How many here will own up to having a smart watch?

Digital and Smart watches
koimaster
Founder

How many here will own up to having a smart watch?

Post by koimaster » May 1st 2015, 12:26pm

So, with some here have a bit of disdain for smart watches (G-Shock excluded of course), who has actual experience with one?

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
svaglic (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: How many here will own up to having a smart watch?

Post by svaglic » May 1st 2015, 12:42pm

About 2-3 years ago, my brother got me one for Christmas. It is an Android platform and I have an Iphone, so I have the best excuse for not using it. It's still brand new in the box, I can't remember the name of it. It is quite large on the wrist, you would be aware you are wearing it.
You can have brains or you can have beauty, but you can’t have all three.
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Post by Nuvolari » May 1st 2015, 8:07pm

It just depends on your perspective - and not owning one makes it easier to badger. I did that when the iPhone came out and I loved my Blackberry... But I sure as hell love my iPhone now. I didn't miss what I didn't know.

Right now, I'm doing it again with the "smart" watches... What's the point? My phone is right here, which means I don't need a watch... But I like a watch.

And maybe that's what they are looking for...? Hey dumbass, if you think that Flame Infusion Whatthehell is great, for a little more you can dork out on THIS watch and leave your phone in your man purse.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » May 2nd 2015, 7:53am

foghorn wrote:

This sounds like a hipster problem.

Yup. I saw this on CNN.com yesterday, and it made me laugh pretty hard indeed.
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » May 2nd 2015, 8:02am

Racer-X wrote:

Hilarious. You can't tell me that NONE of the hipster beta-testers at Apple have tattoos?

Apple probably beta-tested 'em on their Chinese manufacturing workers. That had the addition benefit of impact testing when they hit the pavement.
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » May 3rd 2015, 7:48am

Tried my brother-in-law's Apple watch on at his son's 6th birthday party.

He has ditched his Explorer II for it.

Feels well made and is far more readable than I had expected. The strap is quite comfortable and of ingenious design.

The issue with tats is one of contrasting shades as darker skinned peoples are also having the issues.

Not for me but not a bad toy. The daily battery charge would piss me off.
"I believe in a God who doesn't need heavy financing." Irwin M. Fletcher, Fletch Lives, 1989
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » May 3rd 2015, 7:44pm

I work with computers all day long, and now I'm supposed to piss away a month's salary on some new gizmo because the media tells me to?

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm writing resumes on a Commodore 64, and it would be the really dumb employer who says no to my qualifications.

Seriously, I just don't have any interest, but I won't piss in anyone else's cornflakes if they do. My stance on all this stuff remains unchanged: Give me a good auto movement in my actual, bonafide wristwatch and I'll sit in the corner in my old man glory, watching "Barney Miller" reruns on Antenna TV. Fuck the world - I'm slowin' down a little, and it feels pretty good.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
mosc
Senior Member & WIS

Post by mosc » June 1st 2015, 4:45pm

My Apple Watch showed up two days ago. So far the experience is very positive. It's amazing, I can't even walk down the aisle of my local grocery without people asking me about the watch. I expect this to change in a few weeks when more and more of these show up on local wrists. I am not familiar enough with this to write a detailed review, and the scope of doing that would take a tremendous amount of time, but I'm happy to answer questions if people have specific interests.

I can say that just as a time keeping device, this is fantastic. I have watch faces that range from a Mickey Mouse tapping out the seconds with his foot to complications including moonphase, outside temperature, and secondary time zone, and a splendid chronograph. Of course, there are alarms and timers. Text messaging and receiving or placing phone calls is very nice on the watch, especially when it's hard to dig out the iPhone.
Watch collecting is a disastrous trap and I'm stuck. At least I always know what time it is.
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » June 1st 2015, 4:55pm

mosc wrote:My Apple Watch showed up two days ago. So far the experience is very positive. It's amazing, I can't even walk down the aisle of my local grocery without people asking me about the watch. I expect this to change in a few weeks when more and more of these show up on local wrists. I am not familiar enough with this to write a detailed review, and the scope of doing that would take a tremendous amount of time, but I'm happy to answer questions if people have specific interests.

I can say that just as a time keeping device, this is fantastic. I have watch faces that range from a Mickey Mouse tapping out the seconds with his foot to complications including moonphase, outside temperature, and secondary time zone, and a splendid chronograph. Of course, there are alarms and timers. Text messaging and receiving or placing phone calls is very nice on the watch, especially when it's hard to dig out the iPhone.

I looked at and tried out the Moto 360 with bracelet. Not bad for what you can purchase them for on-line which is far less than Best Buy. Unlike a few here, I do not see anything wrong with a smart watch if it is well made, tells time (very important to me) and does what they claim. I look at them with a bit of a jaded eye but no worse than a decent quartz watch.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."

Return to “Digital Watches”