Seiko Presage Arita Porcelain Dials

Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Seiko Presage Arita Porcelain Dials

Post by Racer-X » March 22nd 2019, 2:09am

"Having already used fired enamel and Japanese urushi lacquer for its Presage dials, Seiko has now turned to Arita porcelain.

Named after the town on the island of Kyushu where it is produced, Arita porcelain is prized for its delicacy and colour, but not well suited for dials in its fragile, natural state. So the dials of the new Presage watches are made from a new type of Arita porcelain that boasts four times the hardness of ordinary porcelain.

The dials are produced by Hiroyuki Hashiguchi, the chief of Arita porcelain maker Shingama. First, the porcelain is shaped in mould and then fired in an oven at 1300 degrees Celsius, before being glazed by hand with a spray gun and fired once again to set the glaze."

http://watchesbysjx.com/2019/03/seiko-presage-arita-porcelain.html
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Seiko Presage Arita Porcelain Dials

Post by tiktok » March 23rd 2019, 7:44pm

I have the previous two iterations, the enamel and the urushi and if I collected rationally this would be a no brainer but in terms of wrist presence I never wear them, they are both thick and dressy which is annoying as hell, bad combo. Once I decided that watch collecting would not be a core focus moving forward it has freed up a lot of headspace. I have 2 King Seikos incoming and am truly thinking of becoming a Rolex owner but I just bought two Hadley Roma straps, no exotic atelier straps. And a Dan Henry watch roll and dinner at the Oyster Bar.
"Obsessed by a fairy tale, we spend our lives searching for a magic door and a lost kingdom of peace."
Eugene O'Neill.

Return to “Seiko”