like a Rolex "Hulk" on steroids

koimaster
Founder

like a Rolex "Hulk" on steroids

Post by koimaster » July 26th 2020, 10:04pm

The first time I held the Seiko Prospex SNR045J in my hands, I laughed, turned to my left, and said to Deputy Editor Nick Kenyon, “What on earth is this?” To describe the limited edition dive watch as evocative is more than an understatement – it conjures up many, many thoughts in my mind, scrambles them, and leaves me feeling very confused, for a number of reasons.

https://timeandtidewatches.com/seiko-pr ... rice-2020/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: like a Rolex "Hulk" on steroids

Post by conjurer » July 27th 2020, 10:45pm

bedlam wrote:
July 27th 2020, 8:51pm
It's way more like an MM300 in green than it is a Submariner.

Rolex appears to be the only sun some people's watch thinking orbits around.
A thing that Has Never Happened in the History of the World: The words, "Oh, is that a Seiko Spring Drive? Let me get my panties knickers off ASAP so you can get your turgid penis into my vagina!"

Is this not why we wear men's jewelry?
codguy
ASSHAT

Post by codguy » July 28th 2020, 7:48am

conjurer wrote:
July 27th 2020, 10:45pm
A thing that Has Never Happened in the History of the World: The words, "Oh, is that a Seiko Spring Drive?
(CECIL)

Discussion at a roadside tavern.............
A Harley-Davidson rider parks his motorcycle and walks inside;

biker billy- "is that your Harley out there?"
HD rider- "yes"

biker billy- "I own the Kawasaki next to it"
HD rider- (ignores the guy)

biker billy- "I was going to buy a Harley but purchased that one instead"
HD rider- (orders a beer)

biker billy- "my Kawasaki is also a aircooled V-Twin and was thousands cheaper in cost"
biker billy- "it actually has a bigger engine and is ultra reliable so I won't have to worry about oil leaks"
biker billy- "and as a matter of fact, it has the same crankshaft setup like yours so it even sounds like a Harley-Davidson"

HD rider- "why I bet people even ask you if your bike is a Harley-Davidson huh?"

biker billy- "oh ya, get asked that all the time"

HD rider- "that's funny, no one has ever asked me if mine was a Kawasaki

Welcome to the watchlords liberal echo chamber

bedlam
WIS Divemaster
Facebook ID: 0

Post by bedlam » July 28th 2020, 5:29pm

conjurer wrote:
I wear a watch cos its useful. Usually a Seiko as it works reliably and is good value.

Don't really do any bling and my ego doesn't need stroking. Nobody ever spent Rolex money to get good timekeeping. Nobody ever spent Harley money because they needed a reliable motorcycle. Those things are for self-image in front of impressionable others.
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » July 28th 2020, 6:09pm

bedlam wrote:
July 28th 2020, 5:29pm
Nobody ever spent Rolex money to get good timekeeping...Those things are for self-image in front of impressionable others.
Oh, really? How about someone who simply wants a great product that will last a lifetime?

C'mon man, tell me why I like the brand.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
iwasbanned
Master of Time

Post by iwasbanned » July 28th 2020, 6:14pm

bedlam wrote:

I wear a watch cos its useful. Usually a Seiko cos it works reliably and is good value.

Don't really do any bling and my ego doesn't need stroking. Nobody ever spent Rolex money to get good timekeeping. Nobody ever spent Harley money because they needed reliable motorcycle transport. Those things are for self-image in front of impressionable others.
C'mon Carl, what a load of BS. You wear Seiko for the exact reason you condemn Rolex and Harley owners. Are you saying Rolex doesn't get you good timekeeping? Are you saying Harley can't be reliable motorcycle transport? Is Seiko the only watch that is useful and reliable? If it all boils down to utility why own more than one watch? It's jewelry like it or not. And Seiko is part of who you are Carl. You are the Rolex hating Seiko lover. Nothing wrong with that image.

