I hate Stuhrling Original

watches under $!000
LIES ALL LIES!!!
Senior Member & WIS

Re: I hate Stuhrling Original

Post by LIES ALL LIES!!! » July 19th 2010, 11:38am

boscoe wrote:Plus, the product's company used to be absolute shit.
I still have a Stuhrling that arrived DOA and I couldn't be bothered to send back.
Crap.

That's your own fault Boscoe. If you get a DOA watch and you don't send it back for replacement or refund that's you throwing your own money down the toilet. I just got a Bluetooth Headset from Jawbone (the Bluetooth maker, not Skelton) and it was DOA. Does that mean they are crap? Nope, just got a bad one. Sent it back and they replaced it with a working one.
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by eddiea » July 19th 2010, 11:46am

LIES ALL LIES!!! wrote:
boscoe wrote:Plus, the product's company used to be absolute shit.
I still have a Stuhrling that arrived DOA and I couldn't be bothered to send back.
Crap.

That's your own fault Boscoe. If you get a DOA watch and you don't send it back for replacement or refund that's you throwing your own money down the toilet. I just got a Bluetooth Headset from Jawbone (the Bluetooth maker, not Skelton) and it was DOA. Does that mean they are crap? Nope, just got a bad one. Sent it back and they replaced it with a working one.

Yeap, the make pretty crappy stuff... Larry is a just a thief with carisma and white out teeth.
BigCheez
ASSHAT

Post by BigCheez » July 19th 2010, 11:52am

If Stuhrling Original was so honest, why would they use a name designed to fool unsuspecting buyers into assuming they were a German company?

I see no difference between them and the dozens of mushroom brands on eBay that are 100% Chinese and pretend to be German, except the eBay watches are a LOT cheaper.
TemerityB
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

Post by TemerityB » July 19th 2010, 11:55am

I think I'm with dude on this one. I have a couple, and that's probably all there will be; I don't think SO copies designs as much as they take the elements of some high-end stuff and soups 'em up to the point of ridiculousness. Personally, I think Larry Magen is a genuine, good person who enjoys his work (met him quite by accident).

At this stage of the game, tho, I think I'd rather save my pennies and pick up watches with a bit more distinction and prestige. Their quality I haven't had a fault with at this price point. I do like a couple of their designs, and as someone who has a, say, $2,000 legit price point as my usual limit, if he's stealing from top Euro brands, I probably don't have the acumen to realize who they are copping from. Since I will never afford A.Lange, etc, I can't identify them readily (jeeez, I'm a'gonna get drummed outta here....)
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
LIES ALL LIES!!!
Senior Member & WIS

Post by LIES ALL LIES!!! » July 19th 2010, 12:02pm

BigCheez wrote:If Stuhrling Original was so honest, why would they use a name designed to fool unsuspecting buyers into assuming they were a German company?

I see no difference between them and the dozens of mushroom brands on eBay that are 100% Chinese and pretend to be German, except the eBay watches are a LOT cheaper.

Simple. The Von Burg family own SO.
LIES ALL LIES!!!
Senior Member & WIS

Post by LIES ALL LIES!!! » July 19th 2010, 12:07pm

TemerityB wrote:I think I'm with dude on this one. I have a couple, and that's probably all there will be; I don't think SO copies designs as much as they take the elements of some high-end stuff and soups 'em up to the point of ridiculousness. Personally, I think Larry Magen is a genuine, good person who enjoys his work (met him quite by accident).

Yep. While SO has some obvious models that are homages, they are not exact 1:1 clones by any stretch. They usually beef the design up to 48mm+, add some colors and dial work and change around a few small things. Still not ideal by any means, but it's not like Invicta with their low end Miyota pro-divers that are damn near 1:1 Rolex sub replicas.
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by eddiea » July 19th 2010, 12:29pm

LIES ALL LIES!!! wrote:
BigCheez wrote:If Stuhrling Original was so honest, why would they use a name designed to fool unsuspecting buyers into assuming they were a German company?

