JOMW: "Seiko'S QC is GARBAGE!"

Post Reply
User avatar
TemerityB
ASSHAT
Posts: 17816
Joined: June 12th 2010, 10:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

JOMW: "Seiko'S QC is GARBAGE!"

Post by TemerityB » July 17th 2021, 3:52pm

Finally, someone in what passes as the "watch media" has the stones to publicly state while I've been railing about for five years.

The best quote from Jody Musgrove here: "It seems at Seiko over the past couple of years as the prices have gone up, the quality control has gone down." Which, for my money, is the most honest thing any watch review on any form of media has stated in the last 25 years. Consider me now a huge fan.

Look, I'm not into bashing; that's the province of cheapskates who throw rocks at watches they can't afford. But anyone who looks at Seiko as anything more than The Japanese Invicta in 2021 needs to put the pom poms down, for the sake of their own wallets.

The Best Invicta Ever is: The ones you used to own. - Boscoe
User avatar
Mark1
Founding Member & Master of Time
Posts: 8466
Joined: December 19th 2009, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Oregon
Contact:

Re: JOMW: "Seiko'S QC is GARBAGE!"

Post by Mark1 » July 17th 2021, 4:45pm

My exposure to Seiko is more limited than a lot of people here but I've never had a problem with any of their stuff.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
User avatar
jason_recliner
ASSHAT
Posts: 8194
Joined: September 17th 2011, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: JOMW: "Seiko'S QC is GARBAGE!"

Post by jason_recliner » July 17th 2021, 9:04pm

Disclaimer: I've been out of the game so long I initially thought JOMW was an Archie Luxury reference.

I perceived a subjective, anecdotal decline in Seiko quality maybe five to eight years ago. Looking in jewelers the last couple of years I felt like they'd improved, their quality is once again very good, at least as good as other similarly priced brands e.g. Hamilton, Tissot. I haven't bought a Seiko (or any other watch) in years, so I haven't studied them with the microscopic detail this jerk off expert has, but I'm interested now. I'll try to look at some new watches very closely and report back.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
User avatar
jason_recliner
ASSHAT
Posts: 8194
Joined: September 17th 2011, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: JOMW: "Seiko'S QC is GARBAGE!"

Post by jason_recliner » July 17th 2021, 11:15pm

jason_recliner wrote:
July 17th 2021, 9:04pm
Disclaimer: I've been out of the game so long I initially thought JOMW was an Archie Luxury reference.

I perceived a subjective, anecdotal decline in Seiko quality maybe five to eight years ago. Looking in jewelers the last couple of years I felt like they'd improved, their quality is once again very good, at least as good as other similarly priced brands e.g. Hamilton, Tissot. I haven't bought a Seiko (or any other watch) in years, so I haven't studied them with the microscopic detail this jerk off expert has, but I'm interested now. I'll try to look at some new watches very closely and report back.
Looked at quite a few watches now, some divers, Presage, various other types. Looked pretty good. Not sure what this Expert watch reviewer bitch is whinging about!
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
User avatar
jason_recliner
ASSHAT
Posts: 8194
Joined: September 17th 2011, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: JOMW: "Seiko'S QC is GARBAGE!"

Post by jason_recliner » July 17th 2021, 11:18pm

jason_recliner wrote:
July 17th 2021, 11:15pm
jason_recliner wrote:
July 17th 2021, 9:04pm
Disclaimer: I've been out of the game so long I initially thought JOMW was an Archie Luxury reference.

I perceived a subjective, anecdotal decline in Seiko quality maybe five to eight years ago. Looking in jewelers the last couple of years I felt like they'd improved, their quality is once again very good, at least as good as other similarly priced brands e.g. Hamilton, Tissot. I haven't bought a Seiko (or any other watch) in years, so I haven't studied them with the microscopic detail this jerk off expert has, but I'm interested now. I'll try to look at some new watches very closely and report back.
Looked at quite a few watches now, some divers, Presage, various other types. Looked pretty good. Not sure what this Expert watch reviewer bitch is whinging about!
Fucked up the quotes.

Expert watch reviewer.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
Posts: 32882
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: JOMW: "Seiko'S QC is GARBAGE!"

Post by conjurer » July 17th 2021, 11:33pm

Update: Having bothered to watch the video, I am, somewhat surprisingly, gobsmacked. I had been been close, several times, close to ordering one of the Sharp Edged GMTs from Seiko.