If you want a true arbiter of watches, it's me. I somehow have managed to own both Seiko and Rolex. They can coexist. One does not make the other pointless. They can both make great watches and they can both make mistakes. I can't think of any on Rolex's part, but I'm sure they have done something wrong and as for Seiko, well
FB_IMG_1564057664196.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » July 28th 2020, 6:48pm

bedlam wrote:
conjurer wrote:
I wear a watch cos its useful. Usually a Seiko as it works reliably and is good value.

Don't really do any bling and my ego doesn't need stroking. Nobody ever spent Rolex money to get good timekeeping. Nobody ever spent Harley money because they needed a reliable motorcycle. Those things are for self-image in front of impressionable others.
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Post by bedlam » July 28th 2020, 6:49pm

TemerityB wrote:
July 28th 2020, 6:09pm
bedlam wrote:
Nobody ever spent Rolex money to get good timekeeping...Those things are for self-image in front of impressionable others.
Oh, really? How about someone who simply wants a great product that will last a lifetime?

It wasn't intended to be personal.

Many decent watches that are far cheaper will easily last a lifetime, look good, and run accurately. So why would people pay the Rolex premium for something that doesn't perform any better? Sometimes there could be a very specific look that a person connects to which happens to be a Rolex but I think people are buying marketing to a fair degree.

Happy to be schooled on how this isn't the case.
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Post by bedlam » July 28th 2020, 6:54pm

iwasbanned wrote:
July 28th 2020, 6:14pm
bedlam wrote:

I wear a watch cos its useful. Usually a Seiko cos it works reliably and is good value.

Don't really do any bling and my ego doesn't need stroking. Nobody ever spent Rolex money to get good timekeeping. Nobody ever spent Harley money because they needed reliable motorcycle transport. Those things are for self-image in front of impressionable others.
Are you saying Rolex doesn't get you good timekeeping?
No. They are good timekeepers, but not the best if timekeeping is your metric for purchasing.
Are you saying Harley can't be reliable motorcycle transport?
Nice phrasing. Harley's have pretty average reliability ratings by industry standards, though you might snag a reliable one.

Love the blind guy meme :-)
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Post by bedlam » July 28th 2020, 7:09pm

conjurer wrote:
July 28th 2020, 6:48pm
bedlam wrote:
conjurer wrote:

Yup, Castro's judgement failed him on several things :-)
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » July 28th 2020, 7:42pm

bedlam wrote:
July 28th 2020, 6:49pm
TemerityB wrote:
July 28th 2020, 6:09pm
bedlam wrote:

It wasn't intended to be personal.

Many decent watches that are far cheaper will easily last a lifetime, look good, and run accurately. So why would people pay the Rolex premium for something that doesn't perform any better? Sometimes there could be a very specific look that a person connects to which happens to be a Rolex but I think people are buying marketing to a fair degree.

Happy to be schooled on how this isn't the case.
You are fair to use a price-for-value way of looking at watches. But why piss in other people's corn flakes to make your point? We have at least four Rolex owners here. So we're all trying to score pussy or walk down 5th Avenue with our wrists in the air. C'mon, man.

Will you meet someone who is loaded and flaunts his stuff? Welcome to the world of capitalism. That's just the way some people act, particularly here in the good ol' USA, where we have a damnable fool ratio that's certainly not anything to be proud of. If you've been bitten by some jagoff from 'Merica who was all hat, no cattle, well, I hear ya.

However, there are some of us out here who could give a rat's ass about what others think of their watch or their collections. I've been at this hobby for 17 years now, and the only watch that EVER has gotten noticed on my wrist was - wait for it - a freakin' Stuhrling Original cheapie some guy was drooling over while I was standing in line in a freakin' Burger King. But it is so rare to find anyone who ever even says "nice watch" to someone, even here in NYC.

