King Seiko 140th Anniversary re-issue

koimaster
Founder

King Seiko 140th Anniversary re-issue

Post by koimaster » December 9th 2020, 1:59pm

Back in the early 1960s, it became apparent to the Swiss watchmakers that there was this force of nature out in the east that was aspiring create a line of watches that would be of a level of elegance and precision above the rest. We’re, of course, speaking of, the one and only, Seiko.

So audacious was Seiko’s aspiration, that they were printing the words, “chronometer” on their dials in reference to its watches’ excellent accuracy. The Swiss, however, did not take too well to this. European Chronometer Official Association, as a matter of fact, reached out to Seiko in this regard insisting that Seiko remove the word from its King Seiko watches manufactured at the Daini factory and its Grand Seiko watches made in the Suwa factory.

Seiko’s response to this will forever be the stuff of legends. Rather than a note in return, or something to that effect, Seiko took it upon itself to send several mechanical wristwatch movements to the 1964 Neuchâtel Observatory trials, which were at the time the most demanding chronometric competition in the world. The Trials required that movements should not deviate more than +/− 0.75 seconds a day with +/− 0.20 seconds for temperature variations. Movements were submitted to relentless scrutiny for 45 days straight.

https://www.revolution.watch/introducin ... seiko-ksk/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
biglove
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Re: King Seiko 140th Anniversary re-issue

Post by biglove » December 9th 2020, 3:14pm

Do I like it, yes. Would I pay the asking price, hell no.
My best friend from college shared his secret to his huge financial success, "I fell out of the right vagina."

"We should just sanction stupidity as our national pastime and be done with it."-TemerityB, WL Asshat
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » December 9th 2020, 9:08pm

One direction I hate to see Seiko going is so many damned LEs. FFS, make a great watch and make shit tons of them.
My best friend from college shared his secret to his huge financial success, "I fell out of the right vagina."

"We should just sanction stupidity as our national pastime and be done with it."-TemerityB, WL Asshat
SynMike
Founding Member

Post by SynMike » December 12th 2020, 8:26pm

I won't be buying any limited editions, even if some of them are pretty appealing. To each his own: I'm happy to let others compete to buy the rare models at full price. Seiko and dealers make higher profits on these, which helps keep prices attainable on the normal editions.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and you'll have his shoes.

Return to “Seiko”