What is an "Affordable Watch" by the forum's standards ?

watches under $!000

what's really an "Affordable Watch" by the forum's standards ?

1. less than $50
No votes
2. less than $100
7%
3. less than $250
23%
4. less than $500
40%
5. less than $1,000
23%
6. less than $2000
7%

Total votes: 30

gerdson
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: What is an "Affordable Watch" by the forum's standards ?

Post by gerdson » February 25th 2020, 10:08pm

Interesting, to ask for this forum's vote. Being a half commie, I think in the range up to 250 there is a wide variety of actually very nice models.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
MAX
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by MAX » February 26th 2020, 6:58am

As long as you can afford it, it is affordable but maybe not the smartest of decisions. I go for comfort. I try to buy in the range that is something happens to the watch it only makes me feel bad and is not a financial disaster. Think people parking a Ferrari close to the door at a WalMart. To some its just a ding, to me heresy.

Out of 20 watches, only 3 are above $500 so I went with that. $500 also goes a long way with pre-loved and sales.
NRPI here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
biglove (Online)
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » February 26th 2020, 9:39pm

I voted $500 but for me, at this point in time, $300 is what I consider “affordable.”
My best friend from college shared his secret to his huge financial success, "I fell out of the right vagina."

"We should just sanction stupidity as our national pastime and be done with it."-TemerityB, WL Asshat
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » February 26th 2020, 10:58pm

I don't normally tell normal people (i,e,, non-WISs) what I pay for my watches. However, when I had my Exploder serviced last year, I drove the watch down to Portland and drove there again to pick it up (mainly because the cost of gas was less than shipping the bastard) and told people I worked with about it. Naturally, they asked the price of the service, which was around $450.

They were literally astounded by that figure, even though it was far less than Rolex would have charged.
MAX
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by MAX » February 27th 2020, 6:22am

biglove wrote:
February 26th 2020, 9:39pm
I voted $500 but for me, at this point in time, $300 is what I consider “affordable.”
That is the one I would have picked also but alas, it was not on the poll. Many of my watches fall around $275-$300 so 250 was too low.
NRPI here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”

Return to “Affordable Watch Forum”