Jean Marcel: The "Caviar Of Pure Swiss Watches"

watches under $!000
TemerityB
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

Jean Marcel: The "Caviar Of Pure Swiss Watches"

Post by TemerityB » August 7th 2015, 5:02pm

Wow. For some reason, good ol' Richard Kalina and Jean Marcel entered my mind, so I found their webiste, just to see if they were perpetuating. What greeted my bloodshot eyes was some of the most over-the-top sales jargon ever, right up there with Stauer newspaper ads and anything boasted about on Slop. Enjoy - I can only wonder if this came from the penny pen of Mr. K himself!

Jean Marcel Watches - The fine line between expense and investment

Jean Marcel is the 100% Pure Swiss watch brand and the No. 1 Global producer of "Limited Edition" complications. To insure exclusivity, only 300 pieces of each model are produced for worldwide sales. Exclusive means only 299 other people in the world can wear the same watch as you.

Award winning Jean Marcel has almost a century of fine, Pure Swiss watchmaking history and is the two time winner of the highest Swiss design and manufacturing award, the Golden Roses Award.

Jean Marcel is considered the champagne and caviar of Pure Swiss watches and has earned an international reputation for manufacturing the finest hand finished, pure Swiss mechanical "Limited Edition" timepieces.

With the secure investment of a Jean Marcel watch, you will have the assurance of an exceptional product of Swiss Master Watchmakers that will always reflect your distinctive personality and individualism.

http://www.jeanmarcelwatches.com/
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
Mortuus Fakeuus

Re: Jean Marcel: The "Caviar Of Pure Swiss Watches"

Post by Mortuus Fakeuus » August 7th 2015, 5:25pm

I dunno, TemB; I rather think the Kalina brand should be the recipient of the Veronica Moser "kaviar" Award, especially with the prominent part played by Rick Kalina's greasy old Havana Tobakuh Brown Starfish... :o :? :oops:
Luftwafflles
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Luftwafflles » August 8th 2015, 8:51pm

Jean Marcel is the bestest cause Rick told me they invented straps, hands, dials, crowns, and all shades of brown. Before Jean Marcel, other brands just used twigs, rocks, and dirt.
We called another exterminator to take care of the rat problem in the basement. This one hasn't come out either.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » August 8th 2015, 10:37pm

You guys are haterz. Rick Kalina is the obvious, natural heir to the Motherfucking Merm. Seldom has a guy with as small a chin, as large a gut, and as absurd a sales pitch as the Motherfucking Kalina been so important and influential in the watch trade.

Remember, when you buy a Jean Marcel, you have a friend in the watch business!
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
biglove (Online)
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » August 9th 2015, 4:04am

But they are surely the caviar of watches!

I mean, look at those names! All Latiny stuff!

Ain't know 'Murican or Jap watch companee usin know lAtiN knames likke thoys phine wartches!!!!!!!!!
"I always complain because I'm old now and everything hurts."-Mike Rowe
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » August 9th 2015, 12:36pm

AJC wrote:I can't find any evidence that there is a "Golden Roses Award" that is in any way related to watches.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Rose_Award

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
biglove (Online)
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » August 9th 2015, 12:44pm

koimaster wrote:
AJC wrote:I can't find any evidence that there is a "Golden Roses Award" that is in any way related to watches.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Rose_Award

That's for writers?
"I always complain because I'm old now and everything hurts."-Mike Rowe
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » August 9th 2015, 12:48pm

Ahh. A watch design contest in germany. Almost every company in the world has won.

baden-baden golden rose for wrist watches Was my google search.

1946-2006

Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Post by Falstaff » August 10th 2015, 6:49am

Mortuus wrote:Y'know, I do remember buying a few Crotons with twig 'n rock bracekets, Lufty. Anyhow, just remember one thing, gang: "Kalina" spelled backwards is "anilaK"...

You've been watching too many Serutan commercials on Ted Mack's Amateur Hour.
"Open the pod bay doors, Hal." "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » August 10th 2015, 12:04pm

conjurer wrote:Remember, when you buy a Jean Marcel, you have a friend in the watch business!

Yep. At least until they disappear after Mark "Shop, Share, Spew" Bozek determines the margins aren't slim enough, and then the "friend" is outta there like grain through a goose.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
Mortuus Fakeuus

Post by Mortuus Fakeuus » August 10th 2015, 3:01pm

Falstaff wrote:
Mortuus wrote:Y'know, I do remember buying a few Crotons with twig 'n rock bracekets, Lufty. Anyhow, just remember one thing, gang: "Kalina" spelled backwards is "anilaK"...

Yes, but don't forget the main takeaway: Serutan backwards is natureS! "Can't go poop? Well now you can! When you take brand-new Serutan!!" [Toilet Flushes. Fade to Black.]
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » January 23rd 2018, 12:08pm

So with the recent Jean Marcel awakening I thought it would be nice to bump this up.

