Did I just find a Captain Willard in a junk box

User avatar
svaglic
Master of Time
Posts: 5155
Joined: November 30th 2010, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: California
Contact:

Did I just find a Captain Willard in a junk box

Post by svaglic » April 23rd 2021, 3:14pm

5DB621F5-F29D-4763-ACDD-5DB7B3678304.jpeg
7CA547FA-8D38-416C-BE3F-02022E5CCE59.jpeg
C6277F70-ADB3-4818-AE7E-E3B46218FDD0.jpeg
My dad was a huge auction guy, we had boxes of stuff everywhere. Both at my place, my brothers place and at my parents place.
I was looking for something in the outbuilding today and found a box of small junk items. I found this, it looks like it is from 1985, so it isn’t the expensive one from the Vietnam war that everyone wants, but still pretty cool.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you or someone you know has been butt hurt over the lies Watchlords has exposed, you may be entitled to compensation. Please call 1-888-who-gives-a-fu** operators are standing by.
User avatar
svaglic
Master of Time
Posts: 5155
Joined: November 30th 2010, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Did I just find a Captain Willard in a junk box

Post by svaglic » April 23rd 2021, 3:23pm

Recliner can probably tell me everything I need to know about this.
If you or someone you know has been butt hurt over the lies Watchlords has exposed, you may be entitled to compensation. Please call 1-888-who-gives-a-fu** operators are standing by.
User avatar
jason_recliner
ASSHAT
Posts: 8157
Joined: September 17th 2011, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Did I just find a Captain Willard in a junk box

Post by jason_recliner » April 23rd 2021, 4:09pm

What the! That doesn't mean 1985. They didn't make these in 1985. I think it means 5th month of 1968 or something. It's been a while.

Assuming your father was not a pioneer of the frankenwatch industry that's the real deal. I've never seen Seiko lume age to that colour.

Great find!
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
User avatar
jason_recliner
ASSHAT
Posts: 8157
Joined: September 17th 2011, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Did I just find a Captain Willard in a junk box

Post by jason_recliner » April 23rd 2021, 4:13pm

Demand for these as you know has gone through the roof, yours is all original, unmolested, looks to be in good condition, and I think the unusual lume patina will appeal to collectors.

It's not a bad watch per se but it's a bit old, a bit rough, and isn't even Swiss. I could give you, say AU$300 (Conjurer is handy with the conversions) if you just want somebody to take it off your hands.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
User avatar
svaglic
Master of Time
Posts: 5155
Joined: November 30th 2010, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Did I just find a Captain Willard in a junk box

Post by svaglic » April 23rd 2021, 4:14pm

jason_recliner wrote:
April 23rd 2021, 4:09pm
What the! That doesn't mean 1985. They didn't make these in 1985. I think it means 5th month of 1968 or something. It's been a while.

Assuming your father was not a pioneer of the frankenwatch industry that's the real deal. I've never seen Seiko lume age to that colour.

Great find!
Oh shit. I’m thinking he got it at an auction and tossed it in the cigar box. That outbuilding I was in has mostly his auction stuff he thought was junk. My dad knew nothing about watches, fixing them or mods. Unless the the place he bought it at had someone who did mods, but I doubt it. Small farming podunk mid west towns around here.
If you or someone you know has been butt hurt over the lies Watchlords has exposed, you may be entitled to compensation. Please call 1-888-who-gives-a-fu** operators are standing by.
User avatar
jason_recliner
ASSHAT
Posts: 8157
Joined: September 17th 2011, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Did I just find a Captain Willard in a junk box

Post by jason_recliner » April 23rd 2021, 4:20pm

Possibly the hands have been replaced, and /or somebody at some stage has relumed the dial and bezel pip. Hard to say without a really close look. But that wouldn't detract much from the watch.

Does it run? The 6105 is basic but it's a good movement. No plastic.
Last edited by jason_recliner on April 23rd 2021, 4:39pm, edited 1 time in total.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS
Posts: 1425
Joined: July 11th 2019, 2:51pm
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Re: Did I just find a Captain Willard in a junk box

Post by bbattle » April 23rd 2021, 4:50pm

Congrats on the find!

My dad got a Seiko dive watch in Hong Kong when he was in Vietnam 1970-1972. As a kid, I loved to wind it for him. He also had a gold pocket watch from an uncle that worked the railroads. I hope my sister has that and not the thieving nurses that were supposed to take care of him.
User avatar
koimaster
Founder
Posts: 44061
Joined: December 16th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: Oregon, Thanks for visiting! Now go back home!
Contact:

Re: Did I just find a Captain Willard in a junk box

Post by koimaster » April 23rd 2021, 4:51pm

Image

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
User avatar
svaglic
Master of Time
Posts: 5155
Joined: November 30th 2010, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Did I just find a Captain Willard in a junk box

Post by svaglic » April 23rd 2021, 4:57pm

Someone on the Wrist Sushi forum said it’s a 6105 so it isn’t a Willard. I’m sorry, I looked up the number and Google is full of ones like mine that call it a Willard, I guess that’s wrong though.
I apologize for calling it a Willard. I guess I’ll just call it an old Seiko.
If you or someone you know has been butt hurt over the lies Watchlords has exposed, you may be entitled to compensation. Please call 1-888-who-gives-a-fu** operators are standing by.
User avatar
jason_recliner
ASSHAT
Posts: 8157
Joined: September 17th 2011, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Did I just find a Captain Willard in a junk box

Post by jason_recliner » April 23rd 2021, 5:07pm

Yeah ok the 'Willard' (8110) has the asymmetric case. It's more unique and distinctive. But the locking - as opposed to screw down - crown doesn't age well and is susceptible to wear. Maybe the 8110 is more collectible but it's starting to become a museum piece. The 8009 is a vintage Seiko diver you can wear and enjoy.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
User avatar
conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time
Posts: 32839
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Did I just find a Captain Willard in a junk box

Post by conjurer » April 23rd 2021, 9:47pm

jason_recliner wrote:
April 23rd 2021, 4:13pm
Demand for these as you know has gone through the roof, yours is all original, unmolested, looks to be in good condition, and I think the unusual lume patina will appeal to collectors.

