Review: Seiko “Monster” SRPD25

Racer-X (Online)
Senior Member & WIS

Review: Seiko “Monster” SRPD25

Post by Racer-X » April 17th 2020, 12:19pm

"There was a time not too long when the Seiko Monster was considered something of a left-field choice in the large range of Seiko dive watches. It certainly wasn’t as commonly recommended as the vaunted SKX007 and the many Turtles the brand has released in the last few years. While the specs and construction made it a serious tool watch, the design was a love-it or hate-it hunk of steel that barely resembled a watch, let alone other divers in the Seiko catalog. Like Brutalist architecture, the design of the original Monster was modular, bare, and characterized by an interest in the materials it was made from. You could call it the Boston City Hall of dive watches."

http://wornandwound.com/review/review-s ... er-srpd25/

koimaster
Founder

Re: Review: Seiko “Monster” SRPD25

Post by koimaster » April 17th 2020, 12:50pm

Used to have a first generation monster with an orange dial. No idea where it is anymore. That was the watch some has been tv shill claimed he made famous. :roll:

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Post by bbattle » April 18th 2020, 3:36pm

The Monster is a bit over the top for me. I liked my SKX, love my PADI Turtle even more.

It's not a bad looking watch but the hands are too fat, the bezel is a bit too wide and looks more like a saw blade. Those things make it more useful as a dive watch, less attractive as a desk diver.

The day/date is not to my taste but otherwise fine. Not sure why a dive watch needs them unless you're down for days in a HelOx chamber.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » April 18th 2020, 4:00pm

Back in the day the Monster was the inexpensive dive watch to own. It was almost comically cheap to buy, worked forever, and had lume that you could light a cigarette off of.
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » April 18th 2020, 5:29pm

biglove wrote:
April 18th 2020, 4:53pm
My first encounter with pin and collar links was on a Monster. The single worst watch invention of all time.
The Monster pin and collar system is probably the least loveable things about the watch. I've owned several, and I never was able to size the bracelet without losing at least one collar, and sometimes more. However, once the bracelet was properly sized, it held remarkably well.

As Russ says above, the cost of these first generation Monsters was often dirt cheap, and you could reliably sell them for pretty close of what you paid--and perhaps more, if you acquired one second-hand. If you owned a Monster and wanted to rise $150 PDQ, you could slap it up for sale at WUS, and sell it by the end of the day.
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » April 18th 2020, 6:01pm

biglove wrote:
April 18th 2020, 4:53pm
My first encounter with pin and collar links was on a Monster. The single worst watch invention of all time.
Yep. Screws or cotter pins are a far better solution. Dunno about Seiko, but the bracelets on some Citizen Promaster models, as well as every Rado with ceramic links, have that contraption. I don't know who invented the pin and collar system, but I firmly believe they should be tried for crimes against humanity.
You cannot explain away a wantonly immoral act, because you think that it is connected to some higher purpose.
Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: The Next Generation
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » April 18th 2020, 6:33pm

Racer-X wrote:
April 18th 2020, 6:27pm
Here's the PMWF guide I finally found back in the day. Having the right 'pushers' was the key.

See? How fucking easy is that??

--Hawkeye
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Post by Nuvolari » April 18th 2020, 7:04pm

Racer-X wrote:
April 18th 2020, 6:36pm
“I hit one of the buttons, and an ‘orange’ light came on... So, I also turned a few knobs and started pressing a bunch of other buttons and now there’s no power. And engine is making a ‘weird‘ noise. Also, is there any Gatorade left in the driver hydration unit, ‘cause every time I press the ‘drink‘ button the transmission up shifts?”

Return to “Seiko”