But here's my reasoning for coveting and buying Rolex: First off, I like the styling. The traditional, basic Rolex styling. Sure, they can welp out a bunch overly blinged, garish stuff, but guess what? That's the only stuff that's laying in the stores right now before the September 1 restock. But a simple Datejust or Oyster Perpetual are just MY style - simple, versatile, capable of being worn with any clothing, waterproof (yes, even the lowest end Rolex is rated at, at least, 330 feet, as all their crowns screw down).

They're also certified chronometers, and every single one of them (excepting the Cellini line perhaps) rated at 330 feet. What was that about nobody wanting a Rolex for accurate time? Mine is running at minus one second a day. Their bracelets are so comfortable you don't even feel like you're wearing a watch - I always use the Taylor acoustic guitar comparison; play a Taylor, and every other guitar just doesn't feel right afterward. The quality difference is off the scale. The amazingly scratch-proof bracelets are a big selling point with me; Rolex has an entire building at its HQ dedicated just to their steel works. Big selling point, at least for me. No press-metal clasps here, either. I mean, it's not even close to any other brand I've ever been able to try on. Give me an Omega Seamaster bracelet or virtually any Rolex bracelet and I'd be thrilled.

Then there's the dial work - much of which is done by hand, so I really don't wanna hear that "machine made" bromide. I did not even know, until recently, that the hour markers on all stainless steel Rolex models are actual 18 karat white gold. Look at them through a loupe, and see the difference. The script, the hands, the smooth sweep of the second hand ... I mean, if you're into watches, what's not to like?

So I have a couple of Rolex, one old, one new. Here's a comforting little tidbit, at least for me: I'm guessing I'm much older than you. Right now, stainless steel Rolex are so scarce that gray market sites are getting higher than list price for unworn models. These watches simply don't depreciate, not all that much; I'd wager than when I die, if it's before my wife, she'll be able to get back what I've paid for the new watch. I think that's value by any standard. Yeah, I know a Rolex is expensive - but I worked by ass off and saved and purchased what I think it an exceptional watch. Not a good watch, not a nice one - an exceptional one.

Everyone has what they like. But I'll tell ya what - I think the Seiko SKX series was pure crap, shoddily assembled dive watches that even their most ardent fans used to apologize for. But did I ever, even once, invade a thread and bring that up? No way. Others like what they like.

So, please, don't tell me I'm "buying marketing," swayed by magazine ads, etc. Rolex is an exceptional product - the rest of the free world seems to have figured that out. If you're going to use price points for your reason for damning something that's actually a good product, that's your perogative.

But if you're gonna week after week find some reason to keep trying to slap the faces of myself and the other guys who happen to like Rolex, well, I'll find the block button - that's my perogative.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » July 28th 2020, 8:42pm

bedlam wrote:
July 28th 2020, 8:35pm
I had forgotten how intense it gets if you poke the Rolex bear.
So basically, you're as childish as your take on good watches.

Nice knowin' ya.
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Post by bedlam » July 28th 2020, 9:11pm