In the past, I have had to explain myself many times regarding Valjoux chronograph movements and my quite unacceptable experience with them. I have owned, now, four 7750s and a heavily modified 7753; of those, now, three have gone wrong very shortly after buying them. Two of them had issues with the crowns/winding, and one had issues with the chrono reset. This means that well over half of the the Valjoux chrono watches i have owned have failed, in one way or another, very soon after purchase, which means that I am highly unlikely to ever buy a watch with a Valjoux movement again.

Now, that we have photographic evidence of Seiko doing the same fucking thing, well, I can't well get around this. This is not acceptable.

There has never been a bigger Seiko fanboi than I. I still think that the SKX007 is one of the greatest, most iconic dive watches in history. Alas, history begins today, and if Seiko is asking well over a grand US for a watch, they'd better fucking make sure it's fucking perfect.
User avatar
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time
Posts: 9361
Joined: November 25th 2012, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Re: JOMW: "Seiko'S QC is GARBAGE!"

Post by 3Flushes » July 18th 2021, 2:25pm

TemerityB wrote:
July 17th 2021, 3:52pm
...anyone who looks at Seiko as anything more than The Japanese Invicta in 2021 needs to put the pom poms down, for the sake of their own wallets.
Misaligned bezels on divers and issues with movements have been problems for some time. This falls right in line with their deceptive markings to obfuscate the country of origin of watches that are made in Chinese territories - as their manufacturing has become more diffuse, it stands to reason that worsening QC issues would follow.
Last edited by 3Flushes on July 19th 2021, 2:03pm, edited 3 times in total.
^^^Copyright ©️ 2020 3flushes Media.^^^
User avatar
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
Posts: 3725
Joined: December 7th 2016, 2:47pm
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Re: JOMW: "Seiko'S QC is GARBAGE!"

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » July 18th 2021, 6:51pm

I have seen shitty QC in a number of brands. However, the issues he shows occurring in pricey models from Seiko are simply among the worst I’ve seen so far within this price range. They’ve been jacking up the prices while simultaneously replacing the 6R15 with the NH35 aka 4R35. As the Rules of Acquisition have it, the flimsier the product, the higher the price.
That „snow” on the Timegrapher generated by the 6R35 is completely unacceptable, and just proves that issues with modern Seikos go well beyond just shitty alignment.
Oh, and the crumbs on that dial... Fuck, no.

No more Seiko for me, I’ll stick with my SNXS79. It doesn’t have anyone’s lunch on the dial.
I always hope for the best. Experience, unfortunately, has taught me to expect the worst.
Elim Garak, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

No good deed ever goes unpunished.
Rule of Acquisition no.285
User avatar
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
Posts: 3725
Joined: December 7th 2016, 2:47pm
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Re: JOMW: "Seiko'S QC is GARBAGE!"

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » July 19th 2021, 6:24pm

conjurer wrote:
July 17th 2021, 11:33pm
Update: Having bothered to watch the video, I am, somewhat surprisingly, gobsmacked. I had been been close, several times, close to ordering one of the Sharp Edged GMTs from Seiko.

In the past, I have had to explain myself many times regarding Valjoux chronograph movements and my quite unacceptable experience with them. I have owned, now, four 7750s and a heavily modified 7753; of those, now, three have gone wrong very shortly after buying them. Two of them had issues with the crowns/winding, and one had issues with the chrono reset. This means that well over half of the the Valjoux chrono watches i have owned have failed, in one way or another, very soon after purchase, which means that I am highly unlikely to ever buy a watch with a Valjoux movement again.

Now, that we have photographic evidence of Seiko doing the same fucking thing, well, I can't well get around this. This is not acceptable.

There has never been a bigger Seiko fanboi than I. I still think that the SKX007 is one of the greatest, most iconic dive watches in history. Alas, history begins today, and if Seiko is asking well over a grand US for a watch, they'd better fucking make sure it's fucking perfect.
Which ones exactly have gone wrong?

Alas, most Swiss chronographs in a not-so-loopy price range are based on the 775X architecture. Longines L688, column-wheel La Joux-Perret, A. Rochat 7750 base with the flyback function...
I always hope for the best. Experience, unfortunately, has taught me to expect the worst.
Elim Garak, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

No good deed ever goes unpunished.
Rule of Acquisition no.285
Post Reply

Return to “Seiko”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest