Seiko Marinemaster SBDB009 ‘Spring Drive Tuna’ Watch Review

TemerityB
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Seiko Marinemaster SBDB009 ‘Spring Drive Tuna’ Watch Rev

Post by TemerityB » December 25th 2015, 12:59pm

More proof that for serious diving, I'd wager that Seiko can't be beat. The middle part of that review where the author went far beyond the dive specs of the watch is just awesome.
Best of luck to all my longtime friends here. Please stay safe, always.
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Post by bedlam » December 25th 2015, 10:19pm

I don't think he understands the Spring Drive movement. He is pretty vague in his description but seems to suggest the watch is essentially a kinetic style movement. Totally wrong.

The watch, though, I want.
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
spanky1

Post by spanky1 » December 25th 2015, 11:44pm

bedlam wrote:I don't think he understands the Spring Drive movement. He is pretty vague in his description but seems to suggest the watch is essentially a kinetic style movement. Totally wrong.

You must have read a different review.

Quote"How? Well, think of Spring Drive as sort of a hybrid automatic movement, which takes the best of both quartz and mechanical movement worlds to achieve its insane accuracy, lengthy 72-hour power reserve, and that signature stutter-free sweeping seconds hand. Now, movement purists or retro grouches might want to tune out here, but Seiko accomplishes this by removing all the regulating elements from what would otherwise be in an automatic movement and replaces them with a single regulator, which takes kinetic energy drawn from the mainspring and turns it into electrical energy, which in turn keeps the quartz crystal continually charged. Think of it almost like a pedal-assist bicycle, jumping to life at the slightest movement and running smoothly for great lengths on end, though virtually indistinguishable from the outside.

Quote "Seiko’s spellbindingly smooth 5R65 Spring Drive movement, and a few other modern embellishments we’ll visit in a moment.

Quote "But arguably, the best part of this particular Seiko Marinemaster SBDB009 Spring Drive Tuna comes from within — the 5R65 is mechanically identical to the 9R65, though it’s fitted to this watch without much of the ultra high-end hand finishing signature to everything that comes out of Grand Seiko’s Morioka studio (which is where this watch is built), and is accurate to within 15 seconds per month.

I have no problem accepting the fact, he understands the engineering properties of the 5R65 Spring Drive Movement.
conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » December 26th 2015, 12:25am

The Seiko Tuna is, like other people's kids, I prefer to admire from afar rather than have one of my own. It is, of course, an absurdly cool diver; I love the lines, the design, and the engineering, but I'll never have one of my own, as I'm sure it'll be too fucking big, too fucking uncomfortable, and too fucking Seiko.

The same goes for Spring Drive. While it is, no doubt, very uber cool, accurate, and cutting edge, I don't want a watch with a movement that demands the attention that a Ferrari engine does, and requires me to send it seven thousand miles for a simple service.
tiktok

Post by tiktok » December 26th 2015, 1:24am

conjurer wrote:The Seiko Tuna is, like other people's kids, I prefer to admire from afar rather than have one of my own. It is, of course, an absurdly cool diver; I love the lines, the design, and the engineering, but I'll never have one of my own, as I'm sure it'll be too fucking big, too fucking uncomfortable, and too fucking Seiko.

The same goes for Spring Drive. While it is, no doubt, very uber cool, accurate, and cutting edge, I don't want a watch with a movement that demands the attention that a Ferrari engine does, and requires me to send it seven thousand miles for a simple service.

Wow, opposite minds think different. I was once a naysayer upon the gates of Spring Drive, in fact I was a naysayer in a past manifestation to all but hand crankers. I picked up my first spring drive earlier this year and love the damn thing. I have put it up against Ms Tikker's thermocompensated HAQ over a 5 week period (yeah, I get bored sometimes and do shit like that) and lost but it is hella accurate and a joy to wind and watch it glide through the seconds of the day. I have also been admiring the titanium work on Grand Seikos, they get a shine out of that damn gray metal that can't be beat so I started looking for a second GS spring drive in titanium. The Snowflake is an iconic model, the best selling GS but being the ferret that I am I found a limited edition with a blue dial which is great because I am wearing a lot of suits these days and most of my suits are blue and I am ghey when it comes to matching my clothes, my snot rag pocket square, yadayada. I work with people who take themselves very seriously superficially and Ms Tikker has to cut my nose and ear hairs before I go out into their world. Anyway I just ordered this beauty and will happily wear it in your place John. Should be here around the new year. It is part of their Historical Collection and was inspired by some important watch they came out with in the 60s. I like those sixties looking watches that GO makes but they are too big and spendy for a period piece. Shamelessly borrowed this shot, will post again when it's live.

bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Post by bedlam » December 26th 2015, 2:52am

spanky1 wrote:
bedlam wrote:I don't think he understands the Spring Drive movement. He is pretty vague in his description but seems to suggest the watch is essentially a kinetic style movement. Totally wrong.

You must have read a different review.

Quote"How? Well, think of Spring Drive as sort of a hybrid automatic movement, which takes the best of both quartz and mechanical movement worlds to achieve its insane accuracy, lengthy 72-hour power reserve, and that signature stutter-free sweeping seconds hand. Now, movement purists or retro grouches might want to tune out here, but Seiko accomplishes this by removing all the regulating elements from what would otherwise be in an automatic movement and replaces them with a single regulator, which takes kinetic energy drawn from the mainspring and turns it into electrical energy, which in turn keeps the quartz crystal continually charged. Think of it almost like a pedal-assist bicycle, jumping to life at the slightest movement and running smoothly for great lengths on end, though virtually indistinguishable from the outside.

Quote "Seiko’s spellbindingly smooth 5R65 Spring Drive movement, and a few other modern embellishments we’ll visit in a moment.

Quote "But arguably, the best part of this particular Seiko Marinemaster SBDB009 Spring Drive Tuna comes from within — the 5R65 is mechanically identical to the 9R65, though it’s fitted to this watch without much of the ultra high-end hand finishing signature to everything that comes out of Grand Seiko’s Morioka studio (which is where this watch is built), and is accurate to within 15 seconds per month.

I have no problem accepting the fact, he understands the engineering properties of the 5R65 Spring Drive Movement.

You are a picky bastard spanky, and it feels like you look to disagree.

His description is vague as to what causes the watch to 'spring to life' when he has just been talking about electrical energy firing up the quartz regulator.
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by eddiea » December 26th 2015, 5:37am

conjurer wrote:T I don't want a watch with a movement that demands the attention that a Ferrari engine does, and requires me to send it seven thousand miles for a simple service.

Seiko USA will happily service your Spring Drive and will handle the trip to Japan if needed which can and do happen once in a while with all high-end Seikos (including those fitted with the 8L35 mov. ;) )
Seiko Corporation of America - Service Center
1111 Macarthur Boulevard, Mahwah, NJ 07430, U.S.A.
Tel:+1-201-529-3316
Fax:+1-201-529-4525
E-mail:[email protected]
Last edited by eddiea on May 12th 2016, 5:59pm, edited 5 times in total.

Return to “Seiko”