I am curious how this brand is being sold in the US as the main website which is EU based makes a claim not to ship outside the EU.

"Dear Visitor,

please note that we currently ship to countries within the European Union only."

http://www.jeanmarcel.com/

"Jean Marcel: The most understated German brand?"

Some background: the watchmaker was established in 1981 in Baden-Baden, which is in the southern part of Germany. You might be already thinking: how does a German company get a French-sounding name? Well that came about because founder Jürgen Kuhn named it after an employee from French-speaking Switzerland.

http://www.europastar.com/news/10040893 ... brand.html

EUROPA STAR ARCADE - Jean Marcel, vertical limit

Contrary to what its name might suggest, the Jean Marcel brand is actually German, more precisely from Baden-Baden in the south. Launched in 1981 by Jürgen Kuhn (and named after an employee originally from French-speaking Switzerland!), it is now run by the founder and his son, Marcel. “We come from a family of Pforzheim watchmakers and my son, who is in charge of business development, is the fourth Kuhn generation in the watch industry,” proudly explains Jürgen Kuhn. Jean Marcel can rely on the strength of the German market, as domestic sales now represent 80% of its turnover. The brand is, however, Swiss-made: “We assemble our watches in Switzerland with partners, for a total production of about 3,000 watches a year (80% automatic and 20% quartz). Without exception we are using ETA automatic movements for our mechanical collection.”

REBOOSTING EXPORTS
While the brand has recently focused on the German market, it now seeks to expand internationally. “Ten years ago, we registered good results in the United States and the Middle East, but our partners have changed their management and we unfortunately lost our privileged relations on these markets. It is difficult to find good distributors but these are definitely two priority markets to develop.

http://www.europastar.com/e-magazine/fe ... ml?lang=en

1946-2006

TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » January 23rd 2018, 8:33pm

Falstaff wrote:

I'm only several years too late in noting this, but that's one the greatest single line posts in the history of anything - oh, man. :lol:
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » January 24th 2018, 9:25am

Dear Alain,

Many thanks for this additional information.

We will carry out some investigations into this case. Principally, we will
concentrate on violations of geographical indications (Swiss Made).

We very much appreciate your help.

Best regards
Yves

1946-2006

TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » January 24th 2018, 8:33pm

koimaster wrote:
Dear Alain,

Many thanks for this additional information.

We will carry out some investigations into this case. Principally, we will
concentrate on violations of geographical indications (Swiss Made).

We very much appreciate your help.

Best regards
Yves

Nice, koi.

WL at work. Lovin' it.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » January 24th 2018, 11:04pm

Interestingly, while my above (old) post about Rick Kalina mentioned that he was the obvious heir to Daniel "The Motherfucking Merm" Mermelstein, apparently there was some sort of business relationship between the two.

At Kalina's LinkedIn page:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/richard-kalina-b83741b

Apart from the fact that he has a Linkedin page, him being older than Mort by a long shot, there's some tidbits that are telling:

Vice President Sales and Marketing- Partner and owner
Nicolet International Watch Company
January 1994 – December 1996 (3 years)
Largest private-label watch company producer in the U.S. and Canadian market. Produced watches for the largest retail jewelry chains and independent retail jewelers. Also marketed Nicolet brand watches for the U.S. market and Canada.

And:

Co-Owner
co-owner of Nicolet Watch Co.
1989 – 1991 (2 years)
Largest Private Label ( brand) watch producer in the U..S. market

Nicolet Watch Co., as opposed to Armand Nicolet Watches (a real watch company in Switzerland), this particular Nicolet brand was part of Croton, owned by--of course--the Motherfucking Merm.

Adding to this is the fact that Kalina--all 350 pounds of him--appears to live in Florida, well, you get the picture.
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » November 6th 2019, 12:26pm

Intro

Presidnt and owner at Euro-Time International
Owner and President at Jean Marcel Pure Swiss timepieces
Former Started at the bottom of the ladder and learned my way up Hary BULOVA Henshel was my Godfather who taught me everything about the watch business fo almost 30 years. at Bulova Watch Co.
Studied Business Finance/Marketing at Wayne State University
Studied Radio/TV Production, Communications at Emerson College
Studied Business/Fashion Marketing at Fashion Institute of Technology
Studied Business Finance/Marketing at NYU
Studied Buniness/ finance/marketing at Hofstra University
Went to Cheshire Academy
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A lot of "studying" but apparently did not graduate. When did you find the time to work for 30 years for "god Father" Bulova?
Lives in Lake Worth, Florida
From Rockville Centre, New York
Married

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/09/busi ... nshel.html

1946-2006

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » November 6th 2019, 5:46pm

Apart from the fact that info is posted on LinkedIn, which carries as much veracity as a singles-hookup-website, it appears that Rick clambered out of his iron lung long enough to co-own Nicolet Watches at the same time he supposedly worked for Bulova. Which is probably uncool, at least from Bulova's point of view.

--Hawkeye

Return to “Affordable Watch Forum”