Honestly - Who Is This For?

watches under $!000
TemerityB
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

Honestly - Who Is This For?

Post by TemerityB » July 2nd 2020, 9:54am

I'm still on the Croton mailing list - heaven knows, their annual warehouse sales are a barrel of laughs - and I get this in my email box. Honestly - I don't understand this. I don't understand why they've relaunced Nicolet, their "upscale" brand. I don't understand the styling. I don't understand the design. I don't understand how any could be a "fan" of a brand whose name simply seems meant to confuse and mislead. I just don't understand. I guess maybe only Steven Jay does. I did a little digging and discovered this was a Kickstarter project last year. I don't have words.

Be sure to click the video link here, where Jay's explanation of the "history" of the brand, as well as his hype about this piece they're now trying to give away, is beyond breathless ("The Nicolet Triumph is truly a work of art. When the timepice sits on the wrist, it conveys a sense of power. It's strong, bold, and masculine. It's the very definition of triumph").
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ni ... timepieces
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: Honestly - Who Is This For?

Post by 3Flushes » July 2nd 2020, 10:31am

What a fairy tale.

That's got to be one of the cheesiest teevee wartches I've ever seen- put a cable or two someplace and it could be the worst.

The numbers don't appear to line up with the markers in the chapter ring / perimeter, idk, hard to tell where it is with that 9 layer dial of a feast for the eyes and the distortion of the crystal.
Copyright ©️ 2020 3flushes Media.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » July 2nd 2020, 11:21am

bbattle wrote:
July 2nd 2020, 10:35am
This is a watch for those invicter fans that would like to "branch out" a little.
There was a time - I guess it's a whole decade ago by now - that ShopHQ here in the states was a orgy of pure shit watches - each with its own "brand expert." Jay did Nicolet (along with David Mermelstein for parent company Crton); Larry Magen for the incredible design theft of Stuhrling Original; Michael Davis (!) for Invicta; Ali Viera for XOSkeleton and other brands; and on the list went. Each would regale you with tales of the "craftsmanship" of their various stuff, all with list prices of seven million galizilion dollars that somehow could be yours for just six easy Value Pays of $44. They'd yammer on about "collectibility," show four colors of a watch with one sold out, so you better hit the phones and get yours before they're all gone; talk about "prestige" and "classics"; and fleece like rabid tasmanian devils.

Trust me - back then? Anyone so tasteless to collective Invictas also had horological upchuck like SO and Nicolet, too.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » July 2nd 2020, 1:42pm

codguy wrote:
July 2nd 2020, 1:23pm
Who Is This For?
Mice with no taste........... and is limited to a rebooted wartch forum of shut ins.

You can thank me later.
Calling the "aviator", your "grail" has landed.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bbattle » July 3rd 2020, 2:41pm

TemerityB wrote:
July 2nd 2020, 11:21am
bbattle wrote:
This is a watch for those invicter fans that would like to "branch out" a little.
There was a time - I guess it's a whole decade ago by now - that ShopHQ here in the states was a orgy of pure shit watches - each with its own "brand expert." Jay did Nicolet (along with David Mermelstein for parent company Crton); Larry Magen for the incredible design theft of Stuhrling Original; Michael Davis (!) for Invicta; Ali Viera for XOSkeleton and other brands; and on the list went. Each would regale you with tales of the "craftsmanship" of their various stuff, all with list prices of seven million galizilion dollars that somehow could be yours for just six easy Value Pays of $44. They'd yammer on about "collectibility," show four colors of a watch with one sold out, so you better hit the phones and get yours before they're all gone; talk about "prestige" and "classics"; and fleece like rabid tasmanian devils.

Trust me - back then? Anyone so tasteless to collective Invictas also had horological upchuck like SO and Nicolet, too.
The sales pitches alone are enough to make me run...over to the remote so I can change channels.

Why do people fall for such bullshit? Do they need a watch that can compete with their tattoos, piercings and gauges?
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » July 3rd 2020, 3:27pm

bbattle wrote:
July 3rd 2020, 2:41pm
TemerityB wrote:
July 2nd 2020, 11:21am
bbattle wrote:

The sales pitches alone are enough to make me run...over to the remote so I can change channels.

Why do people fall for such bullshit? Do they need a watch that can compete with their tattoos, piercings and gauges?
It's TV, the one-eyed bandit. You just know that millions of people run out to buy those copper or granite frying pans to make their omelets in ... even though they never make omelets to begin with, but that's not the point - the man on the TV told them to. This is America, man - tell 'em something, anything, no matter how specious, more than twice - and, boy, will they believe it.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » July 29th 2020, 12:17pm

Okay: So how do you make a bad deal way worse - as in way worse?

This is about the same watch, same photos as above, but here's the new "deal":

NICOLET 1886 TRIUMPH
BUY ANY ONE AT OUR REGULAR PRICE OF $999.00 AND RECEIVE ANY OTHER TWO FOR FREE !!!!!

So basically, the good people at Croton/"Nicolet" want you to lay out $1,000 for three of ... those.

Steven and The Merm may not be on TV anymore, but wow, do they still have some huge balls. Good heavens.

Return to “Affordable Watch Forum”