not Sturhling, it is the brand that loves the color yellow.

Let's be honest - there is NOTHING wrong with a watch brand that is sold on TV. It is just another sales outlet. The problem is NOT TELLING THE TRUTH to your customers, or stretching the truth to sleazy levels bordering on illegal to sell watches, or promising one thing over and over again and delivering something completely different.

If the product was quality and the selling honest, no one would question the brand/process/sale.

Post by Guest » September 16th 2010, 2:09pm

TVDinner wrote:Sturhling WAS created to be sold on TV and limited online outlets. So were some other brands. But the problem is not Sturhling, it is the brand that loves the color yellow.

Let's be honest - there is NOTHING wrong with a watch brand that is sold on TV. It is just another sales outlet. The problem is NOT TELLING THE TRUTH to your customers, or stretching the truth to sleazy levels bordering on illegal to sell watches, or promising one thing over and over again and delivering something completely different.

If the product was quality and the selling honest, no one would question the brand/process/sale.

What he said.
Seattle
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Seattle » September 16th 2010, 2:10pm

What he quoted, that the other guy said.....

CJ

SloMo wrote:
TVDinner wrote:Sturhling WAS created to be sold on TV and limited online outlets. So were some other brands. But the problem is not Sturhling, it is the brand that loves the color yellow.

What he said.
eddiea

Post by eddiea » September 16th 2010, 2:30pm

TVDinner wrote:Sturhling WAS created to be sold on TV and limited online outlets.

Stuhrling as well as Ed Hardy and the such are below Department Stores/Flea Market in my book Dinner... I'm not even think of watches, when I think of them... crappy Chinese throw-away fashion . :hhuui:
TemerityB
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

Post by TemerityB » September 16th 2010, 3:39pm

What he said and he said and Dinner said....
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
BigCheez
ASSHAT

Post by BigCheez » September 16th 2010, 4:11pm

TV Watches are garbage and Stuhrling is right there with Invicta and Swiss Legend in that category. There isn't a pisspot of difference between the three as far as:

1. Longterm value.
2. Actual brand history.
3. Being real watch manufacturers.

Plenty of stuff is sold on TV shopping channels, but the bedpreads, jewelry, cosmetics, health potions, gadgets and of course watches that sell EXCLUSIVELY on cable TV "infomercials" are crap.

You perhaps COULD sell real watches on TV, maybe with Valupays or some other gimmick, but the above brands NEED to be misrepresented to sell. And cableTV is just about perfect for that.
Mark1
Facebook ID: 0

Post by Mark1 » September 16th 2010, 5:24pm

One hundred percent correct. I can't believe what a bunch of watch snobs here. Any watch sold on TV is thusly crap? Think about that for a minute and you might want to revisit the labels applied to a whole forum. How many people participated in the thread cited?
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Bigjimzlll
Watchlord WIS

Post by Bigjimzlll » September 16th 2010, 5:42pm

Mark1 wrote:

One hundred percent correct. I can't believe what a bunch of watch snobs here. Any watch sold on TV is thusly crap? Think about that for a minute and you might want to revisit the labels applied to a whole forum. How many people participated in the thread cited?

No not every watch sold on TV is crap. It's the watches made to be sold on TV that are CRAP. Seems pretty simple to me. Sturling,Swiss Legend(oxymoron), Invicta are the 3 big pieces of TV crap.
Bigjimzlll
Watchlord WIS

Post by Bigjimzlll » September 16th 2010, 5:51pm

Mark2 wrote:How about Renato and Croton, are they exempt?

Never owned a Renato, so I can't address it. I have only had 2 Crotons. A swiss Pineapple diver and a Tungsten sw200 that both are pretty decent.

I try to answer only about products I have actually owned.
BigCheez
ASSHAT

Post by BigCheez » September 16th 2010, 6:30pm

I have owned both of those brands. I bought (2) new Crotons (chinese pineapple and swiss tungsten) and one new Renato (vulcan diver), plus a used stallion.

I think both brands lie to sell watches (the hacking "miyota 8215" in the Chinese pineapple, and the limited edition fiasco for Renato).

They don't have actual factories, so to me they are not real watch brands. Just my "snobbish" opinion.

Just to clarify: Seiko, Orient, Citizen, Casio, Swatch, etc, ALL sell watches at this price point. They have factories, they aren't just some Bullshit Scam on ShopNBC.

Post by Guest » September 16th 2010, 8:13pm

eh, I respectfully disagree boscoe. I own a bunch of diff watches, and Renato is the most well made......aside from the G10 era.......altho, my g10's are some of the most accurate quartz that I own.........truely within 10 secs a month.....that's pretty good........on the other side......they are just fashion bling watches.......oh, dont forget........America OWES IT'S ASS TO CHINA.....hmmmm why do you think that is? because they out produce, out think, out market us in every area.
LIES ALL LIES!!!
Senior Member & WIS

Post by LIES ALL LIES!!! » September 16th 2010, 8:21pm

Watches primarily sold on Shop NBC are not all bad per se.... but they have several hurdles that they have failed to clear. A lot of people still have a mindset that home shopping channels pump crap, and frankly Shop NBC excels at pumping crap.

Then you have Invicta with their monthly scandals, lies, huge quality/design blunders. To a lesser extent Renato with their own lies they have been caught in over the years, and mark my words, the only reason Mink has not been pasted to the wall as much as Lalo is because Invicta commands a lot more air time.

Then you got Sturhling Original and Croton, both are very big on the homage. Nicolet is Croton's Rolls Royce line as the Merm likes to say, but you will be hard pressed to find anyone who is not Jim Skelton to agree with him. Oh, then you got "genuine Ed Hardy" watches now, you know, the fashion brand that was really big a few years back but is now available in TJ Max on the dirt cheap.

But then you got companies like Android and Deep Blue who are doing it right, Casio pops up every now and again as does NFW. Lior used to bring in a lot of great brands like Movado and Seiko but it appears SWI has reduced their relationship with Shop NBC to coming in a couple times year and blowing out old stock Swiss Legend at even higher prices then is frequently offered through SWI direct sites.

So it's not all crap, just most of it, and aside from Renato's ethics problems from Mink I would never disparage their quality, that I have always felt was there even if the prices were insane.

Return to “Affordable Watch Forum”