Thinking about taking the plunge.

Digital and Smart watches
ocean
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Thinking about taking the plunge.

Post by ocean » December 25th 2019, 3:36pm

I have seen this in person and am really torn between getting one or not. It would be great for when I am in meetings or dealing with vendors on the other hand I am a traditionalist that wears a three hander at work.
I do like it though.

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-watch/ap ... tep=detail#
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them. George Mason
ocean
Master of Time

Re: Thinking about taking the plunge.

Post by ocean » December 25th 2019, 5:56pm

artman wrote:
December 25th 2019, 5:36pm
Why don't you buy a stock Apple watch for $500 and a brown strap for $50? That will save you almost a thousand bucks.
Because it’s a part of my Christmas bonus. Not needing a new phone or iPad upgrade was in November.
To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them. George Mason
AntFarm
Watchlord WIS

Post by AntFarm » December 25th 2019, 7:48pm

I never thought I would wear an Apple watch until I was gifted one. I gave it a try and being able to receive messages on my wrist instead of picking up my phone is invaluable... Also since I'm connected to the wi-fi, if I'm away from my desk, and forget to take my phone, I still can get messages.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » December 25th 2019, 8:03pm

Since the Swiss have been such sweeties of late, I say go for it.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Post by Nuvolari » December 25th 2019, 8:23pm

Yeah, and you can sink up your mechanicals to the Apple Watch when it’s on the charger showing a large time display. I have a v4 that I enjoy... but it is, after all, more of a device. I never wear it on the same wrist on which I wear an actual watch... but I do enjoy & get use out of it.

It is kinda cool to be in the pool listening to music and be able to adjust the volume or advance to the next song using the water-friendly Apple Watch while you’re wading around in the Deep End (of an actual pool).

“Could somebody please let me know what the fuck is going on here?? It's like walking into the local Safeway to do some grocery shopping and finding a bunch of ghey midgets cornholing each other in the produce department.” - Conjurer

ocean
Master of Time

Post by ocean » December 25th 2019, 9:08pm

Since I switched to apple products a couple years ago the watch is the only thing I haven’t wanted or needed but I guess the board is trying my hand. Question for those that own one is 40 or 44 mm ? I have an 8 inch wrist.
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Post by Nuvolari » December 25th 2019, 11:28pm

Mine is the 44mm... I think it’s just right. Yeah... I felt the same way, iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro... when I saw a good price on the GPS v4 it was a makes-sense impulse buy. Not, of course, according to my wife...
“Could somebody please let me know what the fuck is going on here?? It's like walking into the local Safeway to do some grocery shopping and finding a bunch of ghey midgets cornholing each other in the produce department.” - Conjurer

conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » December 27th 2019, 10:56pm

Ditto on both the just above posts. I have a flip phone. I don't even know what the number of the fucker is; I wouldn't have it at all if Mrs. C didn't insist I have it.

AFAIC, if somebody important, like, say, Colin Powell, wants my opinion on world peace, he can leave a message on my land line machine and I'll fucking call him back when I'm damned good and ready. I don't want to get texts, I don't want to get emails apart from when I check my laptop.

I don't give a fuck. And, surprisingly, the world will go on. But, that Hermes has a nice strap, though.
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » December 28th 2019, 10:46am

These days, a phone can act as a TV remote. This is a phone remote. By extension, it's a remote for a remote. I'm not lazy enough to need it.
You cannot explain away a wantonly immoral act, because you think that it is connected to some higher purpose.
Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: The Next Generation
bobbee
Master of Time

Post by bobbee » December 28th 2019, 7:04pm

I bought my friend (same age as me) a mint in box Motorola Razr flip phone, as I know he didn't want one of my old smart phones because I asked him. He tried it for a couple of days, then put it back in the box as it is too complicated for him. This guy can do his own electrical stuff, he is great with his carpentry and had his own carpet fitting business.
Scared of phones more complex than a 1970's pocket calculator though...

Smart watches can look really good/cool, but not for me.
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » December 29th 2019, 8:00am

conjurer wrote:
December 27th 2019, 10:56pm
Ditto on both the just above posts. I have a flip phone. I don't even know what the number of the fucker is; I wouldn't have it at all if Mrs. C didn't insist I have it.

AFAIC, if somebody important, like, say, Colin Powell, wants my opinion on world peace, he can leave a message on my land line machine and I'll fucking call him back when I'm damned good and ready. I don't want to get texts, I don't want to get emails apart from when I check my laptop.

I don't give a fuck. And, surprisingly, the world will go on. But, that Hermes has a nice strap, though.
I believe it was the snarky John Dvorak of PC Magazine who opined, back when the "always connected" crowd was ascendant that the little geeky phone holsters should actually be worn about the neck - with a heavy chain.

Man's gotta know his limitations. If I was gifted a smart watch it would only be a matter of time - and probably not much time - before I took an 18 ounce claw hammer to the thing.
conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » December 29th 2019, 9:35am

To extend the discussion with the other ancient dinosaurs on this forum--I don't get the whole Fitbit thing. I got a new one for Mrs. C for Christmas (her request). She informs me that the thing vibrates or rings when it senses that one hasn't moved for a certain period of time. I, for one, don't need a digital device reminding me that I'm a lazy asshole. I already know this.
3Flushes (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » December 30th 2019, 8:26am

They can shove these fucking pieces of shit up their collective industry ass until it comes out of the top of their fucking industry head, and, they can shove their motherfucking phones with them.

#DISCONNECT
Last edited by 3Flushes on December 30th 2019, 9:26am, edited 1 time in total.
Copyright ©️ 2020 3flushes Media.
3Flushes (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » December 30th 2019, 9:25am

artman wrote:
December 25th 2019, 5:36pm
Why don't you buy a stock Apple watch for $500 and a brown strap for $50? That will save you almost a thousand bucks.
Particularly given the strap the wide-eyed public is flocking to the thing to get is a thin-ass, cheapo feeling piece of kakadoodoo. I couldn't be certain it was even full grain for that kind of money. I guess if they made it like they used to make shit the strap alone would be 5 G's.

My dearly departed grandfathers travel bag- bigger than a carry on, smaller than a suitcase, hinged top, dual straps and locking latch- is still in perfect shape, structurally speaking, with a lot of character in the leather from a lot of use. And not a loose stitch. The ol' boy bought the thing to bring back a couple of coats, some shirts and some shoes he bought that there wasn't room in the trunk for with my grandmother. Long story.
Copyright ©️ 2020 3flushes Media.
codguy
ASSHAT

Post by codguy » December 30th 2019, 9:42am

conjurer wrote:
December 27th 2019, 10:56pm
Took me until last January to finally switch from flip to "smart". Apparently 2G service packed up tent and 3G is leaving us as well.

Now that I purchased a 4G phone (iPhone 10R).........the service is changing yet again and it is only a matter of time before my current phone is obsolete.

FWIW- I seldom leave the house with a fucking phone........ to the chagrin of my other half.

Welcome to the watchlords liberal echo chamber

Return to “Digital Watches”