Seiko Commemorates 40 years of Gundam Anime

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Seiko Commemorates 40 years of Gundam Anime

Post by koimaster » April 10th 2019, 2:14pm

Seiko has released a trio of watches to commemorate 40 years of the Gundam anime franchise – building-sized robots firing missile storms as a porcupine would if it could shoot its quills, piloted by weepy juveniles, to the beat of furious techno. We could just run the watch pix and specs from the press release but that would mean very little to readers who’ve lived their recreational lives outside the embrace of the Gundam universe. Let us rather hijack this platform for a brief spell to explain why Gundam is anything but the above, while getting goosebumps listening to Gundam Seed sound track ‘Kimi wa Boku ni Niteiru’; we shan’t translate the title into English because the one offered by Google gives us unclean thoughts.

Gundam is a very diverse franchise with series like Gundam Build Fighters which fit the Saturday afternoon kiddie cartoon to a T, but in the main, it is a conglomeration of anime time lines that fall within the “space opera” genre. Quality varies, but the best Gundam series have some of the most poignant writing in any medium about war and peace, personal choices between aligning with larger powers or the possible futility of charting one’s one path, of friendship, death, competing loyalties, statecraft and the meaning of nearly everything. There’s food for thought aplenty; though one could simply enjoy the action and buy the figurines, and not forgetting the watches!

https://www.revolution.watch/seiko-comm ... dam-anime/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
Hawk
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Seiko Commemorates 40 years of Gundam Anime

Post by Hawk » April 10th 2019, 3:59pm

Looks like a good excuse to put some colourways (whatever they are) onto a Tuna.

I thought the tuna was more often reported at 50 or 51mm but I'm guessing the new stuff is the same case.

Between the concealed lugs and the titanium my example is more comfy than a Ball Aviator at 46mm and constitutes the sole example of my being ok with something that size. I'd probably be ok with one of the gundam thingamajigs but it's priced north of what I gave for the black Darth Vader spring drive. Still.... I missed the peacock so maybe.
And the fact I'm still living rent free in his head makes me grin and giggle.
...bobbee
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Post by tiktok » April 10th 2019, 6:04pm

I like the red one, worth putting a call out to Hong Kong to see if any float across the water. I would wear that size, I think the absurdity of the size makes it more like steampunk jewelry for an aged skinny hipster like me. I have several pairs of skinny hipster shoes that go with it.
Last edited by tiktok on April 10th 2019, 6:15pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Obsessed by a fairy tale, we spend our lives searching for a magic door and a lost kingdom of peace."
Eugene O'Neill.
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » April 10th 2019, 6:11pm

My opinion is: I don't like them. And what the fuck is Gundam?
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
H.P. Lovecraft

I'd send them all an animated gif of Ron Jeremy sucking his own cock.
Conjurer, of people asking about their Doxas
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » April 10th 2019, 7:51pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:My opinion is: I don't like them. And what the fuck is Gundam?

The part of the hobby store we walk by on the way to Warhammer.

I mention this only because everything they sell is marked "Nottingham, England". It's like that except robots instead of space marines.

Or so I've been told.
And the fact I'm still living rent free in his head makes me grin and giggle.
...bobbee
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » April 10th 2019, 9:34pm

Seiko inks a deal with some comic book horseshit Transformers-like crap. The mind reels. When I see the top-grossing movies, they are all Marvel comics retreads for dotards. Fuck that shit. Bring back movies aimed at adults, that make you think a little. Leave comic book bullshit to children, where it belongs.
My little brain can't even comprehend how deep that is.

--beefsupreme, commenting on his super rare Deep Blue wartche

**(@
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Pubbie » April 11th 2019, 1:54am

This sounds like something Omega would do. Oh, wait, they have.

Little toys for man-children with easy access to cheap credit. Pffft.

Gundam makes me start word association:

Gundam - All Your Base Are Belong To Us - Nissan GT-R - downtown Tokyo - drifting in traffic - the mystical ways of the East, etc.

Return to “Seiko”