The true Seiko Pogue

koimaster
Founder

The true Seiko Pogue

Post by koimaster » May 4th 2021, 9:48pm

A few years ago it was discovered that the first automatic chronograph in space was a Seiko 6139 worn by Colonel William Reid Pogue during the Skylab 4 mission from November 16, 1973, to February 8, 1974. This was identified by watch enthusiast David Bruno who noted mention of a Seiko watch in a transcript from the Colonel. David then contacted Col. Pogue and received confirmation from him that the watch in question was a yellow dialed 6139.

Col. Pogue wore the watch for many years and in October 2008 the watch was auctioned to raise funds for non-profit Astronaut Scholarship Foundation. For the sale the watch was provided with the original layaway receipt, instruction manual and a letter from the Col. confirming the history of the watch.

The original auction information can be seen on the Heritage Auctions site at the following link - William Pogue's Seiko 6139 Watch Flown on Board the Skylab | Lot #41138 | Heritage Auctions

https://www.plus9time.com/blog/2017/12/ ... -6139-6005

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
Masshole (Online)
Facebook ID: 0

Re: The true Seiko Pogue

Post by Masshole » May 5th 2021, 7:19am

I’ve been staring at these for a while now. Problem for me is I didn’t realize the homework and research that’s involved in buying a vintage watch. I figured I see one I like, and I’ll take it. Luckily for me a bunch of the members here have been walking me through the process.

There’s a bunch of these on chrono24. I love watches that are worn in the movies. Ed Harris wears the dark blue face seiko in Apollo 13. I fell in love with it when I saw it.

I’ve sort of given up for now because the same watch, with just about the same condition, is ranging from 550 all the way up to over 2 grand. So I’m guessing that’s on the individual seller.

I’ve decided my first real vintage watch will come from one of the members here in the for sale page. At least that way I’ll know it’s the real deal

Now if I could just get my hands on that uh hem...Hamilton that smellody posted.
conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » May 5th 2021, 10:44am

codguy wrote:
May 5th 2021, 10:37am
Masshole wrote:
May 5th 2021, 7:19am
I love watches that are worn in the movies.
Have you looked into watches worn by stars Byron, Spears, North, Leslie and the like?

Conjurer could probably help you authenticate them if you ask him nicely.
Peter North is a big WIS. He owns plenty of IWCs, a couple JLCs, and at one point even a Patek, but he lost that whilst fisting Riley Reed. He's also a Canadian, but I don't hold that against him. Up in the Great White (!) North, they call him the Beer Can, I suppose from his almost absurdly violent ejaculations.
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » May 5th 2021, 10:56am

Some are redials or worse. Some are later versions of the original model which had the dial in the bottom photo.

Photo above borrowed from the web of educational reasons.

Original is below.

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/watches/a ... hronograph

https://www.esquire.com/uk/watches/a338 ... ronograph/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."

Return to “Seiko”