The Von Burg family is not German but Swiss , they are ( aside from owning Stuhrling Original) responsable for the shady Claro-Semag movement, that is now own by Fossil and made in China but claim to be Swiss... same shit different day.
LIES ALL LIES!!!
Senior Member & WIS

Post by LIES ALL LIES!!! » July 19th 2010, 12:40pm

eddiea wrote:
LIES ALL LIES!!! wrote:

The Von Burg family is not German but Swiss , they are ( aside from owning Stuhrling Original) responsable for the shady Claro-Semag movement, that is now own by Fossil and made in China but claim to be Swiss... same shit different day.

The Von Burg lineage is German in orgin, The Von Burg's are Swiss watchmakers over several generations. George J Von Burg III may be part German by heritage but he has probably never spent any real time in Germany. He is for all intensive purposes a Swiss watchmaker with a German name. Kind of like how SO is a Chinese produced watch with a German name. lol

You are correct about Claro-Semag. There has been a lot of controversy around that movement. I don't know enough about it to really speak on it though.
nlandin

Post by nlandin » July 19th 2010, 12:58pm

Anyway you look at it, its marketing. "Fooling" the buyer, well, the whole retail business is "fooling" us. From watches to cars, buy a Toyota truck, made by Toyota, built in Fremont, CA by NUMI (used to, closed now), but we still call it Japanese. IMHO, I think we go a little overboard on the "Origins" of a product. If know what it is, don't buy it; if it doesn't bother you, then who cares; if it bothers you...move on. You can rant and rave, but they average shopper is not going to listen, they listen to their eyes.

Post by Guest » July 19th 2010, 1:08pm

man, you guys got "watch dirt" down to a science! I learn something bad(new) here every day! at least it's the truth..........isnt it??? lol
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » July 19th 2010, 2:52pm

lies lies lies,

Damn skippy. That Invicta model is what put the company on the map - selling a note-for-note Rolie copy. They're not alone in doing it - cripes, I know about seven other brands where those watches look interchangable - but the ol' yellow box made a rollie copy that actually fooled people for about 45 minutes.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
WatchDorks.Net
Senior Member & WIS

Post by WatchDorks.Net » July 19th 2010, 5:30pm

Damn. I'm starting to get the feeling that everyone here just hates everyone. Period.

Does anyone have anything nice to say about ANY of the TV brands? I'd nominate Android and Wing, but based on the overall attitudes I see here, I'd expect the "chink" epithets to start flowing.

Harsh on all fronts...
Proud "hater" since 2009. Get over it and have fun reassembling yer wartches.

boscoe
ASSHAT

Post by boscoe » July 19th 2010, 5:58pm

We are a tough and jaded crowd here, HH, sparse in our praise, thick with our scorn.
Most TV brands have earned the contempt they get here because of their slight-of-hand marketing. I APPROVE of this Larry being up front about his watch origins. NOT a fan of stealing other people's ideas or work. So he gets a plus one - and a minus 9 for being a thief. Net score: Asshole!
Now let's talk Croton. I think David Mermelstein's watches are, for the most part, crap. But I know he stands behind his product, his touted "lifetime guarantee" is real and he honors his warranty without bullshit like Lalo. Net score: An okay dude. Wish him well.
Now I'll do Swiss Watch International. Swiss Legend, made in Asia, nothing Swiss about it - minus 6 for bullshit. SWI Limited Editions - good value, nice watches, plus 2. Overall, good customer service, good communications, plus 3. Net score: There's a reason I call him Lior BS.
How's that?
Bigjimzlll
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 1043975795

Post by Bigjimzlll » July 19th 2010, 6:14pm

SO, Android, SWI, Renalto, Croton have not screwed me...and never will. So I have no opinion on them...or should I say no educated opinion. I don't own SO or Renalto(never will) so no worries. The 1 Android and 2 Crotons I own are very nice. I do want a 7751 SWI...si I'll wait until then to judge SWI
BigCheez
ASSHAT

Post by BigCheez » July 19th 2010, 6:19pm

heavyharmonies wrote:Damn. I'm starting to get the feeling that everyone here just hates everyone. Period.

