What is an "Affordable Watch" by the forum's standards ?

watches under $!000

what's really an "Affordable Watch" by the forum's standards ?

1. less than $50
No votes
2. less than $100
7%
3. less than $250
23%
4. less than $500
40%
5. less than $1,000
23%
6. less than $2000
7%

Total votes: 30

gerdson (Online)
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: What is an "Affordable Watch" by the forum's standards ?

Post by gerdson » February 25th 2020, 10:08pm

Interesting, to ask for this forum's vote. Being a half commie, I think in the range up to 250 there is a wide variety of actually very nice models.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
MAX (Online)
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by MAX » February 26th 2020, 6:58am

As long as you can afford it, it is affordable but maybe not the smartest of decisions. I go for comfort. I try to buy in the range that is something happens to the watch it only makes me feel bad and is not a financial disaster. Think people parking a Ferrari close to the door at a WalMart. To some its just a ding, to me heresy.

Out of 20 watches, only 3 are above $500 so I went with that. $500 also goes a long way with pre-loved and sales.
NRPI here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » February 26th 2020, 10:58pm

I don't normally tell normal people (i,e,, non-WISs) what I pay for my watches. However, when I had my Exploder serviced last year, I drove the watch down to Portland and drove there again to pick it up (mainly because the cost of gas was less than shipping the bastard) and told people I worked with about it. Naturally, they asked the price of the service, which was around $450.

They were literally astounded by that figure, even though it was far less than Rolex would have charged.
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
MAX (Online)
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by MAX » February 27th 2020, 6:22am

biglove wrote:
February 26th 2020, 9:39pm
I voted $500 but for me, at this point in time, $300 is what I consider “affordable.”
That is the one I would have picked also but alas, it was not on the poll. Many of my watches fall around $275-$300 so 250 was too low.
NRPI here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”

Return to “Affordable Watch Forum”