Did I just find a Captain Willard in a junk box

3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Did I just find a Captain Willard in a junk box

Post by 3Flushes » April 24th 2021, 1:47pm

WOW! Now that's a cool watch. Another classic heritage joins the collection. What an amazing freakin' discovery. So cool your dad had the instincts to save stuff like that.

Have fun going through the rest of the 'junk.' Who knows what the hell else you could find that your father thought was junk (or was junk at the time) that has appreciated into valuable collectibles.

I'd check the signature on every painting, the maker's mark on every piece of glass, piece of.... uhh -WTF am I talking about? You sure as hell don't need and prospecting tips from me!

He must be very jazzed that you're a chip off the 'ol block.
^^^Copyright ©️ 2020 3flushes Media.^^^
kevco
Master of Time

Post by kevco » April 26th 2021, 11:28am

Your watch was most likely produced in May of 1968 or 1978. It is often difficult to determine when Seiko stopped making a particular movement. You can also use the style of the watch and any known history of ownership as clues to narrow down the decade.
From a Seiko Date Finder site.
Dynam0humm

Post by Dynam0humm » April 27th 2021, 7:11pm

Greetings all, first post noob here who's just registered cos I was curious to see the pictures after Bobbee posted a link on TZUK.

First of all, it's not a 'Williard' as that's the later 8110/9 with the asymmetric case that was in the film, but these 8009's (and 8000's - same watch just produced for a different market) are otherwise pretty much the same with only small differences such as Resist or Proof on the dial and/or case back, a hacking 6105B movement on the last 8000's before they moved to 8110, and different length seconds hands.

This one stands out for me because the lume on the dial and insert is consistent with what you find on the rather desirable Dani variants (vs the majority made at the Suwa factory which turn green over time) and there's some degradation which suggests it's original. The hands aren't original as the minute hand should be wider and the lume on the hour hand longer, but you can find these hands on other Seikos so I'd say they're service hands including the seconds hand.

I'd be looking at sourcing the correct hands and getting them relumed to match the dial along with a movement service and new crystal. Spencer Klein is the man for this and undoubtedly the best in the US when it comes to old Seiko's. He also supplies the best repro crystals for these and can advise on the correct type that was originally fitted and might even be able to help sourcing the correct hands, the only problem being that you'll wait over a year before you see it again. He's not cheap either but it's a sign of how good he is and I reckon this watch is well worth it.
svaglic
Master of Time

Post by svaglic » April 27th 2021, 7:34pm

I sent Spencer an email with pictures. I haven’t heard back from him yet, but I asked to get on the list once he starts taking watches in again. There is a year wait right now, so he isn’t taking watches for now. Then I will have another year wait. I’m ok with that, I want it done right.
Someone said the crown is wrong. It is the arrow with the lock word. I figure it might have gone into service and had the crown and hands replaced.
koimaster (Online)
Founder

Post by koimaster » April 27th 2021, 9:15pm

Dynam0humm wrote:
April 27th 2021, 7:11pm
Greetings all, first post noob here who's just registered cos I was curious to see the pictures after Bobbee posted a link on TZUK.

First of all, it's not a 'Williard' as that's the later 8110/9 with the asymmetric case that was in the film, but these 8009's (and 8000's - same watch just produced for a different market) are otherwise pretty much the same with only small differences such as Resist or Proof on the dial and/or case back, a hacking 6105B movement on the last 8000's before they moved to 8110, and different length seconds hands.

This one stands out for me because the lume on the dial and insert is consistent with what you find on the rather desirable Dani variants (vs the majority made at the Suwa factory which turn green over time) and there's some degradation which suggests it's original. The hands aren't original as the minute hand should be wider and the lume on the hour hand longer, but you can find these hands on other Seikos so I'd say they're service hands including the seconds hand.

I'd be looking at sourcing the correct hands and getting them relumed to match the dial along with a movement service and new crystal. Spencer Klein is the man for this and undoubtedly the best in the US when it comes to old Seiko's. He also supplies the best repro crystals for these and can advise on the correct type that was originally fitted and might even be able to help sourcing the correct hands, the only problem being that you'll wait over a year before you see it again. He's not cheap either but it's a sign of how good he is and I reckon this watch is well worth it.
Thanks for the input and welcome to the forum. Have seen your posts at wus and tz-uk over the years.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."

Return to “Seiko”