Why do we spend so much time discussing geeks?

watches under $!000
koimaster
Founder

Why do we spend so much time discussing geeks?

Post by koimaster » July 17th 2010, 8:34am

Just a question I asked myself the other day after reading some of our posts and my personal opinions are

1. Because they are so interesting as a whole. A bunch of people in a social network site made to sell to you, disguised as a watch forum.

2. In many cases IMHO, people who know nothing or little about watches getting together to talk about nothing they know about.

3. A place where leaders who are powerless in the real world can pretend to be experts and leaders to many others.

4. A place where a lot of lonely people can visit and make internet buddies who may one day turn out to be real buddies.

5. A place where many people who need to be led or told what to do can get together and be led or told what to do.

6. A place where many can purchase something they could not otherwise afford through "value pays".

7. A place where they don't care if they are lied to. Someone is speaking to them

8. A place where they think the owners like them or think they are friends with powerful people.

9. A place for many clueless people who one day may wake up and smell the Hamilton, Seiko, Ball and Rolex watches out there.

10. A place run by many who in real life are liars, grifters and frauds.

Last edited by Anonymous on July 17th 2010, 8:40am, edited 3 times in total.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Re: Why do we spend so much time discussing geeks?

Post by eddiea » July 17th 2010, 10:41am

That pretty much covers it...
It is an internet social site, the price of admission is to go with the owners flow and praise the crap they sell... the less they know about horology, the better.
An educated consumer is not a good thing there so, the main goal is to target tools, ignorants and pretenders.

Post by Guest » July 17th 2010, 10:59am

Mainly because everything they left and said they would never be has come back tenfold! In the begining i bought the us vs. the world mentality but as time went on and the more a found out trouble follows this group like the plague! If there was only one thing i've learned it would be "it's never they're fault"! then they build power hungry monsters like George and Brad who at one time were good guys but the aroma of power is too strong for them to resist!
TemerityB
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

Post by TemerityB » July 17th 2010, 11:15am

Hard to disagree with koi's summation. However, I think one of the problems with WGs is that many of the members there take it (and their favorite brand) way, WAY too seriously - which in turn can lead to some great comedy. At other times, it makes you want to throw a brick at your own PC, when the cult like members keep screaming "gimme more!!" even after the 25,454th proof that the IWG stuff is pure crap.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » July 17th 2010, 11:27am

cali kid wrote:Mainly because everything they left and said they would never be has come back tenfold! In the begining i bought the us vs. the world mentality but as time went on and the more a found out trouble follows this group like the plague! If there was only one thing i've learned it would be "it's never they're fault"! then they build power hungry monsters like George and Brad who at one time were good guys but the aroma of power is too strong for them to resist!

George was NEVER a good guy. He was a paid informant, getting $200 a week to narc on people. He had so much credibility that a cop had to go undercover to vouch for him.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
foghorn

Post by foghorn » July 17th 2010, 12:17pm

Because after years on the forums you can only respond to "if you could only choose one watch....?", "What do you like better auto or quartz?", "Strap or bracelet?", "I've got one one coming,guess what it is", " What's the best way to ship?", "let's see your beaters" etc. threads!!

WG and Invicta give new and fresh opportunities everyday to relax, have a laugh, and get your post count up.

Geektalk is refreshing.
Thank you Jim,Mikey, and Eyal for providing potentially burnt out WIS with something to lift our spirits.
Last edited by Anonymous on July 18th 2010, 4:12am, edited 1 time in total.
Watch Noob
Founding Member

Post by Watch Noob » July 17th 2010, 12:27pm

Well thought out and respectful post Foggy. As usual you ae spot on once again.
I actually have started to play a game of the Slop Invicta airings with the wife. It's called "Guess the next lie". We should all watch an airing and make a drinking game of it. Each time Jim Hoagie destroyer Skelton or Maddog 20/20 Davis lie we do a shot. Guaranteed to get you shit faced in the first hour.
Drifter on Watchlords

Post by Guest » July 17th 2010, 2:21pm

9. A place for many clueless people who one day may wake up and smell the Hamilton, Seiko, Ball and Rolex watches out there.

I've seen the light thanks to people like Koi and most of the members on this forum.
Thank you all for that, Seriously!
Last edited by Guest on August 31st 2010, 5:14pm, edited 1 time in total.
WatchDorks.Net
Senior Member & WIS

Post by WatchDorks.Net » July 17th 2010, 3:42pm

11. It's entertaining as hell, and it allows those of us who got fucked by the administration over there to get our jabs in at those cocksuckers.
Proud "hater" since 2009. Get over it and have fun reassembling yer wartches.

Post by Guest » July 17th 2010, 3:58pm

Watch Noob wrote:Well thought out and respectful post Foggy. As usual you ae spot on once again.
I actually have started to play a game of the Slop Invicta airings with the wife. It's called "Guess the next lie". We should all watch an airing and make a drinking game of it. Each time Jim Hoagie destroyer Skelton or Maddog 20/20 Davis lie we do a shot. Guaranteed to get you shit faced in the first hour.

Then we have to post in a thread, it will be real easy to see who got fucked up the most! Man i already ramble, that would be some funny shit Noob!

Post by Guest » July 17th 2010, 8:53pm

LOL, I owe you one shipmate!

foghorn wrote:
Simple.
Because I am not afraid to speak my mind, consequences be damned!

Not unlike a certain sailor I know. Unlike many we more "seasoned" WIS can handle the truth.
Mark1

Post by Mark1 » July 17th 2010, 8:56pm

boscoe wrote:Geeks rule!
We ALL are wannabe geeks

I are one-livin' the dream. Shhh-don't say anything less I be banned for associating with you wannabes.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.

Post by Guest » July 18th 2010, 7:20am

Watch Noob wrote:Well thought out and respectful post Foggy. As usual you ae spot on once again.
I think I might need a funnel for this game :smiile:
BigCheez
ASSHAT

Post by BigCheez » July 18th 2010, 7:39am

It's like a soap opera:
1. The grifter exploits of Jaws (pre-Slop)
2. Mad Dog's insane anger-management problems and slovenly, perma-bender appearance
3. The hilarious "Perils of Pauline" exploits of Eyal and geeks management to provide damage control every time their lies and deceptions come to light, using bannings, thread-deletions and heavy-handed tactics to change the subject.

It all comes down to a very fun ride whether you are a fan of suspense or comedy.

Post by Guest » July 18th 2010, 7:41pm

foghorn wrote:Because after years on the forums you can only respond to "if you could only choose one watch....?", "What do you like better auto or quartz?", "Strap or bracelet?", "I've got one one coming, guess what it is", " What's the best way to ship?", "let's see your beaters", etc. threads!!

WG and Invicta give new and fresh opportunities..........................

Having been around "watch forum world" and reading several forums with lots of time to do it, this rings so true. I mean how many of the same topics over and over with nothing new or interesting in them. If you've put in the massive time to read a lot of it, the only thing interesting in what's new/coming out while learning a few new things now and then. I've found that is true on all watch forums. The beginning was so much new info no matter what or who you were buying; it was like being a sponge. But now it can be a struggle to find new and interesting info unless you want to dive deeper into things that do not affect you (at least me) directly - Patek, high grade movements, and other things I will likely never buy. There are only so many watches and watch companies and subjects on the matter that fall in each person's price range or style....................plus, as others said, A LOT of resentment as well.

Return to “Affordable Watch Forum”