Seiko 5 Sports transitions

koimaster (Online)
Founder

Seiko 5 Sports transitions

Post by koimaster » December 27th 2021, 10:13am

I open this present entry by paraphrasing the introduction to a post I made in June 2015 entitled A Kind of Blue. That post concerned the revival of a Seiko 5-branded 6119-8083 and for reasons that remain a mystery to me, is one of the most popular articles in this blog. In that introduction, I noted that the Seiko 5 sub-brand was conceived originally in 1963 to have 5 key attributes:

Automatic winding
Day/date displayed in a single window
Water resistance
Recessed crown at the 4 position
Durable case and bracelet.

The introduction of the ‘5 Sports’ series five years later in 1968, was designed to bring the advantages of the Seiko 5 to more up-market watches, with, for example, the 5 Sports branding being used in some of the 6139 automatic chronographs (see here and here, for example

https://adventuresinamateurwatchfettlin ... 9-to-1970/

Part 2 of three

Seiko 5 Sports 5126-6010

Let’s get right into it, the introductions having been made in the previous entry. In this, the second in a three part series, we are going to focus our attention on a Seiko 5 Sports 5126-6010 dating from May 1969. This model was one of a number of freshly minted designs that formed part of the second wave of Seiko 5 Sports models that hit the Japanese domestic market at the end of the 1960’s.

https://adventuresinamateurwatchfettlin ... -may-1969/

Seiko 5 Sports 7019-6030

In this, the third and final part of our mini-series on Daini-produced Seiko 5 Sports watches, we turn our attention to the marginally younger of our two examples, a Seiko 7019-6030 from May 1970.

https://adventuresinamateurwatchfettlin ... -may-1970/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Seiko 5 Sports transitions

Post by bbattle » December 27th 2021, 5:21pm

That guy makes it seem so easy to disassemble a watch, replace parts, clean things up and then put it all back together in time for the next bowler to show up at The Ashes.

I'm mature enough to know I'd be wanting to kill somebody for designing such an infuriating piece of machinery and where in the hell did that tiny little bridge-thingie fly off to? I do have access to some really nice optics at work which would help with scraping off minuscule bits of lume. Acquiring the patience for such an operation is another matter. Wow.

Seeing the evolution of the movements is really cool; especially in movements where they had to hit a price point in a very competitive segment of the market.
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Post by Nuvolari » December 27th 2021, 9:04pm

bbattle wrote:
December 27th 2021, 5:21pm
and where in the hell did that tiny little bridge-thingie fly off to?
^^that’s the kind of shit that turns me into a homicidal maniac - looking through the magnifying lens, keeping my breathing ‘just so’ so my hands don’t move even the slightest bit despite the weird manner in which I’m stooped over the watch desk, and then carefully using the tweezers to extract a teeny tiny screw… but don’t hold it too loose, now! You’ll drop it, just like that ‘other one’…. Keep the positive pressure on the tweezers so you’ll have a secure grip on it whe… ppfffzzzzzzzeeeew! [launches the screw into the atmosphere faster than the speed of sight]

Also, wasn’t it “Don Martin” who wrote phonetically the sound effects for Mad Magazine?
Oversteer scares passengers, understeer scares drivers...
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » December 27th 2021, 11:49pm

Nuvolari wrote:
December 27th 2021, 9:04pm
bbattle wrote:
December 27th 2021, 5:21pm
and where in the hell did that tiny little bridge-thingie fly off to?
^^that’s the kind of shit that turns me into a homicidal maniac - looking through the magnifying lens, keeping my breathing ‘just so’ so my hands don’t move even the slightest bit despite the weird manner in which I’m stooped over the watch desk, and then carefully using the tweezers to extract a teeny tiny screw… but don’t hold it too loose, now! You’ll drop it, just like that ‘other one’…. Keep the positive pressure on the tweezers so you’ll have a secure grip on it whe… ppfffzzzzzzzeeeew! [launches the screw into the atmosphere faster than the speed of sight]

Also, wasn’t it “Don Martin” who wrote phonetically the sound effects for Mad Magazine?
It was indeed Don Martin who did this. Interestingly, he got his start with Al Goldstein's rag, Screw magazine. Mr. Martin would draw interesting cartoons with guys with square heads getting laid, and Mr. Goldstein said, "Could you put an interesting sound effect into the comic to mimic guys shooting their loads?" Naturally, Mr. Martin said, "You betchya!" and came up with the phonetic sound effect of "whooooooz-goddamn!"

True story.
3Flushes (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » December 28th 2021, 2:47am

Nuvolari wrote:
December 27th 2021, 9:04pm

Alphabetical list of Don Martin's sound effects cross referenced with the cartoon and issue of Mad in which they appeared:

https://www.madcoversite.com/dmd-alphabetical.html
^^^Copyright ©️ 2022 3flushes Media.^^^

Return to “Seiko”