Does anyone have anything nice to say about ANY of the TV brands? I'd nominate Android and Wing, but based on the overall attitudes I see here, I'd expect the "chink" epithets to start flowing.

Harsh on all fronts...

When have you seen anyone bring race into a discussion here?

I have nothing bad to say about Wing, and I've never heard anything bad about him, either. I don't happen to care for his watches, but I've kind of been-there and done-that with the TV brands anyway.

TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » July 19th 2010, 7:33pm

bigjim,

I must be practical to the point of boring. I found out about the 7751 (and all the Valjoux movements) and started to get really interested in the workings of it, and I still am - but I'm never going to buy one even if I get a great deal. Why? I don't need a chronograph. I mean, it's cool, but I think the diver/chrono/sports thing gets WAY overplayed. Being in a large city working in an office, I'm more geared toward vintage looks and such, and the, say, Oris auto movements (think SW 200) serve me just fine. Let the rock throwin' begin, lol. But I'm serious: I ain't going diving, I'm not timing any races. So I'm not buying divers and chronos. To me, it's like walking around with a space helmet on when you're not an astronaut...

A favorite old expression: "If you buy a hat, you can be a cowboy, too."
Aqua Homer
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Aqua Homer » July 19th 2010, 10:41pm

Sturhling Sucks. Who cares about Larry Magen? As far as Claro-Semag is concerned, I CAN speak intelligently on the matter. The two current moderators of the WUS Chinese Mechanical Forum are wholly responsible for the authoring of the "Chinese Watch Industry WIKI", which has asserted opinion as fact since 2006. Please do yourselves a favor and find some vintage Semag powered watches from the 60's. Seagull copied the Semag pin-lever escapement from the word go. Not the other way around as claimed by Chinese watch enthusiasts.
sandoz

Post by sandoz » July 20th 2010, 6:36am

BigCheez wrote:
heavyharmonies wrote:
...Does anyone have anything nice to say about ANY of the TV brands? I'd nominate Android and Wing, but based on the overall attitudes I see here, I'd expect the "chink" epithets to start flowing....

When have you seen anyone bring race into a discussion here?....

Never but even if it were discussed I wouldnt necessarily mind it. The nicest thing i can say about TV brands is that they are fine if you like chinese watches. If you want all swiss or mostly swiss made watches you need to shop elsewhere.

Post by Guest » July 20th 2010, 9:04am

I liked the SWI three hand, I ordered one on strap before they were available on bracelet. It had the silver dial with blued (painted) hand and Roman numeral markers. The first one came the crown wouldn't screw back down so I sent it back for an exchange. The second one came and it wouldn't wind. It would run for about 5 seconds and then stop. So despite how much I liked it I decided it was not worth the headache. This was the last time I purchased anything from SWI. This was to be one of their special "signature" watches and yet it would seem it received some pretty shitty QC.
As for Mr. Harmonies the brands were hard on (I know I said HARD ON!) have for the most part earned what they get from us. We here are made up of some pretty crusty old dudes who have been collecting watches for a long while. Many of us have made a great number of purchases from SNBC because it was believed at one time that the watches and the value were good. But it only takes getting kicked in the nuts so many times before one wises up. You should however not judge us and simply take what we say with a grain of salt. Mention whatever brands you wish, what you'll get is an honest opinion of said brand. Buy them and find out for yourself. Were all friends here but were not going to hold hands and sing Kumbaya by the camp fire.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » July 20th 2010, 9:55am

Koi,

Jeez...yeah, that's magnificent.
boscoe
ASSHAT

Post by boscoe » July 20th 2010, 11:49am

I have the SWI three-hand and love it.
I'm with you Temerity. Have no use for chronos. Have sold almost every one I owned, though I may have three left. Basically useless. I DO have a soft spot for moonphase (latent werewolf) though they are even MORE useless. Only own one.
However, dive watches are another matter. I'm really big on 200M WR and wish my true dress watches had that feature. With some pricey, pricey dressers you have to worry about getting wet while washing your hands.
So that's practical to me. I also swim, snorkel and dive (though not much). So I have a use for the depth. But the bezel thing is bogus

Return to “Affordable Watch Forum”