Nerd’s 7 Favorite Mechanical ‘Digital’ Watches

Digital and Smart watches
koimaster (Online)
Administrator/Founder

Nerd’s 7 Favorite Mechanical ‘Digital’ Watches

Post by koimaster » February 28th 2019, 10:34am

A Watch Nerd’s 7 Favorite Mechanical ‘Digital’ Watches – Reprise

by Joshua Munchow

It will come as no surprise to anyone who has read my pieces in the past that I like a good jump hour mechanism. Actually, I love a good jump hour mechanism. There is just something about that instantaneous change driven entirely by mechanical means that fascinates me (see The Jump Hour: A Love Story).

Clocks, watches, and the gears inside them tend to move in very small increments that are all based on the unlocking of an escapement at one end of the gear train. This creates a somewhat slow yet constantly rotating assembly of gears. The visual culmination of that basic premise can be found in an awesomely complicated multi-axis tourbillon rotating constantly in a little window.

But the continuous motion of those gears can sometimes become too familiar, thus losing luster. That is when you want something to surprise you, break up the repetition. The simplest answer, and in my opinion the best one too, is to add a jump hour.

This can make a watch very special. Yet there are some timepieces that use that function to change the visual appeal of a watch, going so far as to add jumping minutes for an entirely new experience.

Sometimes these watches fall into a general category that I really dig called “digital” watches. It is called a digital display when the watch provides the time via a readable left-to-right digit layout. Obviously, the mechanics are all still there, but they tell time using digits instead of hands or indications.

And yet not all “digital” watches require the use of jump hours and minutes; some don’t even use a jump at all yet still read digitally. A good number of this type of watch exists, and once you notice more than a handful of such things you start to find favorites. So today I want to break down a list of my seven (plus change) favorite “digital” watches.

https://quillandpad.com/2019/02/24/a-wa ... s-reprise/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Nerd’s 7 Favorite Mechanical ‘Digital’ Watches

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » February 28th 2019, 5:52pm

Of these, only the Zeitwerk doesn't suck cock. Well, maybe it does, just a little, but certainly not as much as the MB&Fs.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
H.P. Lovecraft

I'd send them all an animated gif of Ron Jeremy sucking his own cock.
Conjurer, of people asking about their Doxas

Return to “Digital Watches”