It's not a bad watch per se but it's a bit old, a bit rough, and isn't even Swiss. I could give you, say AU$300 (Conjurer is handy with the conversions) if you just want somebody to take it off your hands.
AU$300 is about 37 cents 'Merican.

That's a cool watch, Svaggie. Like the Reclaimer sez, I'd get it cleaned and running, and wear it with pride. Who gives a fuck if it isn't a Willard? What the fuck do rats know about watches, anyway?

Just don't put it on a NATO. Fuck that shit.
User avatar
koimaster
Founder
Posts: 44061
Joined: December 16th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: Oregon, Thanks for visiting! Now go back home!
Contact:

Re: Did I just find a Captain Willard in a junk box

Post by koimaster » April 23rd 2021, 11:01pm

svaglic wrote:
April 23rd 2021, 4:57pm
Someone on the Wrist Sushi forum said it’s a 6105 so it isn’t a Willard. I’m sorry, I looked up the number and Google is full of ones like mine that call it a Willard, I guess that’s wrong though.
I apologize for calling it a Willard. I guess I’ll just call it an old Seiko.
6105-8110 Is a willard

Caliber
Movement Automatic
Movement/Caliber 6105B
Number of jewels 17


Correct markings, correct dial, caseback and movement.


As to wrist sushi, I would the Seiko forum.
Image

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
User avatar
svaglic
Master of Time
Posts: 5155
Joined: November 30th 2010, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Did I just find a Captain Willard in a junk box

Post by svaglic » April 24th 2021, 4:02am

koimaster wrote:
April 23rd 2021, 11:01pm
svaglic wrote:
April 23rd 2021, 4:57pm
Someone on the Wrist Sushi forum said it’s a 6105 so it isn’t a Willard. I’m sorry, I looked up the number and Google is full of ones like mine that call it a Willard, I guess that’s wrong though.
I apologize for calling it a Willard. I guess I’ll just call it an old Seiko.
6105-8110 Is a willard

Caliber
Movement Automatic
Movement/Caliber 6105B
Number of jewels 17


Correct markings, correct dial, caseback and movement.


As to wrist sushi, I would the Seiko forum.
I’m not 8110 though, I’m 8009. When I look up 6105-8009 on Google, there are pages of it being called a Willard.
If you or someone you know has been butt hurt over the lies Watchlords has exposed, you may be entitled to compensation. Please call 1-888-who-gives-a-fu** operators are standing by.
User avatar
DoctorIvey
Senior Member & WIS
Posts: 1185
Joined: May 19th 2011, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Did I just find a Captain Willard in a junk box

Post by DoctorIvey » April 24th 2021, 5:34am

That's a terrific watch. What strikes me is the ridiculous amount of value society places on Hollywood, especially when compared to literature.
I saw this movie when it came out (I had to, ironically for an English class) and it was ruined for me by Martin Sheen's previous (creepily awesome) performance in The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane. I kept thinking of him as Frank Hallet. Sheen (born Ramon Estevez) BTW named himself after the Bishop Fulton Sheen.
User avatar
svaglic
Master of Time
Posts: 5155
Joined: November 30th 2010, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Did I just find a Captain Willard in a junk box

Post by svaglic » April 24th 2021, 6:10am

codguy wrote:
April 24th 2021, 6:06am
jason_recliner wrote:
April 23rd 2021, 4:40pm
If it were mine, I'd get the movement serviced, replace the gaskets and polish the crystal.
Yep same here !
Yeah, I’m looking for someone to send it to. I definitely want to keep it as much like it is with no new parts. The bezel has some scratches, but not horrendous, the dial is actually very clean, hard to tell under the scratched crystal.
If you or someone you know has been butt hurt over the lies Watchlords has exposed, you may be entitled to compensation. Please call 1-888-who-gives-a-fu** operators are standing by.
User avatar
DoctorIvey
Senior Member & WIS
Posts: 1185
Joined: May 19th 2011, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Did I just find a Captain Willard in a junk box

Post by DoctorIvey » April 24th 2021, 6:19am

If you can recommend somebody please post it. My own father spent over three years in Vietnam as a first sergeant in the USMC infantry and I have a Citizen and a Seiko of his from the that era that I would like to have serviced, just because they have sentimental value.(Plus, you never know. Ashton Kutcher may wear one in a Hollywood blockbuster and the cost could go through the roof.)
User avatar
svaglic
Master of Time
Posts: 5155
Joined: November 30th 2010, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Did I just find a Captain Willard in a junk box

Post by svaglic » April 24th 2021, 6:26am

DoctorIvey wrote:
April 24th 2021, 6:19am
If you can recommend somebody please post it. My own father spent over three years in Vietnam as a first sergeant in the USMC infantry and I have a Citizen and a Seiko of his from the that era that I would like to have serviced, just because they have sentimental value.(Plus, you never know. Ashton Kutcher may wear one in a Hollywood blockbuster and the cost could go through the roof.)
I got a good recommendation for a couple of people in Australia, but I’d rather keep it in the USA. The shipping and insurance would probably cost more then the service. I’m still looking.
If you or someone you know has been butt hurt over the lies Watchlords has exposed, you may be entitled to compensation. Please call 1-888-who-gives-a-fu** operators are standing by.
Post Reply

Return to “Seiko”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest