Three New Divers From Oris

Post Reply
User avatar
Darksider
Founder
Posts: 1970
Joined: December 15th 2009, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Three New Divers From Oris

Post by Darksider » May 2nd 2016, 8:31am

Oris has been making watches bearing the designation “waterproof” since 1949, and started offering the Super Diver shortly after the Rolex Submariner (or was it the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms?) originated the genre in 1953. Left in the shadow cast by those two, Oris continued to make solid underwater timekeepers – with Kif anti-shock systems – trusted by professional divers around the world. With summer just around the corner, they've just launched three new dive watches – one heritage update, and two limited editions, proving that half a century later, they are still making strong diving instruments.


First up is the Oris Divers Sixty-Five. Based on a diving watch made by Oris in – you’ve guessed it – 1965, the Sixty-Five made a handsome return last year, when the company introduced this very cool retro-inspired diver. Then came a blue-dial version and a bronze limited edition dedicated to the U.S. Navy’s first African American master diver, Carl Brashear. In 2016, the collection continues to grow with a new model in a style suggestive of early dive watches.


https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/three ... -from-oris
Image

Image
Image

Quotes from the fake naval aviator misterjingles. Not a pilot, or 9/11 survivor.
User avatar
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time
Posts: 20223
Joined: December 18th 2009, 11:00pm
Contact:

Re: Three New Divers From Oris

Post by foghorn » May 2nd 2016, 6:42pm

The bigger version (but why?) version of the first re-issue of the diver 65 is nice,but the integrated strap kills the others for me. And the "blacked out" version is fine if you like an expensive bracelet on your wrist but , as a watch it's pretty illegible except for well lit conditions.
Image
User avatar
bedlam
WIS Divemaster
Posts: 8945
Joined: November 12th 2011, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Fremantle, Australia (GMT +8)
Contact:

Re: Three New Divers From Oris

Post by bedlam » May 2nd 2016, 8:41pm

foghorn wrote:The bigger version (but why?) version of the first re-issue of the diver 65 is nice,but the integrated strap kills the others for me. And the "blacked out" version is fine if you like an expensive bracelet on your wrist but , as a watch it's pretty illegible except for well lit conditions.

I can't fathom these blackout watches. I tried the blackout version of the Oceanaire and it was pointless, as non-functional as one would expect.

Why???
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
Posts: 31862
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Three New Divers From Oris

Post by conjurer » May 2nd 2016, 10:08pm

bedlam wrote:
foghorn wrote:The bigger version (but why?) version of the first re-issue of the diver 65 is nice,but the integrated strap kills the others for me. And the "blacked out" version is fine if you like an expensive bracelet on your wrist but , as a watch it's pretty illegible except for well lit conditions.

I can't fathom these blackout watches. I tried the blackout version of the Oceanaire and it was pointless, as non-functional as one would expect.

Why???


Because they look cool when you're trying to pick up broads.
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
User avatar
TemerityB
ASSHAT
Posts: 17007
Joined: June 12th 2010, 10:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: Three New Divers From Oris

Post by TemerityB » May 3rd 2016, 6:36am

conjurer wrote:
bedlam wrote:
foghorn wrote:The bigger version (but why?) version of the first re-issue of the diver 65 is nice,but the integrated strap kills the others for me. And the "blacked out" version is fine if you like an expensive bracelet on your wrist but , as a watch it's pretty illegible except for well lit conditions.

I can't fathom these blackout watches. I tried the blackout version of the Oceanaire and it was pointless, as non-functional as one would expect.

Why???


Because they look cool when you're trying to pick up broads.


Well, yeah.

I'm an unabashed Oris fan, yet I've never been a huge fan of many of their divers; models like their Pro Diver and some of the Aquis models simply looked too chunky on my girly left wrist. These are a bit more refined; the quality is obviously there, but the 2016 price points turn me into a Tex Avery wolf.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
User avatar
codguy
ASSHAT
Posts: 7365
Joined: June 9th 2011, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Three New Divers From Oris

Post by codguy » May 3rd 2016, 7:18am

The lack of AR coatings have kept me away from the brand, every Oris I've looked at has a glare/washed out dial that I prevents me from a purchase.

Others here won't give a shit but I demand to view a clear dial. And the fact that majority of my wartches have dual AR coatings (Omega, SWI, Damasko, Breitling, others) prevents said glare & me from throwing $ towards a Oris watch.

Shame too because the FOO group in Oz have been more than welcoming of my correspondence and even they acknowledged this fact with me.
.


Image
User avatar
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time
Posts: 8498
Joined: November 25th 2012, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Re: Three New Divers From Oris

Post by 3Flushes » May 4th 2016, 1:27am

codguy wrote:The lack of AR coatings have kept me away from the brand, every Oris I've looked at has a glare/washed out dial that I prevents me from a purchase.

Others here won't give a shit but I demand to view a clear dial. And the fact that majority of my wartches have dual AR coatings (Omega, SWI, Damasko, Breitling, others) prevents said glare & me from throwing $ towards a Oris watch.

Shame too because the FOO group in Oz have been more than welcoming of my correspondence and even they acknowledged this fact with me.


Me also, too.

And it's a very inexpensive process to add AR to the glass (if there is such a thing when adding to the overhead of a watch). I wear glasses which makes things a real pain in the ass, especially with sunglasses, which cost me more than my third car, every two years. My eyes deteriorate enough for me to change my glasses every year, but I just won't. One good year, one a little fuzzy is the price of getting old with no vision coverage in America. (I highly recommend Nikon Rx sunglass lenses; like the optics, they have the best coatings, both sides. Especially for progressive sunglassesShop around for a good deal, or they can cost you as much as your last car did).

Even with all the stuff I add to my clear progressive (why they call them that is because your eyes are progressively turning to shit) Rx lenses, it's still tough to read my watch. I'm good with AR at least on the inside, I pretty much manage to friction off anything on the outside in short order anyway.

Why do somea these guys go the extra buck-and-a half for the nicer crystal and not twenty-nine cents more on a coating? What is truly amazing about the business is how $1.79 in labor and material adds $487 to the cost of the Omega, Breitling, and like that's, final product.***


***Please Note: The prices for glass and coatings, and overhead, and stuff above are made up for exaggeratory purposes, and do not represent the actual cost nor subsequent mark-up of those components and qualities of a good watch glass, as far as we know.
Copyright ©️ 2020 3flushes Media.
Post Reply

Return to “Fortis, Formex and Oris watches”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest