HANDS-ON with Seiko’s rare Izul

koimaster
Founder

HANDS-ON with Seiko’s rare Izul

Post by koimaster » December 12th 2020, 5:48pm

Sometimes it feels as though the world of high-end Seikos is a niche ‘connoisseurs’ club where the assumption is that, by and large, the average watch enthusiast (let alone the average punter) has no idea of the existence of these watches. The fact that some of them (especially the Grand Seikos) are quite unassuming adds to this almost clubby feeling. Their scarcity in many worldwide markets (not to mention the ‘Japan only’ models that are difficult to find out about, let alone obtain) adds another layer to their aura.

One of these Seiko lines, about which I’ve written before, is the Spring Drive. Within the Spring Drive line there was, for a brief two years between 2007 and 2009, a series of models called Izul, the only known Spring Drives that used the automatic Calibre 5R85 (49 jewels) sans GMT function, with a power reserve of 72 hours.

https://horologium.com.au/2012/10/01/ha ... rare-izul/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
biglove
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Re: HANDS-ON with Seiko’s rare Izul

Post by biglove » December 13th 2020, 12:45pm

The wild and weird world of Seiko. Always something in the works with those guys.

Wish there was a source that included every model Seiko has made for every market, ever. Would imagine it would take a lifetime of work to assemble all those references with details and photos. Likely an impossible task without the cooperation of Seiko itself.
My best friend from college shared his secret to his huge financial success, "I fell out of the right vagina."

"We should just sanction stupidity as our national pastime and be done with it."-TemerityB, WL Asshat

Return to “Seiko”