TemerityB wrote:
July 28th 2020, 7:42pm
You are fair to use a price-for-value way of looking at watches. But why piss in other people's corn flakes to make your point? We have at least four Rolex owners here. So we're all trying to score pussy or walk down 5th Avenue with our wrists in the air. C'mon, man.
Getting pussy was conjurer and bigloves point. Not really mine.
Will you meet someone who is loaded and flaunts his stuff? Welcome to the world of capitalism. That's just the way some people act, particularly here in the good ol' USA, where we have a damnable fool ratio that's certainly not anything to be proud of. If you've been bitten by some jagoff from 'Merica who was all hat, no cattle, well, I hear ya.
Not actually met said jagoff, so not been bitten. I think we get less of that in Oz TBH. If I met said jagoff I'd likely find it amusing more than be concerned.
However, there are some of us out here who could give a rat's ass about what others think of their watch or their collections.
Except where I'm involved.
I've been at this hobby for 17 years now, and the only watch that EVER has gotten noticed on my wrist was - wait for it - a freakin' Stuhrling Original cheapie some guy was drooling over while I was standing in line in a freakin' Burger King. But it is so rare to find anyone who ever even says "nice watch" to someone, even here in NYC.
Yeah, it's amazing how much some WIS want to be noticed via their watch. The only time it ever happened to me I was wearing my GS and the guy was a WIS. So doesn't really count.
But here's my reasoning for coveting and buying Rolex: First off, I like the styling. The traditional, basic Rolex styling. Sure, they can welp out a bunch overly blinged, garish stuff, but guess what? That's the only stuff that's laying in the stores right now before the September 1 restock. But a simple Datejust or Oyster Perpetual are just MY style - simple, versatile, capable of being worn with any clothing, waterproof (yes, even the lowest end Rolex is rated at, at least, 330 feet, as all their crowns screw down).
Sometimes a watch/style just really fits us. I fully supported this in my previous comment.
They're also certified chronometers, and every single one of them (excepting the Cellini line perhaps) rated at 330 feet. What was that about nobody wanting a Rolex for accurate time? Mine is running at minus one second a day.
I said they are good timekeepers, just not the best available if timekeeping was your key metric.
Their bracelets are so comfortable you don't even feel like you're wearing a watch - I always use the Taylor acoustic guitar comparison; play a Taylor, and every other guitar just doesn't feel right afterward. The quality difference is off the scale. The amazingly scratch-proof bracelets are a big selling point with me; Rolex has an entire building at its HQ dedicated just to their steel works. Big selling point, at least for me. No press-metal clasps here, either. I mean, it's not even close to any other brand I've ever been able to try on. Give me an Omega Seamaster bracelet or virtually any Rolex bracelet and I'd be thrilled.
The worksmanship is great. Just not equal to the price they are asking. Certainly, the bracelets are outstanding now but historically that was not true for a long time. The Rolex rattle is legend.
Then there's the dial work - much of which is done by hand, so I really don't wanna hear that "machine made" bromide. I did not even know, until recently, that the hour markers on all stainless steel Rolex models are actual 18 karat white gold. Look at them through a loupe, and see the difference. The script, the hands, the smooth sweep of the second hand ... I mean, if you're into watches, what's not to like?
Yup, solid worksmanship, just overpriced. The hand sweep looks pretty chonky to me...but then I'm wearing a spring drive.
So I have a couple of Rolex, one old, one new. Here's a comforting little tidbit, at least for me: I'm guessing I'm much older than you. Right now, stainless steel Rolex are so scarce that gray market sites are getting higher than list price for unworn models. These watches simply don't depreciate, not all that much; I'd wager than when I die, if it's before my wife, she'll be able to get back what I've paid for the new watch. I think that's value by any standard. Yeah, I know a Rolex is expensive - but I worked by ass off and saved and purchased what I think it an exceptional watch. Not a good watch, not a nice one - an exceptional one.
The Rolex you get rid of is great value for money. That isn't why I buy watches though.
Everyone has what they like. But I'll tell ya what - I think the Seiko SKX series was pure crap, shoddily assembled dive watches that even their most ardent fans used to apologize for. But did I ever, even once, invade a thread and bring that up? No way. Others like what they like.
The discussion started from my comment that a watch reviewer was drawing a long bow to connect the Seiko under review to a Rolex rather than the MM300 it does relate to; cos it was green and his mind appears to view Rolex as the watch reference point. Jesty stuff followed but its gone serious now.
So, please, don't tell me I'm "buying marketing," swayed by magazine ads, etc. Rolex is an exceptional product - the rest of the free world seems to have figured that out. If you're going to use price points for your reason for damning something that's actually a good product, that's your perogative.
I didn't tell you anything. I was just commenting on the reviewer's bias and my view of it.
But if you're gonna week after week find some reason to keep trying to slap the faces of myself and the other guys who happen to like Rolex, well, I'll find the block button - that's my perogative.
That is a bit "if you don't like my choices you don't like me".

You seem awesome, I'm less keen about Rolex. These things can co-exist for me but wasn't trying to harsh your mellow.

Return to “Seiko”